Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Organizating / stowing - help please

I'm determined to at least START with a well organized coach - and I'm relentlessly throwing out stuff if I don't have room for it. Where I've already run into trouble is for the kitchen - which in the Eddie Bauer 25 FB is a LOT smaller than in the other FB layouts. If you look at the pictures (New Airstreams for Sale, Used Airstream Trailers for Sale, Airstream Mercedes Sprinter Interstate for Sale, Flying Cloud, Bambi, Classic, Sport - used inventory - way at the bottom under "sold" units) you'll see three drawers on the left and one shelf under it. On the right there are three somewhat shallow shelves AND the lobster bowl sink's drain intrudes in the top shelf. I'm sure stackable pots can fit under that drain though. Problem is that the bottom shelf is half the depth of the other two. I don't know what to use that space for. I can see that I'll have a max of 2 thin cutting boards and one cookie sheet and cake and pie pans are going to be disposables. Where would you stow plastic wrap, aluminum foil, ziploc bags, spices, etc? I use a teapot and either a single serve filter or a French press for coffee. I really do like my induction burner with it's pan and steamer. Where could I put these? The teapot can travel IN the sink.

I've already decided the Dutch ovens and Volcano Cooker will go in a footlocker in the truck along with the big spoon, fork, spatula, and tongs.

I have the convection microwave so nothing heavy can be stowed in it.

I'm actually thinking about getting a traditional woven wood picnic basket for a new set of Corelle and stowing that under the seat next to the refrigerator. I had that stuff in the overhead cabinet in the old 25. I kept bottled water in the cabinet under the frig in the old unit - planning to put it there this time too. What do you stow in the small cabinet under the microwave and in the narrow pantry? Non-refrigerated groceries in the overhead cabinet? Paper towel holder?

Argh! It's a puzzlement.

All tools will go in the truck bed with the exception of a #2 phillips head screw driver and a straight blade screw driver - I just use those very frequently.

Sewing stuff is all going over the dinette except for the machine(s) a featherweight and a serger... Those will have to go under the bed I'm afraid.

I've already labeled all of the many many light switches (the former owner added a bunch of stuff including 4 scare lights and it takes a while to find the right switches!)

So I'm open to suggestions. Paula

Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Good start!

It sounds like you are off to great start with re-organizing. You will figure out what is best for you as you go and you can always re-do what you don't like.
My microwave gets the potato chip bag! Light and keeps them from getting roughed up!
Good luck!

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
We had a 25 sometime back. One of the reasons we upgraded to the 28 was the additional drawer space in the galley.

That said, we used the 25 for 3 years and successfully stowed all our gear. The half-depth shelf worked for us for square Tupperware boxes holding our dry stores such as breakfast cereal. Some pots and pans rode in the oven, along with a small 12v slow cooker. The slow cooker plugged into a cigarette lighter outlet and rode in the sink while cooking our dinner while under way.

We use a nesting set of pots I bought at Camping World years ago. It is a hassle to unstack them to get to a small pot, but the space saving is worth it. The only heavy utensil is a cast iron griddle which is flat and stored in the bottom of the oven.

I hate sharp knives in drawers, so I made a knife rack to get the sharp knives out of the drawers. If you look around, you might find an off-the shelf rack that can be modified. I also made a rack for on the wall over the stove to hold spices and a can of Pam or other cooking spray. Again, if you look around, an off-the-shelf rack can be modified.

I use steel paper clips in place of plastic bag clips. The steel clips don't break and are a lot smaller than plastic clips. I store them on a magnet on the wall over the stove.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You may want to invest in some over-the-cabinet-door racks. I use one rack to hold cleaning supplies (Windex, Easy-Off, etc.) and one towel bar that holds dish towels, and one to hold a paper towel roll. I don't have very many cabinet doors in my Interstate to hold racks, but I have something hung on every cabinet door where something will fit.

To make sure the racks don't bounce loose in transit, once you've got them where you want them, you might want to secure them in place with screws through the flat portion of the hangers. Round-head Phillips wood screws should work best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Problem is that the bottom shelf is half the depth of the other two. I don't know what to use that space for.
You answer your own question below, I think…

Quote:
Where would you stow plastic wrap, aluminum foil, ziploc bags, spices, etc?
That half-height bottom shelf for the foil, Saran wrap, Ziplog bags, etc.

Quote:
But it's fine for lightweight stuff, like paper towel rolls, paper plates, napkins, folded tablecloths, stuff that you'd unpack for use anyway before you start cooking.

Quote:
What do you stow in the small cabinet under the microwave and in the narrow pantry?
Canned goods. Most cans are taller than they are wide, and so fit best in narrow spaces anyway.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Finally, something I can actually help with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm determined to at least START with a well organized coach - and I'm relentlessly throwing out stuff if I don't have room for it. Where I've already run into trouble is for the kitchen - which in the Eddie Bauer 25 FB is a LOT smaller than in the other FB layouts. If you look at the pictures (New Airstreams for Sale, Used Airstream Trailers for Sale, Airstream Mercedes Sprinter Interstate for Sale, Flying Cloud, Bambi, Classic, Sport - used inventory - way at the bottom under "sold" units) you'll see three drawers on the left and one shelf under it. On the right there are three somewhat shallow shelves AND the lobster bowl sink's drain intrudes in the top shelf. I'm sure stackable pots can fit under that drain though. Problem is that the bottom shelf is half the depth of the other two. I don't know what to use that space for. I can see that I'll have a max of 2 thin cutting boards and one cookie sheet and cake and pie pans are going to be disposables. Where would you stow plastic wrap, aluminum foil, ziploc bags, spices, etc?

There are very nice magnetic spice jars and racks, if you have somewhere to put those.

Our wrap boxes go in the empty space under the bottom utensil drawer. If you have one of those, that is just the right height and otherwise unused space.

I use a teapot and either a single serve filter or a French press for coffee. I really do like my induction burner with it's pan and steamer. Where could I put these? The teapot can travel IN the sink.

I've already decided the Dutch ovens and Volcano Cooker will go in a footlocker in the truck along with the big spoon, fork, spatula, and tongs.

We keep crackers, biscotti, etc., in ours, in a rubbermaid container so they can be easily removed when needed.

I have seen those muslin-type, over-door shoe storage units on the inside of closet or pantry doors, with canned goods and heavier items in them. Work very well.

I'm actually thinking about getting a traditional woven wood picnic basket for a new set of Corelle and stowing that under the seat next to the refrigerator. I had that stuff in the overhead cabinet in the old 25. I kept bottled water in the cabinet under the frig in the old unit - planning to put it there this time too. What do you stow in the small cabinet under the microwave and in the narrow pantry? Non-refrigerated groceries in the overhead cabinet? Paper towel holder?

I found a magnetic paper towel holder online, which I have on the heat shield over the burners. Sets high enough that cooking is not a problem.

We take everything we can put of bulky boxes and put them into ziploc bags....pasta, coffee, etc., also the bags themselves. Each size in one of its' own, all then in one large bag. We like things that take up only the space of what is inside of them.

Argh! It's a puzzlement.

All tools will go in the truck bed with the exception of a #2 phillips head screw driver and a straight blade screw driver - I just use those very frequently.

Sewing stuff is all going over the dinette except for the machine(s) a featherweight and a serger... Those will have to go under the bed I'm afraid.

I've already labeled all of the many many light switches (the former owner added a bunch of stuff including 4 scare lights and it takes a while to find the right switches!)

So I'm open to suggestions. Paula

Maggie
Old 07-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
If your trailer is anything like mine, there are some unused spaces that can be accessed with a little work.

For instance, I have 3 drawers in a stack with a blank panel underneath them. By taking out a drawer, I found that there was a lot of free space in there. By banging on the back of the blank front with a padded hammer, I was able to pull out the staples and gain access to the space. In my case, I built and installed a shorter drawer, but it would have been really easy to simply hinge the blank drawer front to make access to the space easier.

Another free space was a blank panel under the oven. I also knocked this panel out, hinged it, and installed two bins of the type sold to go in front of a home kitchen sink. That provided a good space for two folding umbrellas right by the entry door.

The other thing I did was to double-deck the upper cabinets. More can be stored and it is easier to get to the items on the bottom. Our dinner plates go under the bowls and other smaller items.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We put toilet paper into big ziploc bags, too, and stow these and paper towel rolls in the oddly shaped dead space under the frdge....on top of whatever it is that is under there.

We also use those flexible, handled totes you can find at Hobby Lobby, etc., under the sink, for cleaning supplies. They are relatively narrow, and can be set whichever way space allows.

Maggie
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
If your trailer is anything like mine, there are some unused spaces that can be accessed with a little work.

For instance, I have 3 drawers in a stack with a blank panel underneath them. By taking out a drawer, I found that there was a lot of free space in there. By banging on the back of the blank front with a padded hammer, I was able to pull out the staples and gain access to the space. In my case, I built and installed a shorter drawer, but it would have been really easy to simply hinge the blank drawer front to make access to the space easier.

Another free space was a blank panel under the oven. I also knocked this panel out, hinged it, and installed two bins of the type sold to go in front of a home kitchen sink. That provided a good space for two folding umbrellas right by the entry door.

The other thing I did was to double-deck the upper cabinets. More can be stored and it is easier to get to the items on the bottom. Our dinner plates go under the bowls and other smaller items.
Paula, I have the Container Store marked for my longest road trip out of here next year to see to Johns' suggestions on making "unused" space work . . some of those areas are deep. If I find a suitable or near-suitable container for small things -- instead of a drawer -- then my time spent in the parking lot going back & forth from the store will have been worthwhile as modding/hingeing is easier than fitting a drawer.

And this approach may work for some of the tubs I keep under the truck bed topper (boxes within boxes). Same for better organization all around even if it takes more space . . keeping up with discarding stuff is a bit more important to me for now thus packing and re-packing have a ways to go before calling the trailer "finished".

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Paula, we put things like boxes of Saran Wrap,aluminium foil, and zip lock bags in the space below the convection oven. We try not to place much stuff in the convection oven. We've found that things like bread and chips are ok. Our pantry is like yours, so my wife is always looking for old Tupperware containers to store spices etc. they can be found cheap, especially if the lids are missing. After putting the small frequently used stuff on the door, we'll pit some small cans on the door. We put the rest of our cans in a plastic container and stow under the benches. I've found some at Target that will fit. Depending on what you have in your trailer, the bins can fit under your seats too. We have learned to keep heavy stuff low.

Using the space above and below the refrigerator is a challenge, but things like coffee, corn bread and cake mixes will fit, it just takes some creativity...

We store our pot and pans under one of the benches. Depending on the length of our trip we will also store our Dutch oven, and hibachi under the seats, unless its a really long trip, then they will be in the truck bed. We have a large Corning percolator that we wrap in bubble wrap and store in either our clothes drawer, or in a low safe space.

Under the sink is difficult. Our cabinet is round like the sink. So we just keep some cleaning supplies, plastic shopping bags(for trash and...), and a small dust pan and broom. We have a drawer under the rear corner seat, and this is where we keep our adult beverages...

After almost three years, we are still trying to perfect how we store stuff, which is a good thing because we still have empty spaces...

Good Luck
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I stole this idea from BAB and turned my wardrobe into a pantry. Gives me a lot more usable space. But I have to leave my suit coat at home.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ng-102810.html

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
But I have to leave my suit coat at home.
No, you don't. Mercedes Benz makes a very nice coat hanger that fits on the front seat headrests. I use one in mine to hold my raincoat on the back of the passenger-side front seat, convenient to the side door. Side noteó the picture is courtesy of Mercedes Benz, and shows a European Sprinter with right-hand driveó anyway, the hanger is available through the parts department of your local Mercedes dealer (doesn't even have to be a Sprinter dealer). Ask for part number B66560416.

You can find one-size-fits-all aftermarket hangers that are similar, and I used to have one, but the MB model is better quality.
Attached Images

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Hey Paula - I have a 2012 Eddie Bauer too - and I'm a Virgo who loves to organize. I got a bunch of the big ziploc type stuff bags that you can shrink down with a hand vacuum to put my towels and sheets and out of season stuff in. shrink them down and keep them in the bin above the bed. use soft stuff sacks for socks and pjs and foldable stuff - keep those in the overhead above my bed too. hanging stuff in the closet by the bed. for the "hall" closet, i got a small 3 drawer storage unit to put all my cleaning and easily accessible stuff in - and I use that closet more as a big pantry and catchall for small appliances and step stools and vacuum and med kit and stuff. the small/tall cabinet above the pullout pantry is where i stow my cookie sheets, cutting boards, foil and wraps, trash bags and stuff. the small cabinet under the stove is for canned goods. i stow my tea pot and a few pans in the oven. the coffeemaker rides in the sink when driving. I stack all my melamine plates and bowls nested in each other under the sink. got magnetized spice containers from world market that i labeled that attach to the top of the stove vent. other spices fit in a rubber serving bowl under the sink. got small scale kitchen gadgets that all fold flat for the drawers. to help with the lack of storage in the back end/kitchen table area - i bought 6 folding cloth bins from the container store, that i use as: a junk drawer, office stuff, dog stuff, other cookware that nests in itself, games/fun stuff, etc. and I still have room to tuck my 3man grill and my folding chairs and tables up under the long back galley couch. I've had my Eddie Bauer for 2.5 years and it's taken a BUNCH of editing and creativity to rid myself of the stuff i don't need - but I'm getting there. Holler if you need more ideas

Please spay and neuter your pets. And ADOPT, don't buy a critter. They are counting on us to do the right thing.
Pinky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Pinky65, you really have some great ideas! We are still waiting to get our Eddie Bauer, but sure appreciate all this information!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Eliminating boxes helps us with storage

I'm new to this (we just bought out 30 ft Classic six weeks ago) so I'm learning as I go - I love seeing what everyone else has done. Here are a few tips I've discovered about kitchen storage.

I've found that eliminating boxes of all kinds helps me store more in my kitchen storage. I use a lot of Ziploc bags in various sizes, but hate the boxes, so I take all the bags out of the box and store them inside one bag, then write the size on the outside of the bag so I can see at a glance which is which.
I use parchment paper for baking - I eliminated the box by precutting the parchment sheets into the correct size for my mini baking sheet. They also go into a gallon zip bag. I take the rolls of foil and plastic wrap out of the boxes - I can use scissors to cut what I need, but eliminating boxes helps with storage. Whenever I buy boxes of food items, if I can take the food out of the box and store it is a bag I do - easier to "squish" bags into smaller spaces. I have also found that empty Crystal Light containers are great for small quantities of baking supplies like baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, etc. They are tall, slender, and usuing several side by side, they store quite nicely.

Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery;
Today is a Gift from God; That's why they call it the Present.
VicKetchum is offline   Reply With Quote