Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Sorry don't like messing with sh.....

And I'll never forget the time when I did have a trailer with a black tank that I went to the dump station - and there was a huge puddle of very brown water - really yuk..

And - - - have you ever seen the movie with Robin Williams - RV? That was the best part of the movie.....

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADO_CAMPER
"no pooping policy"? No offense, but some of you guys really have hangups with this.
$#!+ happens...get over it ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Nice. My sentiments exactly.

Maybe there's a market for a "s!&t shoveler" who would just standby at the dump station to attach the hose and pull the drain valve for other people's RV's. I'd do it for $20 a pop! That's easy money, right there.

You know, there are people who refuse to use their awnings, too. In my opinion if there is any function of your RV that you are unwilling or afraid to use you are doing yourself a great disservice by not learning about it and getting comfortable with it. But, it's your loss - not mine.
COLORADO_CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Use public facilities - YUK! No matter how nice and clean appearing, public facilities can't be as nice as those in my Airstream. If I wanted to use the public stuff, I'd stay in hotels and walk on whatever the other folks rubbed into the carpet and other places - no thanks!

BTW, treat yourself to some really good holding tank treatment (but be sure to totally rid of the chemical stuff by thoroughly flushing the tank first). No odor, chemical or otherwise, totally biodegradable, and it digests solids rapidly - just follow the directions.

I discovered the product during my boating days. It is called KO and is made by Raritan. It is made of live organisms that thrive on digesting waste. The only requirements are no chemicals and a need for oxygen (which there is by the opening of the toilet valve and the vent). Just keep the black tank closed until ready to depart/dump, and let the organisms do their thing. Works great for me!

Raritan suggests using a product called CP (their stuff of course) to clean the bowl, etc. as it contains nothing that will kill the contents of the KO. Raritan products can be obtained at most any marine stores. AND, being a marine oriented product, it is pricey - but, the stuff does work!
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Not Use My Trailer?

After raising girls, one the the 5 rules of life is the reason I have the Airstream

Rule # 5 - Life is too short to poop in a dirty potty.
Ed
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
After All The Work And Money Restoring The Bathroom,I Am Going To Use It! It Would Have Been A Lot Easier To Have Made A Big Walk In Closet Back There .
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #47
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
I always use the trailer as a restroom, but since I have long hair to shampoo I have resigned myself to using campground showers. In Michigan we're lucky the state parks clean often, and use chlorine.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride
After All The Work And Money Restoring The Bathroom,I Am Going To Use It! It Would Have Been A Lot Easier To Have Made A Big Walk In Closet Back There .
Me, too. I could have saved a bunch of money on toilets tubs and faucets if I eliminated them. Black tank contents don't bother me very much, but I've had to handle things that make anything that comes out of a black tank look appetizing.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #49
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Me, too. I could have saved a bunch of money on toilets tubs and faucets if I eliminated them. Black tank contents don't bother me very much, but I've had to handle things that make anything that comes out of a black tank look appetizing.
Thank you for not posting pictures...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #50
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I posted above that we enjoy using NEW and WELL-KEPT campground facilities. But some of ya'll surprise me. Self-contained means just that. There are places and things, people, whom one does not want to meet. So the use of the facilities is the exception, never the rule.

I'm 6'2"/200-lbs, with really long legs. So I bought a new toilet that works better, ergonomically. My bathroom is bigger than any of yours, so it never feels cramped. One of the reasons my family went with Streamline and Silver Streak over forty years ago was that the interior accommodations, storage, were that much better in these matters.

And I appreciate the experience of the marine chemicals, I may have to give them a try. May I also recommend a better soap for the shower? We use the brand Dr. Bronner in liquid form and it rinses extremely fast and clean. I made sure to have two sets of xtra-large towels so that one is always dry. Matter solved.

Some chemical in the toilet, some daily practices (I use a Flush King), and the matter is disposed of. I doubt I'll convince anyone otherwise, but I'd like to suggest that self-reliance in all matters leads to solutions that are also an aid to comfort, thus to travel, thus to re-creation.

(The litter box is another matter).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Thank you for not posting pictures...
Ah, we have "assisted dumping" at the dump station, and you'd be amazed at what you observe. One company is marketing transparent (i.e., see-through) dump hoses. The truth is immediately visible.

Lynn
Old 06-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Normally we use our own bathroom- thats why we have a self contained travel trailer! However, we are heading west with our partially restored '61 and if the campground facilities are nice I will put on my flip flops and use them. ( I make a point to find small private campgrounds that generally have very nice facilities) but if you head over the the bathhouse and it looks yuk head back to the trailer. With our self contained unit you have the option!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Rats and chipmunks are not good company!!!

Much of the camping we do is at fairgrounds or town parks hosting dog shows. Therefore we bought the AS so we would not have to use some of the disgusting facilities we have encountered!!!

The worst was a fairground with rats and chipmunks popping in to say 'hello'. My DH was so good - he cleaned the cobwebs and leaves out of the shower stall so he could enjoy that cold shower with his little buddy Wilbur. Alvin and Simon were my companions!!! After that we strung up an out door hill billy shower using the Colman hot water heater, vinyl shower curtains and a loading platform we salvaged.

Mucking out the horse manure from our camping site was a real blast too!!

It's the AS shower all the way!

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #54
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Warning: Do not read this thread while eating!

After years of using motel bathrooms and wondering if the maids actually cleaned them, I'm glad to use the Airstream bathroom and shower. It's my bacteria (or my wife's, and we have gladly shared our bacteria for 22 years) and so be it. I am sure campground bathrooms vary greatly in cleanliness (I've used them back in the tent camping days) and I don't think you can always see what is clean or not. If you check it out the night before, who knows who was there later and what they did? A wet toilet seat eventually dries and looks ok.

One of the great luxuries is to be driving, have to go, and be able to stop somewhere, get out, unlock the Airstream, and use the toilet before my bladder explodes. A lot of states don't have many rest stops and many of them aren't clean.

Yeh, dumping is not the happiest thing to do. It's got to be done, so I do it. I use the Flush King and I know all the wonderful colors and objects that come out of the black tank, but I also know when the tank is clean. Use the other systems, including the flush system Airstream has on my model, and I doubt the tank will be close to clean and eventually new life forms will evolve, escape through the toilet and attack you when you least expect it.

I wish the shower was bigger and the toilet space larger, but it's mine and I love it.

I loved the story about bringing one quarter to the campground shower. In a remote part of Alaska along the Dalton Hwy on the way to the North Slope, at the Coldfoot truck stop a shower was $10 in '02 (no time limit). The shower area was really small and uncomfortable and marginally clean. Yuk! My wife insisted we shower after camping for a while, so what could I say?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Like those of you with the kitty litter in the shower space, we use the shower for storage when we are on the road, so while traveling and spending the night en route, we use the campground showers after checking that they are clean and fresh. My crocs get me to the shower house, through the shower, and back to our Airstream. We have some campgrounds we return to along the way just because they've always reliably been clean with HOT water and strong water pressure, just what we need after hours towing. Once settled in camp, we usually use our own shower, but the pressure there is disappointing. As for the toilet, always our own!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #56
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
So clean your own Mother won't recognize you!

99.9% of the time
I use my own, I like it.

Mr. Bubble

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #57
_

. , .
ok, i see a new rally theme...

"the mr bubbles swapping showers rally!

i have long wanted to use art's shower, now i wanna use gene's too...

this would be good for us and good for the trailers....

cross inoculation with other 'streamer germs is good!

and it would prompt us all (me) to clean the shower stall just once...

imagine how the 'open-house-trailer-tours' would go...

if we all showed up with in a shower cap and carrying a tooth brush...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #58
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
In our family, the dog is the only one that doesn't go pottie in the Airstream...well, there was that one time he was left in the trailer all day long. That's why we have a child gate to keep him corralled on the vinyl floor.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #59
_

. , .
seen on the outside of an airstream near u...

nobodybutnobody...

usesmypoddy.

buttme.

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #60
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
X-rated showers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
i have long wanted to use art's shower, now i wanna use gene's too...

this would be good for us and good for the trailers....

cross inoculation with other 'streamer germs is good!

cheers
2air'
I was sure "inoculate" had 2 "n's" and was getting ready to chide you on your spelling, but luckily I checked, so now I must congratulate you for paying attention in school.

I'm not so sure about this shower-swapping thing, sounds kind of kinky to me. So that's what those rallies are really about.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote