Old 06-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Smile Hi Jane,

If you are traveling alone there should not be a problem with space. I am a photographer, I have a windows laptop and a iMac computer for my photos, also a Epson Stylus Photo R2400 printer (big), it all fits in very well.

Best of luck with your dream,it will happen.

Bryon.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sonoma County , California
Aage, yes, getting rid of the Visa bills, getting a steady $4,000+ a month online, and some cash in hand is the primary goal, but I keep seeing trailers for sale on my way home from work! The '67 Ambassador is gone, but there is a car lot locally with a (probably 1970's) Silver Streak for sale; the guy is out of town til the 16th, so no clue as to price. Looking at the outside and peeking in the windows, the skin looks great, the pipes underneath and the leaf springs/axles rusty, needs tires, interior basics probably OK, but all the upholstered stuff needs to go. Also would probably need update propane, and also adding the solar panels, and maybe satellite, so a lot of work.

Keep hearing $1,500 in my head, not sure if that's my psychic sense or just wishful thinking! I'll have to go back after the 16th, and I still need a truck too! It looks like this:
http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&media=postcard.jpg

Jane

Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bmk01,

Do you have a website with your photos? As yet another money making fantasy, I was thinking of the Travel Channel Academy; they hint at the possibility of selling your footage to them, but maybe that is a lost leader. But in any case, if you are traveling around, why not shoot stock video footage?

I'm already living in 325 sq ft, so scaling back a little more mostly entales getting rid of books and nic nacs. The biggest dillema right now as far as trailer space/living conditions would be my pets; the pond turtles would need to go to a sanctuary, and the 3 canaries and the lovebird could go with, though I'm not sure how happy they would be. And if anyone has ever had a lovebird.... she's sweet, but willful, and mildly destructive! And she is not used to living in a cage! Not sure what to do with that!

Jane
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Hi Jane,

If you send me your email address I will give you details.
My email address is bkallend@earthlink.net

Bryon.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Before you buy an Airstream you need to price out some items as a “What if Scenario”.
This is what I’ve done to my PARKED Airstream in the last five years. I used it on weekends while building one house, remodeling another and as a construction office at a current project. So I justified the cost of things that fail on a 32 year old 1976 Airstream.
4 New Tires.
New Coleman 13.5 BTU w/heater strips 5000 BTU
Dark tint on the windows.
New Water Pump with new Discharge Hose.
New Thetford high profile toilet installed.
New 18” x18” carpet tiles on floor with 20 spares.
New water pressure relief valve.
New Moen repair kits installed in all water faucets.
New Suburban Central Heat Unit. (OEM model)
4 New overhead light fixtures w new rotary switches.
All new bulbs in overhead lights.
New Front Lounge Upholstery.
New Rear Sleeping Area Mattress Covers and Upholstery.
Curtains freshly cleaned and new elastic loops installed.
New Bathroom Curtain.
New Updated DOT approved Liquid Petroleum Regulator Filler Valves.
New 12 gallon 120v Water heater to replace the old 6 gallon LP heater. (The 12 gallon electric produces 12 gal per hour, the 6 gallon gas produces 6 gallons per 12 hour period.)
New Blue Exterior Plastic Trim Stripping.
New towing and lighting wire harness.
New waste discharge hose and cap.
New Exterior Lighting fixtures.
New silver-ware trays.
Near new Battery.
New 120V Extension cord 25 feet.
Water hose 25 feet.
Comes with new drive on ramp for changing flat tires.
Additional heater installed at entry for quick warm up and for heat when the battery is low and will not run the Suburban Heater.
4 Screw type manual leveling jacks.
A Reese equal tow hitch system comes with the trailer.
Adapter for various RV park electrical connections.
Heavy duty Trailer / Truck Hitch
Electric Brake system for my truck.
1990 F350 Ford Pickup with 75K on it.
------------
I don't know the total ticket for the parts and labor and I don't want to have a bad day so I never total the receipts.

Stan Wilder
Old 07-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I know, I know, I don't want to look at the laundry list, so as not to have a bad day! But it's good to take into consideration, as I build my income, pay off bills and save.

I'm living in an area where people rent travel trailers parked in their backyards for $700+ a month, and I'm currently paying $750 + utilities for a 325 sq ft converted storage shed, and all I do is work, work, work! So, I figured I could pay the same for living on the road, and spend what might be the down payment for over priced real estate on fixing up a trailer. I'm putting it out there, when I have the $$$ I need, the right one will come! But in the meantime, I can go look at the junkers too, just to hone my looking skills!

Thanks, this forum IS very helpful!

Jane
Old 07-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Jane,

A late welcome to the forums. The wife and I just bought a 1979 31' sovereign a few months ago. It is in good shape for being 30 years old with all running gear and appliances working, interior a little rough but all original. We are polishing the outside now and plan to tackle the interior after (not sure how far we will go with that yet).

Getting to my point though... Earlier you were talking about new trucks at $50,000+. We were seeing the same thing and couldn't go that route. Then we found a used 2008, Ford F250 (gas engine) Super Duty extended cab with the towing package and trailer brake for $28,000 at a local dealer. It only had 11k miles on it. We were happy we got it and feel confident that we got a good match with the TV and trailer. It only gets 15MPG (stark difference from my commuter 1990 CRX at ~50MPG) but tows great. Anyway, the used TV's are out there and this is a buyers market for sure.

Good luck with your ventures!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yes, I've been figuring about $20,000 for the TV, and $20,000 for the trailer, which means I need $40,000. So, the first order of business is getting the $$$ rolling in a little more, and saving! I'd like to plunk down as much cash as possible, and drive away with no monthly payments. True freedom!

I know what you mean; I'm currently driving a Saturn S1 that gets 36 MPG and $20 a week does it fine. I sometimes drive the company mini van, and when a fill up for that thing goes for $70+ it blows my mind! But I guess that's what to expect with a truck towing a trailer.

Congrats on your rig! I'm still a little ways off, so let's hope this buyers market lasts another year for me!

Jane
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I didn’t mean to scare you with that list of repairs.
In my opinion I got a good price on my 1976 31 Foot Airstream and even if I total up all the things I’ve done I doubt that I’ll get to any number close to $10K.
I was aware that the 1976 Airstream had some problems and against all advise I’ve ever given or received I bought the AS off E-bay and tried to back out after I had it delivered.
If you do like I said and go to Inland RV or other RV restoration site and price out that list you’ll be able to build a checklist of what you need to be aware of when you start shopping seriously for an AT. As you inspect your future purchase you can work off a checklist and make the appropriate deductions. I’d definitely make a seller fire up the heater, water heater, A/C, Refrigerator, pull out the awnings if it has them and prove with a receipt that the tires are not over 5 years old. You need to get all the tow-bar parts with the trailer and if possible tow the trailer down the highway to make sure the brakes work. A refrigerator can easily be $1100.00 if you need one.
There are also some bonuses that you might find like tinted glass, double pane windows, awnings on all the windows, front window Plexiglas shade / rock protector, blinds or window treatments, upgraded sound system, microwave ovens etc.
If possible you need to spend a day with an AS owner with a unit similar to what you intend to buy and learn where things are located, how they operate and learn the things that are required to hitch up properly, service and clean the tanks, service the battery, leveling the unit and properly chocking the wheels.
The mention of rotten floors often comes up. You can easily find weak floor areas by stabbing through the carpet with an ice pick. If someone has installed other types of hard surface flooring you may need to do your testing behind the sofa, behind the toilet, next to the water heater. You’ll just need to practice on a piece of new plywood to get the feel of what good strong floors will feel like when you stab them and pull the pick out.

Stan Wilder
76 Airstream
Dallas, TX
Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since most people won't keep receipts for very long, you can check the code on the tires for date of manufacture. It's by week and year and it's on the side (so, 12/07 would be end of March, 2007). If the tires are mounted backwards, you have to crawl underneath to look at all of them. Crawling isn't fun, but it's important because of you have to buy new tires it's good to know when you're negotiating a price.

Gene
Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
It's funny, I was walking by that Silver Streak again, and peeking in the windows, when a homeless guy on a bike rode up:

"Interested in that trailer?"
"Yeah, kinda..."
"Do you have a truck to tow it with?"
"Uh, no...."
"Well, you need a truck. Do you have a place to park it?"
"Uh, yeah, kinda...."
"You need a place to park it. Hmmm, this thing is pretty old, you don't know who had it before, or what they were doing in it. Maybe you need to rent a new one".

Then he rode off! For real! Maybe what I needed to hear?? In any case, I think buying anything is a bit premature at the moment, I need a heftier nest egg, and a wider stream of income. By the time I have the liveable income coming in from online, I will then have the $$$ and time to really spend on the trailer project. But I might contact the owner when they get back in town about the Silver Streak, just to practice looking!

Jane
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #54
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by janemaati View Post
It's funny, I was walking by that Silver Streak again, and peeking in the windows, when a homeless guy on a bike rode up:

"Interested in that trailer?"
"Yeah, kinda..."
"Do you have a truck to tow it with?"
"Uh, no...."
"Well, you need a truck. Do you have a place to park it?"
"Uh, yeah, kinda...."
"You need a place to park it. Hmmm, this thing is pretty old, you don't know who had it before, or what they were doing in it. Maybe you need to rent a new one".

Then he rode off! For real! Maybe what I needed to hear?? In any case, I think buying anything is a bit premature at the moment, I need a heftier nest egg, and a wider stream of income. By the time I have the liveable income coming in from online, I will then have the $$$ and time to really spend on the trailer project. But I might contact the owner when they get back in town about the Silver Streak, just to practice looking!

Jane
What makes you think he was homeless?

For a random buttinski he makes a fair amount of sense. More than you usually get anyhow.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Of course, can't be certain about the homelessness, but I've been working with the mentally ill/disabled, homeless and incarcerated as a psych counselor of 15 years, so I know the look and feel. And, since I have been working with this population, I guess I have that social worker look and feel to them, so they start talking. It's sort of the "out of the mouths of babes" phenomenon, sometimes the mentally ill are psychic, and will say what's already in your head, or maybe what you need to hear. And of course, flat out crazy stuff too, usually involving the government, religion or space aliens!

Jane
Old 07-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by janemaati View Post
Of course, can't be certain about the homelessness, but I've been working with the mentally ill/disabled, homeless and incarcerated as a psych counselor of 15 years, so I know the look and feel. And, since I have been working with this population, I guess I have that social worker look and feel to them, so they start talking. It's sort of the "out of the mouths of babes" phenomenon, sometimes the mentally ill are psychic, and will say what's already in your head, or maybe what you need to hear. And of course, flat out crazy stuff too, usually involving the government, religion or space aliens!

Jane

Hmmmmmm--a kindred spirit. It never leaves your blood, even after you retire, you are on automatic pilot.