Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
More storage - Cargo Netting!

Cargo netting is a great way to secure stuff so that it doesn't go flying if you hit a pothole while going down the road. My worst nightmare - a cake mix or anything else containing flour coming out of the over the fridge cabinet. Poof! You'd never get it all cleaned out.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

In addition cargo netting can give you a remarkable amount of storage in awkward spaces. I now stow my coffee cups on the ROOF of the cabinet over the stove - yep. Here's a link for Camping World nets. The same stuff is available elsewhere. I took a piece of the 6 inch by 24/28 inch and screwed it into the curved ceiling behind the sliding doors. Four coffee cups nestle quite comfortably and I can SEE them which is much better than feeling around on the bottom of the cabinet. I got one of the framed 12 x 16 inch ones and put it in the bedroom half length closet just above the rod. Six inches of wasted space now hold my socks.

It just occurred to me that the back of the closets where the walls curve can be wasted space. I might get a few more netting pockets for shoes, cleaning supplies, etc.

With the Eddie Bauer I might just put a net on the bottom of the roadside dinette bench and "hang" my Dyson stick vacuum... I never have found another good spot to keep the darned thing handy yet out of sight.

Paula
Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We put the Dyson in the bedroom below the tv and near the wall, plug it in with the tv outlet. Handy but out of the way.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What a great idea!

Thanks for sharing.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They have pre-cut ones, in different sizes, at Amazon, too.....good prices.

One picture shows one secured to the inside of a cabinet. You could put this stuff almost anywhere.

Would love to see pictures of what you've done, Paula.

My a-bit-OCD (Doug would say a lot OCD) need for organization and tidiness has just been kicked into high gear.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One BIG problem with "storage solutions" is that many of them TAKE a lot of space away from drawers/cabinets., etc. Example: The drawers in the 25FB queen bedroom. Look at the drawer box - it's 2 inches below the top of the drawer and it rides on tracks that take away an inch on either side of the drawer.

Now I hear an old Cheech & Chong riff running through my head. You could install little pockets on the outsides of each drawer below the tracks & rollers - and "it's a place to hide your weed man!" Or maybe more pragmatically some spare cash, and small jewelry items.

The pantry DOOR on the 25 FB is probably about 8 inches wide, with the inside measurement being about 7 inches. Yet the wire racks in the pull out pantry are only about 3 inches wide. Lots of space going missing there. Plus wire shelves look neat until you realize the packet of dry yeast, a Kool-Aid package and some french onion soup packets now must be retrieved from the bowels of the pantry and the only thing that can reach them seems to be the awning tool with a piece of chewing gum stuck on the end. If only the sides had been pre drilled for adjustable shelf brackets.... and slide out drawers made of Masonite. Too much work now.

Also - think how deep that pantry is. It's not a space saver per se - but could I take a dowel rod and slide it into one of the unused shelf hanger brackets - with a roll of aluminum foil on it - and some kind of cutter blade. Or how about having a pantry that pulls out and you've got a "ferris wheel" that carries a paper towel roll, foil, saran wrap, wax paper, etc all ready to be dispensed.

Oh that I had the skills to match the imagination. Paula
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sides of closets and backs of cabinets would also be good spots for pieces of cargo netting...for putting soft things in, like those packets that like to disappear into the depths of your pantry.

I have seen a post, somewhere on here, of someone who put some slide-out things into those unused spaces above and below drawers and things.

You might at a rally be able to trade some labor for one of your delicious cooked items, Paula.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Paula, the world is your oyster. The narrow wire racks might be easily replaced with wider more appropriate offerings. I dont' think AS is addressing this. They might have "engineering" reasons for what they put in, but maybe have less real world functionality. Check out Kitchen cabinet companys, or big box home improvement stores. I think your idea of a dowel from front to back at the top of the pull out would make a great place to put all those items you mentioned, paper towels, plastic wrap, aluminum foil. Effectively use unused space for multiple space taker uppers....
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote