Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Stillwater (last known) , United States
Question On The Road Fitness: Best 24 Hour Gym Membership

Greetings all -

Has anyone, after committing to a full time life, started really missing a gym? I've been on the road 3 years now and my health has suffered by not weight training enough.

I have some dumb bells, I can turn a storage tub into a bench to do flys etc. . . but the environment and weather often make it seem impossible -

I'm primarily on the West Coast, Seattle to San Diego 10, months out of the year. I've started to research the 24hr gyms that have come along. Any pointers? Tips? I'm in primarily urban or suburban areas. .

thanks in advance!
nick_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
well.. if you wash and polish your AS every day, you will have an investment in both!!

Only half kidding...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Check out 24 hour fitness or plant fitness they are starting to pop up around places. Also daily burn on the internet might help too! But just walking is really good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Get a TRX. I used it while deployed in Afghanistan and it won't get you bulked like free weights, it will keep you in shape and build core strength. I still use it today to supplement my free weight workouts.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Figuring out how I can get in squats and deadlifts has been a puzzle. But weighted pushup's can be just as effective as the bench.

I'm thinking of trying crossfit style training, maybe getting some chains to pull the spare tire around.

But also interested in this. Lifting heavy is good for T levels, especially as you get older.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Have you tried the YMCA? I am a member here in Michigan, and we have found that every YMCA that we have ever visited has accepted our membership. In many cases, we'll contact the Executive Director at a branch near where we want to stay and they gladly give us permission to boondock in the parking lot over night!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Chimacum , Washington
FLMarine-do you use the TRX inside your AS? If so, how do you anchor it? This looks like a great way to keep if shape.
rs52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Fitness 19

I belong to Fitness 19. I'm lucky enough that my AARP insurance has a 'silver sneaker' program so my membership is free. I just took the paperwork over to them and got a badge. It's bare bones, no pools or saunas, indoor track, etc. but they have nice equipment.

I retired in 2013 and for the first year I was pretty good about it. When we travel I usually just run, no weights. I need to change that to doing some upper body. After the first year I drifted, especially when traveling. I kept running but then last fall I injured the left foot and now I'm really getting out of shape again.

Fitness 19 has a lot of places along the left coast, but not in Oregon. I think the membership badge will get you into any of them. Maybe not the perfect solution but at least somewhat convenient.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote