Old 02-12-2005, 06:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Thumbs up New Questions??? From Green Peas!!!

First of all thanks to all who responded to our thread about 3 weeks ago. Particuarlly forum member and airstreamer Driftwood who happens to live close to us and has been a real help as we've gone through "process" of of narrowing our selection. At this point a few questions I'd like to throw out are as follows: (1) In looking at used units, I have been using the NADA book value to compare to the sellers asking price. How accurate are these NADA values and what value do additional add-ons add to the used value of a trailer, i.e. upgrades and additonal appliances, electronics, hitches, and miscellaneous "stuff" that the seller will offer with the unit? (2) In looking at used units on line, I've come across a number of brand new 2004 models that are offered at what seems to be a fairly deep discount. Presently, I am caught between a 2001 30 ft. Classic loaded with many extras versus a new 2004 28 ft. Classic from a dealer, nicely appointed but without the miscellaneous extras. The price of the new, about 5k more than the used. Which is apt to offer us the most value in the long run in your opinion? (3) We feel we've settled on a new Suburban 3/4 ton LT 4 wheel drive with the towing package and many other extras to be used to tow the a/s as well as serve as one of our two family cars. They are a bit pricey and in our case must be ordered (further delay) in order to get the color and combination we want. From prior entries, it seems like this might be a bit of an over kill for the trailers we have in mind; however, my thought is that the big strong vehicle might have more value down the road when it's time to trade and further the big vehicle might last longer given the fact it wouldn't need to "work" as hard pulling the load during our planned full-timing summer adventures. Have I misse anything here? Any help any of you might offer is again greatly appreciated. Ride2k

ride2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master
You should be looking at 20% off list, or maybe more, for a new 2004. The 2006 will be coming off the line in just a matter of weeks, so the 2004s are getting pretty stale on the shelf.

NADA prices seem to be more accurate as the models become more current, so for a 2001 I would say they probably are not far off one way or another. I think they do fall down somewhat on optional items as that is very difficult to collect data on.

As for the value of stuff "thrown in" with the deal, it's a little or a lot depending upon what it is worth to you. An installed satellite dish would be a liability to me, but could be a real value to the next person. In any event I'd be loath to pay more than 1/2 the price of new for anything.

I don't know how anyone can determine the relative value of a new 28' to a used 30' to you. The 28' has a larger lounge area, but the 30' has a dinette. One is used, the other is new and will have a factory warranty. I think I would want to determine the floorplan I want first, then shop for it. If your question is one of relative value at resale time, that too depends. Many of us own our Airstreams for many, many years. Twelve, 15 years from now the relative value of a 2001 vs. a 2004 will be negligible. Three years from now it will still be quite a bit. Either way the size difference will not affect resale much.

The 3/4 ton Suburban is not overkill for that kind of load. The 1/2 ton is really not up to the task and the difference in price is not very large.

Good luck,

'85 Sovereign, 25'
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote