Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
My full-timing adventure begins....kinda

Here goes.

On Tax day I will begin my quasi full-timing adventure for the next six months. I have recently been placed on Active duty orders to work in Springfield, IL at Camp Lincoln. I will be working in Springfield until I deploy to Afghanistan later in the year. A good friend of mine who lives in the small town of Raymond, IL has offered for me to stay at his home while working in Springfield since he also works at Camp Lincoln.

I was gracious for the offer, but my friend and his wife have three foster children, and two other grown kids that still live at home. I rebutted their offer with bringing my Airstream and parking it on their lot instead. They agreed. Everything should be fine, but I won't have hookups. I will have 15 Amp power, and water if I want it, but I plan to use the bathroom in their house, and wash dishes in their kitchen sink. I don't foresee using my own bathroom unless it is 3 AM, raining fiercely, and I just can't make it into the house in time. There is a campground dump station 15 miles away in Hillsboro in case I have to use my black tank.

Everything should work out fine until the heat of summer arrives and I cannot use my Air Conditioner with no 30 Amp power connection. I told my friend I may pay for an electrician to install one if he allows me to do so.

Other than that I will only be an hour from home, so getting things I need will be easy for the most part. I hope I have everything I need, but from reading the other threads I see that you always realize you need something after you are already there.

Here's to six months of Airstream Living that hopefully will keep my affection for these leaky treasures strong.

Steve
Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hey Steve.......enjoy living in your Airstream for the next six months and please know that I thank You for service to our country and for all that you soldiers do!!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Thanks Centennial Man,

I am hoping for clear skies and no rain the next few months. I am sure I can figure out where my leaks are coming from once I begin full timing with not much else to do!

Steve
Old 04-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman
Hey Steve.......enjoy living in your Airstream for the next six months and please know that I thank You for service to our country and for all that you soldiers do!!
Steve - I can only second Centennialman - there is no way to thank you & our troups enough for what you do for all Americans. We may or may not all agree with the politicians that send you all into harms way, but we damn sure do appreciate and support you all.

BTW - Installation of a 30 amp circuit isn't rocket science, tho I did choose to have an electrician do it, just to make sure it was right (ie, I didn't/don't always trust my own skills).

The best of luck to you. Please do keep us informed until you're back home and in your Stream!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
It will hopefully be a fun and educational experience living in the AS for six months, and you will become very familiar with it and be able to tweak the things you don't appreciate to make them better. Be sure to stock up on your tools, sealant, plastic, tape, dry towels and other things you think you might find necessary.

Good luck with it, and at least you will be able to see Amy and Collin on weekends, or they can come visit you. An hour away is not bad. I drove 55 minutes each way every day for work when I lived in Dallas!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Well three days into my full-timing adventure and it got interesting this morning. I was awoken at 4:36 this morning thinking someone was trying to hijack my trailer.

I frantically ran to the front, but nobody was to be found. I later hear that we had a 5.2 Magnitude Earthquake.

I spoke with Amy later on and she said the home bed was jumping around like crazy. Fortunate for me that my bed frame is secured to the wall and floor, and I felt very little movement.

Still a weird experience. I think I may need to readjust my stabilizers when I get home tonight.

Steve
Old 04-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Sounds like your running gear was outta balance
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote