Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2002 34' Classic
Tecumseh , Ontario
My last 24 months...

Group :

First of all...I am not ill (nor am I making light of any that are...) but tonight my wife said to me...

"Honey, when we are finally retired (6yrs from now...) where do you want to take the Airstream when we can finally go "full timing" ?

Now (of course...) I have a vauge idea about some things I'd like to do, but as far as doing things that others may reccommend...well, I just expected I'd figure that one out when we're a bit closer to the date of departure.

Then I got to thinking about it...& it occurred to me...what if all we have is a couple of years ??

What if illness does come our way & we have to give up the full timing we've planned for so many years, before we're ready to & have seen all that we want to ???

That's why I'm asking the question of all of you here who have more experience than I...

"If you only had two years to go full timing...what would you do...where would you go...& what route would you take" ??

Our starting point would be Detroit Michigan.

Our thanks in advance to those who respond.

PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine

I like the desert.
Sitting like a lizard on a sunny rock, turning to avoid burning, would be delightful.
I would avoid large population centers.
Small towns are sweet.
Mountains or north when the sun gets too warm.

"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Follow the words of Horace Greeley. There are so many fantastic things to see here out west that 2 years would only be a good start.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
If we had two years to go full timing and the financial resources to do it, I think we'd go to as many places as possible and on that list would be:

The National Parks out west (Glacer, Yosemite, Grand Tetons, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon etc.)
Alaska - One way on the ALCAN hoghway, the other on the Blue Boats
The Canadian Rockies
Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway
Acadia National Park
Prince Edward Island
Big Sur
Florida for a Shuttle launch
Michigan's UP

And, several months at our beloved Bayshore Family Campground in Andover OH just sitting back and relaxing.

Good luck to you!
Steve & Susan
WBCCI# 03876
AIR# 6511
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Our favorite places in no particular order.

- Bighorn National Forest in Wyoming

- Baxter State Park in Maine

- The Florida Panhandle

- The Mississippi Gulf Coast

- Upstate New York

- Central South Dakota

- Texas Hill Country

- Northern Minnesota
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Bothell , Washington
I'd just drive and drive and drive...(tow and tow and tow)... -- From the grand to the small -- so much to see and do!

Many times the real adventure is getting there.
Air # 20467
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
If you haven't already, take a look at Rich Luhr's blog on his 3 year Tour of America: Tour of America

Just take off and see what you can find.

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California

Although not retired yet, we took a "Round the Country" trip several years ago and learned a lot about traveling in an Airstream. It is a bit confusing, but timing and the lack of worrying about time seem to be key. We traveled to the hot spots like Yellowstone and North Carolina's Outer Banks just before or after the busy seasons, and then the more remote places (or generally less visited) during the other times. As an example, we chose the week before fishing season opened in May to visit Yellowstone, great weather and no crowds. We also traveled along the south, going east from California just as Winter was ending, so by the time we hit the east coast in Florida, the weather was perfect and was warming as we headed up the east coast. And of course the late winter/early spring is great time to go through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia and the rest of the south

So basically, because we timed our travel with weather and seasonal influxes to avoid crowds, we seldom made reservations, and when we did it was usually the same day based on our travel. This style made for the most relaxed travel we have ever had, we really felt that time was not an issue, no rush to get anywhere or leave anywhere. When we found a place we liked we stayed, when we found a place that didn't work, we moved on, when we heard about a great place from others, we went.

There is a small bonus traveling this way, the park and RV rates are usually lower with many discounts available.

So I agree with the earlier posters who say "travel" and go see as much as you can, and if you time the big picture, you will have all the time in the world for the small picture which we call life.
Travel is in my blood, adventure is my passport, aluminum is my favorite construction medium, and therefore, an Airstream was my destiny.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We had visions of Alaska, the east coast, Florida...we went to southwest Arizona a few years back, and returned, and returned, and returned...we might still seek the early visions, but they have dimmed, and the desert has a strong hold on us(for the winter).
We spend our summers in Silverton, Colorado in the home-without-wheels, but look forward to getting back to Arizona...not quite yet full full-timers, but headed that way. Travel on your own terms and timeline(if you have to have one)'s a wonderful way to spend your life, and you may find that trying to see everything isn't possible, or enjoyable, for that matter. Cut loose early and enjoy it while you are able won't regret it.
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #10

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Its not so much where one goes, but rather how one travels.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote