Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
On the east coast most new models are listed on sale at 18-22% off the retail price. So you can get better than that with some negotiation.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I only read the OP's post.

Don't buy new. Buy used. The difference in "problems" is negligible. Give a used trailer the learning curve workout. By the time you have finished customizing it to your specs you'll have an appreciation of what works and what doesn't.

You can find a nice 10-year old A/S and be just fine in regards any feelings about a "used" trailer. Have it re-clearcoated (contact INLAND RV), install new flooring and re-upholster if desired. LED lighting, Internet/satellite access, some other changes and you'll like it fine.

Plus, there is no way that any mods you do will even come close to the depreciation hit from a new trailer.

Leave new trailers to the experienced, IMO. One is much happier knowing exactly what to order from the factory to save costs and headaches after having another trailer at least [3] years.

These trailers are -- psychologically and literally -- both large and small. Best to learn cheaply what-is-what for you both.

Good luck

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Thank you all for your great advice. To answer a few questions and expand on my first post... Jenna and I are still committed to purchasing a new 27ft International AS to live in. We both feel that now is the right time not later, we know what to expect with regard to downsizing from an apartment to an AS. We donít want a used camper only because we donít and wonít have any intentions on selling it ever! We arenít treating this as a financial investment, thatís what gold, silver, stocks and bonds are for.
Our goal is to finance this AS through my bank or our family (who can easily afford to tie up $75,000 for 12 years) but with our dual-income and no dependents we will have it paid off long before then.

1. Problems I have encountered so far are locating city/county regulations regarding parking a camper long term on your property. Where should I look? My sisterís place is paved and covered and could easily shelter this silver work of art.
2. Another issue, where can I find more information on hook ups, power/water/sewer on both ends, the AS specifically but also the residence?
3. What are some differences between the 2011 and the 2012 International 27FB?
4. SOLAR power, who uses it and if we decide to drop off the grid later, how do you guys utilize solar cells on your ASí?

Thanks again, I really mean it. I have read every post and Jenna and I have taken everything you all said under consideration and we look forward to being apart of this huge Airstream family!!

~Brandon
Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Brandon,

Best wishes. You've had a lot of responses with varied advice so I won't add to what has already been written. However you did mention the use of your sister's spare bedroom for showers and... you know . Just want to say that the "you know" part is one of the most enjoyable parts of Airstreaming.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Gene
Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Haha.. thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna View Post

1. Problems I have encountered so far are locating city/county regulations regarding parking a camper long term on your property. Where should I look? My sisterís place is paved and covered and could easily shelter this silver work of art.
These rules are all found at the town/city/municipal hall for wherever it is that your sister lives. Go to City Hall and ask to speak to the bylaw officer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Regarding what is allowed, you will need to ask the zoning and/or building inspection people. It could be city government or county government, depending where the property is located. If your sister pays property taxes to the city then the city inspector has jurisdiction. If she pays property taxes only in the county then the county inspector.

Once you figure this out ask the inspectors what inspections they will require. There may be a requirement of a certian distance between trailer and structures. There will be a required distance from a property line. If you modify the house's electric or plumbing systems a permit is requred. You may need to get licensed contractors to do this, depending on your skills.

After you get this information, make your best judgement as to where it will be best to set up on your sister's property so that it is convinent to the existing utilities and out of the way of everything else. Keep in mind, the trailer's sewer outlet must be higher than the existing sewer or you may have to install a pump or manually remove the sewage. Water and electric can be installed anywhere you like, but it is less expensive to keep as close to the source as possible.

Keep in mind protecting the plumbing pipes from the cold. Will you need to underpin the trailer to keep from freezing the plumbing? This could be required in some locations. You may need an additional electric outlet for heat tape on the plumbing pipes.

If you have very cold weather where you are, you may also want to consider a larger propane tank so you do not have to carry the tanks to the filling station so often. You larger can get tanks with a service agreement from a local propane vendor.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Awesome, Thanks again. I checked with City Hall and technically I can't live in it. I am not supposed to hook into the water/sewer. This is a little frustrating considering I want to live in it.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You need to always check out the regulations fully before jumping into something like this. Now the challenge is to find some place that will allow you to do what you want to do.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
HI, I've bought two new.

Buy gently used. I can give you about 30,000 reasons to.

EVEN if you never sell.

Oh, and before you buy at all, try to find a KOA that has an Airstream for RENT and try it out for a week. You MIGHT find out you can't stand it.... lots of people don't even realize they get depressed or claustrophobic in small spaces... until they're stuck. DIRT cheap compared to owning a nightmare.

Oh, and also take into consideration that even though you're young and healthy some things CAN make it virtually impossible to live in an Airstream.... say an accident that puts one of you into a wheelchair even temporarily.

I've fulltimed for over 5 years - with no plans to change any time soon - but stuff CAN happen. Could you recover from a financial commitment of that size if you HAD to sell six months later? Go read the classifieds and you'll see at least one ad that carries that exact scenario. Reselling a used one, you can break even, a new one even if you can negotiate a great deal when you buy it, if you have to sell in prematurely, you'll take a 20-30K hit.

Considering that bad stuff may happen won't make it happen, but knowing the consequences of your decisions in advance could save you a lot of stress over the "ugly surprises" of issues you've never considered.

Best wishes, Paula
Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Coos Bay , Oregon
Depending on the size of the property your family has, I would consider applying for a variance to the ordnance to allow you to park the trailer. If the area has multi family dwellings you could develop an "RV Park" with one space. I did it but I have two spaces in my side yard. Both have water, sewer, electricity, cable and wifi.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #26

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Juneau , Alaska
Just purchased a 2011 Flying Cloud 30 foot with the recliners...and love it. I up in Juneau, Alaska and plan on living full-time over the next winter. It's fairly temperate here, with temps sometimes dropping below zero (F), but mostly around freezing. I plan on using an oil filled electric radiator to supplement the propane furnace mostly because it is efficient and quiet, with no fan. Right now temps are 40's and 50's and I notice the furnace starting up quite often to keep the inside a comfortable 67 F.

I also need to look into skirting and possibly dehumidifier, from what I've been reading. On the skirting, I want to avoida any type of wood rubbing up against the skin, so ia'm looking at both fabric and/or foam block... Any recommendations?

Thanks

RP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3678139230.png
Views:	130
Size:	720.8 KB
ID:	128917  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to airforums.com, radiopaul! That's a beautiful trailer you purchased there.

Two things:
  • The average minimum temperature for Juneau, Alaska is at or below freezing (32F) for half of the year, according to this website. Suggest you invest in lots of woolly jammies to live in that trailer, plus look up on here what other folks have experienced in order to do what you are talking about.
  • Also, I think you should make a new thread to discuss your plans, as they are no doubt going to get lots of interesting responses, and this thread is about another subject.

Have a great time in your trailer, and ask lots of questions!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
buzzkill warning:

If I were you OR if you were my son or daughter I'd say, "never buy anything that depreciates in value on credit." Sure lots of people do, (and lots of people will tell you there's no way around it . . .) but if you want "true freedom", save up for something that you think you really want and buy it.

buzzkill warning 2:

If there's a city code in existence at your sister's, that prevents people from living in an rv/trailer then you're not going to get a "variance" . . .

Just my 2 cents.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote