Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #1

2005 25' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
New to Air-streaming

After some coaxing, I’ve left my job in NYC to join my boyfriend for a year in his 2005 25’ Safari SS. He’s had it for a couple of years and I’m looking for guidance in gently de-bachelorizing it. A thorough cleaning and replacing the mattress are my immediate priorities. I welcome suggestions for best ways to limit dirt coming in, removing existing dirt and where to look for a new mattress. Many thanks!
newstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome Back From the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We also have an '05 25, but ours is a front bedroom/queen. We have spent over 320 nights in ours, and the mattress is still good. I like it better than the one at home. We use a memory foam 2" mattress pad that we got from Camping World. Check the mattress out before you replace it; it well may be savable. If you do need to replace it, check with Airstream first because of the unique shape. Then go to a foam supplier, pick out the appropriate firmness. Get a quote from them cutting it to shape, using your old mattress as a pattern. Compare the prices and decide. You may find that you will get better quality for you money with the foam supplier.

As for the cleaning, it's the same as a house except a lot faster and easier.

As for keeping dirt out, we do really well with an artificial turf type mat on the ground next to the steps. Get the one from Camping World which is intended for use on RV steps. It has holes all over the bottom for water to drain through. It's the only one we have found that really works well. Then we use another foot wiping mat right inside the door.

Good luck in your new Airstreaming lifestyle. Let us know how you are doing.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Welcome to the forum - you will find all your answers here.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
clive , Iowa
How much can we figure (on average) we would pay to live places by the month? Also, I've seen references to no pets. Is this common? We have two cats : (

-- Almost ready to jump
robbie7277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Wink mattress for airstream

We have a rear queen 2001 Classic. Original mattress was under par.[to be kind.] A trip to costco provided us with a new foam memory mattress queen size. which was trimmed to fit with the trusty ol electric carving knife. NO BIG PROBLEM MAKING IT FIT. We now enjoy a GREAT COMFORTABLE MATTRESS for low bucks. If it is presently not in the warehouse, check their .com. Sams has the same deal. Life is good when you have a great mattress!!

Chip & Helen
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Welcome to the forum. As moosetags said, an artificial yard and mat are key to keeping dirt out. Throw down a rug just inside the door to kick the shoes off onto. Have fun
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote