Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master
My wife and I hit the wall comfortwise in my 25 Airstream after a month or so and get an urge to flee to our comfortable home. Unless there is economic necessity, I can't imagine full timing in an rv of any size.
I is easier to live in the Airstream when it is nice outside and you can extend the living area to the space under the awning but in the winter or when it rains for days on end, the inside gets very small, particularly when the household includes large pets.
Establishing a domicile in a state that does not impose a state income tax can be done even if you don't spend much time there. A domicile is where you declare your home to be. You establish that intent by registering to vote there, getting a drivers license, establishing a mailing address, ect. Places like UPS stores have mail forwarding services and can forward your mail to your address of the moment, like general delivery, a campground address, ect.
Autopaying all of your bills, out of bank accounts and credit cards can easily be done.
Your computer is your life line. You need a wireless data service. Relying on WiFi is inconvenient. In many cases, advertised WiFi service in a particular campground is unavailable or too slow to be useful.
We are sometimes "off the grid" for months at a time. Even though creditors, IRS, ect. has our cell phone number and email address, they contact us by snail mail. In that event, we have to be patient in sorting out any mess when we pick up our mail.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
2004 25' Safari
Rusk , Texas
We have trailered for 40 years, having 2 SOB's (some other brand) and 5 airstreams ranging from a 1956 Bambi to our current 25 ft 2004 Safari SS. We have lived the last five years in our AS, traveling for a year, then taking 4 years to pay for the trip. We were totally unprepared for what the real cost would be.

We spent a total of 9 months volunteering at camps in Oregon and Maine, and really enjoyed that. We've tried workcamping, and did not enjoy it. We retired to get away from that situation, not get back into it.

Re: pets and no electricity and hot weather - unless you spend your summers in central canada, I don't believe you can keep your pets safe and healthy. We took two dogs with us, and much as we love them, it was one too many. Somebody was always getting stepped on. It is 15 inches from the bed to the toilet, and one of our dogs insisted that was his bed.

Trailer vs motorhome: With a trailer you're always hitching and unhitching, and a safe, sway control hitch is heavy. But, you can drive away whenever you wish, and go where you want, and come back to the trailer. With a motor home, unless you take a dingy, you have to haul that thing wherever you go, and you can get into some very tight places without realizing it. Fuel cost is another consideration, not to mention initial output, whether it is new or used.

We loved the year long trip - would do it again if we could. We even enjoyed living on our land in our little trailer - major decisions were what kind of TV dinner tonight, and where are we going to put anything else we may buy. Our joke is that if I buy a new Tshirt, my wife has to get rid of a pair of slacks. Boy were we glad to move back into a house.

My advice - rent before you buy. Rent a trailer and try it for a couple of weeks, and then one or more different sizes of motorhomes. It may seem like a prohibitive expense, But not as prohibitive as a $100K motorhome that just doesn't work for you.

Good luck.

lifnclucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Attended this woman's seminar about full-timing/workamping at an RV show in Canada. She has written an extensive book about the experience, and has an on-going blog. The book is geared towards Canada, but her experience and tips are universal, IMO.
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I do fulltime and have since 2005, but I also own my own business and work on it fulltime. I actually spend less time traveling than I thought I would (the economy went into the crapper and I didn't get burned as bad as some, but now have to work 40-50 hours per week to net what I could do at 20 hours before the fertilizer impacted the ventilator.)

I have been happy fulltiming - BUT I'm financially able to change gears and get a nice condo, or even buy a decent home - in a gated community if I choose. Even if I couldn't go back to brick and mortar I'm content - You might not be and being stuck in the wrong kind of life is pure hell!

Sip befor you gulp! VERY SERIOUS ADVICE HERE!!!!!
  1. Find a rally in your area... go and talk to everyone!
  2. Check out the "Airstream Only" campgrounds in your area. Visit for a weekend at least.
I KNOW Texas is a big state, but there are one or two "Airstream Only" parks there. Take a couple of days to visit!!! One reason this is a great idea is that there are always people who have aged out of camping (or died) and there are always a couple of units for sale. You can also get to meet other owners - most of whom are delighted to show off their campers. If your budget is limited, you can't buy then decide you need a different layout. Also some pets DO NOT adapt to traveling - you do need to keep them in a cage in your tow vehicle when traveling - and spending 300 miles in a truck with a puking dog or cat? You may find that yours are great travelers, but containing them IN the yard at the campground can become a trecherous business. And there is that part about the critter wanting to sleep between you and the toilet! At 3:00 am you can both scare the stuff out of each other and then you have a lovely mess!

Disability - BE aware that virtually all campers have narrow halls/narrow doors. If you need mobility aids like a walker - a camper isn't a good idea for the long term. Can you climb ladders or scaffolding and work on the leaks on your trailer roof? If not, you've just found one reason to stay in bricks and mortar. (I got my fat fanny UNDER the Airstream this weekend - I'll live, but the effen fire ants did a number on me! Replaced the bent stabilizer jack. Still didn't get the gray water tank sensor fixed. Sweated horribly, nearly had to crawl back into the trailer!)

Saving money - I live "cheap" compared to the average "middle class family man/woman" but it's not a huge savings especially when you factor in a hefty tow vehicle like a 3/4 ton truck or a Suburban, or Lincoln Navigator, or even a Tundra. The operating costs with something that gets 15-20 mpg and takes 9 quarts of synthetic oil will probably make you think twice or three times or four times.

Take your time - borrow a LITTLE camper from a friend if you can (or invite yourself along on a weekend). Rent something for a week.

Don't jump into a trap!
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Pella , Iowa
Hi: I would like to suggest that you follow this blog. I have been following her since she started. She travels very comfortably with a 17 foot trailer. I have been fascinated with what she has accomplished. She is a retired school teacher, and has a very interesting blog.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Aledo , Texas
Here's the correct link to RV Sue:
rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more
Brian and Carolyn
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA

You may have already found your Airstream by now, and was just checking in to see what you decided on.

We scaled-down from a 31-footer to a 25 this year and really love the maneuverability of the shorter rig without losing out on holding tank capacities.

Hope you're enjoying your full-timing lifestyle -
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
This winter ought to go fast if we all stay busy. For two guys like us this full timing is not that hard. Thanks to the internet, we have netflix, skype, email service. A great truck to get around in. The cats stay warm outside in a large wooden framed and covered box with a heat lamp running constantly for warmth...they come and go as they please. Once your in an Airstream it's hard to imagine letting go.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Two of us full-time very comfortably with all the stuff we need (and some we just want) in our 25' airstream trailer. This 25' trailer is perfect for us -- lots of storage, great floor space, a sofa, dinette, dry bath, 6' fridge, enough counter space in the galley, two wardrobes, a pantry. What more could we need?

We would not want any larger or longer trailer unless we could not find an equal floor plan in this length. Every state and national park and provincial park, our 25' trailer always fits just fine. Yes, we use the out of doors for lots of living. If we didn't like out of doors, we wouldn't live in an RV.

Good RV shops can install automatic-start generators in airstreams, this should be a good answer for your temperature control for animal friends. You can't do without this unless you are sure you'll always have 30amp shore power when you leave them at "home".

Paula's points are spot on -- try this out before you jump off the cliff. You don't want to find out it's unsuitable after you've committed a bunch of resources. And while a trailer interior is very supportive for limited mobility ambulation (hand holds everywhere you walk, and not far to go), trailers and motor homes are not easy to climb into and out of, unless you retrofit with a lift. We've seen this done by a first-rate airstream shop in the Raleigh North Carolina area.

Good luck, hope you are enjoying the search.
Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
What about those communities that have an rv garage and a fairly small house attached? Seems like that would be a best of both worlds option. If in a warmer sate like TX or FL, you could spend winters sort of locked in if you like with a permanent address and then spend 6 months traveling to state ask and such to stay cool :-)
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
What about those communities that have an rv garage and a fairly small house attached? Seems like that would be a best of both worlds option. If in a warmer sate like TX or FL, you could spend winters sort of locked in if you like with a permanent address and then spend 6 months traveling to state ask and such to stay cool :-)
Several communities have these. First one comes to my mind is NTAC in Texas, and any of several Escapees parks seem pretty good that way. I think NTAC has the RV port, havent seen really the same type structure at Escapees parks but all variety of pads, cottages, modulars, you name it, for living space.

Chasing 75 degrees

Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote