Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2015 30' International
Granville , Ohio
Ohio couple getting set to "full-time" we think?

My wife of 40 yrs and I have decided, after much contemplation, to sell our too expensive Ohio condo and "full-time it" in a 30' AS TT. 8 mos in OH and 4 mos in FL. As several others have posted it is tough to decide what trailer and what tow vehicle is best. Oh, if only money wasn't a factor! Ha. We LOVE the 30' International Signature and a 2015 model seems best because of the new AC duct system but above our initial budget. I saw for sale a 2012 AS Classic and Tow Vehicle for $87,000 ($59k for AS) and that total price seems perfect for us. HOWEVER, I recently read about bad floors in 2012 models and the cabinets were ugly which steers us back to a 2015 Int Sig, hmm. Definitely want to stay below $100k total (TT & TV). Any help? Tons more newbie questions tumbling in our heads and we are cautiously fired up about our decision.

(from Ohio)

marcusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We don't think 2012 Classic cabinets are ugly, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They are solid wood (hickory) while the International cabinets are laminate-covered plywood, which is also a good, durable cabinet. The solid wood cabinets can be sanded and refinished to repair damage or wear.

From 2012 and after Airstream began putting a seal around a very leak-prone joint between the rear bumper plate and body shell. This has apparently been very effective. The floors in 2012 models are otherwise the same as any other, plywood subfloor with a vinyl covering of various patterns.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
2015 30' International
Granville , Ohio
Hey, Doug thanks! My wife actually suggested that we could possibly "Gel stain" them and with your reply you have given us confidence in doing just that.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Good Luck

We follow a couple that attempted full-timing in Ohio, they have decided to stop that after their first year. Because OHIO. I'm in Girard, OH now, I can't imagine why you'd want to stay here.

Not all Airstreams have floor issues, if they are maintained, and a new one can develop the same issue. You're also taking a huge depreciation hit if you buy a 2015.

I only spent $1250.00 to fix my floor and leak on my 2007 myself. And it took two weekends. One to fix the floor, one to put down new flooring.
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
2015 30' International
Granville , Ohio
Actually we plan to stay the winter in Nokomis, FL and then the other eight months in Ohio. I still work full-time and FL offers additional opportunity for me, plus it is warm and we are tired of cold winters! Selling our condo and hoping to own an AS by Sept. Thanks for your comments, I am feeling much better about buying an earlier model AS.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Are you sure you can full time it in an Airstream TT? I have some friends who tried it and gave it up within 6 months. I love our Airstream but living in one full time wouldn't work for us either.

All the more reason to buy used, just in case it really wasn't as good as you expected.
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before!"

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
2015 30' International
Granville , Ohio
Are we sure we can go full-time in an Airstream?? Yes, and God willing. Well, my wife and I have good resolve and the fact that we could actually live in FL and OH is the appeal, plus we can live cheaper and business in FL too. We are not doing it for kicks, although we are excited about it, but rather it appears to be a good way to accomplish the goals we have. BTW, I now agree that buying used is the way to go (although the constant improvements of new models truly temps me).

Also, we talked to two couple who did this full-time. One was a couple that was coming off one year full-time (in a 5th wheeler) and who just bought a 28" Eddie Bauer to continue full-time living, even smaller. My wife Julie is at least as "on board" with this as I am. She is a very cool lady.

It is very helpful that you replied, I really appreciate it. We're jumping hurdles to attain this sooner rather than later and July hopes to be huge for us, I'll keep you "posted". Thanks again, Mark
Old 07-02-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
From a fellow full timer, I wish you both the best of happiness.

Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote