Old 08-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Arrow Newbie seeks advice/opinions :-)

This is my first post on this forum!!! Found it last week, and Boy o Boy am I GLAD I did

Me & my husband plan to fulltime in the new year as he will be traveling for work and I studying for my masters. Wifi so this is the perfect opportunity for us. Thing is we are on a budget who isn't, managed to save our pennies over the last couple of years to upgrade our current vehicle and prob fiannce our first full-time rv. Initially we where going to go with a all season rv trailer but after MUCH reserach I have decided to go with a Airstream

Still researching models and floor plans and pricing

I have JUST a feW QUESTIONS that I would appropriate some advise / wisdom on

1. Being if we purchases a ford f150 ecoboost 2011 which can tow max 11,300
What airstreams are within our range within our needs.

So here is goes...... We need the following

1. A rear bed and ideally a two double beds ( Because we have a dog large dog)
And I'd like him to be able to sleep on the floor inbetween us Love the fur ball enough to sacrifice a Queen.

2. A model above 27 feet is ideal but something we can tow with the above noted vehicle

3. Full shower with door would be nice maybe we will have to add a door?

Any suggestion, years etc appreciated or further advise

And lastly we will be renting a pad for under $900 mth yup BC its pricing here in Canada and I know we will have electrically hook ups, I'm wounded if we have that do we still use PROPANE?? Whats the propane for? I'm also looking into installing a heater like a small "sardine" because I like of grid options

Thx for reading and helping with this HUGE decision in our life's

Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California

The LP gas runs your appliances. They would draw too much electricity otherwise.

11,300 lb capacity will pull a trailer full of horses, the aluminum Airstream will be like an afterthought.

Eartheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Early this year we purchased a 34' 1984 International, a triple axle. It's a significantly longer trailer than we were in the market for - we were planning on a 27 model - but now we're glad for the the space.

We've got three young kids, and have added a bunk to the twin beds. It's a comfortable small bedroom, large enough to curl up and play on a rainy day. The dinette makes dinner time easy and the large galley means we can actually cook. My wife and I sleep on the modified gaucho, which has been enlarged to be a full queen - larger actually, as it is longer than a queen.

We're planning on keeping this trailer until we're old and the kids have moved out, then go and live in it. I stayed in it on Thursday night and thought at the time how spacious and lovely it was and how easily I could see ourselves live in the space.

It weighs in at 6250lbs empty, just over 7000lbs loaded. It tows straight as an arrow and the six large drum brakes easily brake both the trailer and the tow vehicle, as was demonstrated to me when I took possession.

If you're not set on buying new, the mid to late 1980's trailers are highly recommended. Sturdy, yet light, well built and just awesome vehicles all round. Next year we'll install a composting toilet and another 300 watts of solar (we've got 100 watts right now). I'll use both waste tanks for grey water, making this trailer an off-grid machine.

To answer your questions, propane is used to heat your water, heat the trailer, cook and chill. It's kind of important.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thanks a million Andy :-)
Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ok Happydays here goes

First, your tow vehicle.
There are LOTS of posts on here about opinions on towing. I will share with you as a late model F150 owner. Great choice of truck BUT be aware that while the MAX towing capability of an F150 is 11,300 lbs, most do not tow that much. You have to have the max tow package and I believe the max payload package on the truck from the factory. There are three different packages and F150 trucks have to list it on window sticker- don't assume. Also, more importantly, the max payload of the truck is critical. That is the tongue weight of the trailer+ all equipment and people weights combined- not to be exceeded. For example, 2013 F150 super crew ecoboosts have a payload of 1750-1930 lbs if not a limited model. The 1930 is max payload pkg. The towing capacity of the same trucks are 8500, 9400 and 9800 lbs, the max tow (heavy duty) package takes it to 11,300 lbs. My Airstream, a 25' model with full LP tanks has a tongue weight of 980 lbs- very close to 1000 lbs to subtract from my payload figure. The trailer gross is 7000 lbs to tow. You see, my payload figure on my F150 is 1548. So I only have about 568 lbs for me and my stuff in the truck and anyone else. So, check the truck specs before you buy. The Airstreams up to 28 are about as big as you can go with an F150 unless you have a custom hitch. Reason? The hitch has an 1100 or so pound limit. The 28' tongue weight is 976 without LP gas. It is the heaviest tongue weight FC. So careful there but you could even do a 30' by the weight. Some older models are lighter. Most people who have the large Airstreams tow with bigger trucks 250's and bigger. Personally I would not go longer than 27' given the weight limits with an F150 on payload UNLESS you go MAX HD TOW Pkg.

You will not find a two double bed bedroom in an 8' wide trailer but your puppies could sleep up front on a sofa or on a lounge in the front area.

Propane is your friend in a camper. It is heat, it is cooking, , it is your fridge when not hooked to electric, it is hot water.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
You're welcome.

I was in a hurry earlier, so let me elaborate a little on the propane. Propane is used because, unlike electricity, you can store a lot of energy in a bottle of propane.

Your stove and oven both run on propane. So unless you're planning on microwaving everything, you'll need propane for that.

Propane also powers your fridge, when you're off-grid. Airstream fridges can run on electricity or gas, depending on what's available. They actually tend to cool better on gas, counter-intuitive as that may sound.

Your furnace runs on gas, keeping you warm on a cool night.

And finally, your water heater is also gas-powered. Six gallons take about 30 minutes to heat up.

Weight-wise, I 100% agree with rodsterinfl. You will need to watch your payload. We use our trailer for weekend getaways, and we look at those as more luxurious camping rather than taking our house with us. Meaning, we're travelling light, don't carry firewood or generators.

Full-timers often use their tow vehicle as the equivalent of an attic, storing stuff that doesn't belong elsewhere. If you start doing that, you'll soon reach the limit of your truck.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That truck will easily tow any Airstream made.

2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote