Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #41
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Some research shows that mosquitoes don't like those who consume Vitamin B products. I specifically find B3 NIACIN of benifit. You will have to do your own research on this.

"Supplement with one vitamin B-1 tablet a day from April through October. Add 100 mg of B-1 to a B-100 Complex daily during the mosquito season."

The Buzz On Avoiding Mosquitoes

A quote from another site. ===

"Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

http://www.mosquito-patch.com/
they use vitamin B-1 or niacin as the active ingredient. i also take B-complex vitamins and just that reduces the amount of bites i get. i saw the patches at a local sporting goods store and figured they were a gimmick so i bought a couple and used myself as a guinea pig and they really do work just as well as deep-woods with deet. another bonus is they are fine to use with kids, you just have to make sure to put the patch between their shoulder blades where they can't reach to pull them off.
i am a fishing guide in British Columbia and having bug repellent on your hands will repel fish as well so they are a great option for clients too. i also spend time in northern BC where mosquito's have been known to carry away small children and they worked up there too.
another good one is to give someone that you don't like too much a pale yellow t-shirt. for some reason bugs are attracted to the color and will attack that person."

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They also swarm those roasting meat on the BBQ, blood thirsty little devils.

A good preventive measure is to buy one of those bug zappers and give it to your neighbor. Then all the mosquitos will be attracted to his yard.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
OOPS, you're right, it's the loon as the "official" state bird of MN. I'm not native but I have lived here 32 years, so you'd think I'd remember....... and they don't eat mosquitos, they eat fish. The loons, I mean. The mosquitos eat me.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #44
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Minno, you're not originally from Ohio, are you?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
No, Michigan. Grand Haven and Spring Lake (where Nature smiles for 7 miles).

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #46
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Just asking because the Cardinal is the State Bird of Ohio.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Light bulb zappers sound like they're working oh so great, but mosquitoes really aren't drawn to them. One solution is to use LP powered mosquito traps. Using a combination of CO2, heat & scent attractant, they're a backyard black hole in the mosquito event horizon.

Mosquito Trap Review

I haven't run across a lot of people who use one of these. My one experience was several evenings of patio campfires in a buggy residential area north of Anchorage, AK. It was amazingly free of the little buggers. I'd think that the trap running for a fair while (days?) really helps. Skeeters tend not to migrate long distances during their lifetime -- I've heard figures like a tenth or a quarter mile maximum. This option is worth mentioning. I haven't looked into these for traveling because they are bulky, expensive and my experience hasn't suggested I'd use it very often. We sure have gotten used to managing skeets well enough in other ways.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #48
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We just got back from a trip to the UP and back around. Good news was that there were no black flies.

Bad news is that we think the mosquitoes sucked 'em all dry before they got around to us.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote