Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
2005 28' International CCD
Memberships in travel clubs

Does anyone have any experience with the Coast to Coast Membership or other affiliates of this type.....seem to be affiliated with Good Sam in some way....I am understanding that these offer "One time pay, Lifetime memberships" and allow a member access to a newwork of private, and public RV resorts and parks at a discount rate....and are different than just a good sam membership, or passport america or other such yearly fee type memberships...any thoughts

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
no replies???

no experience...or am i out of line or what???????

Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
None. We just have Good Sam and Passport America. They seem to have the best deals on the best places. I could be out of line, but most of the KAO camp grounds didn't seem to fit our style. Plus the best reason to join Good Sam or Passport America is for the trip planner!
Dave and Felicia
wxbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Our only experience id with Camp Club USA. We were members for one year and dropped it because every time we tried to use it, the membership price was unavailable. At one campground, we were told that they only had one site at the Club price, and that site was hardly ever available. We decided that it wasn't worth it.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have used Passport America, and been happy with it. We only join in years when we know we are going to be on the road and us it. Always get more than our money back in discounts. You have to read the restrictions posted in the Passport America book by the various camp grounds.

Once we walked into a camp ground which was not listed, and asked "What is the best deal you offer?". The young woman replied, "We discount for AAA, Good Sam and AARP." I was about to get one of those cards when she said "Oh yes, we are also Passport America." That made it half price.

Jim Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I only use Good Sam, primarily for when we travel, otherwise no need for it...

Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We had Passport America and it paid for itself. Half off is a good deal although some of the properties they feature are clearly overpriced to begin with. Let it go when we started focusing on State and National Parks.

If you are 62 or over, you can get the lifetime "Senior Access Pass" for federal campgrounds ($10) and that gives you half off (there is also one for the permanently disabled).

If you are half-timing or better and under 62, you might want to buy an annual access pass ($80) -- good at all "federal fee areas" for gate admission.

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
RV Resorts?????

my inquiry wants to know anyones experience specifically with plans such as Coast to Coast or RPI or other membership type plans...that offer access to private RV "resorts" as well as public parks I(not state or national) and that may or may not overlap Passport America, Good Scam...yes Good Scam, not Good Sam.....Coast to Coast specifically.....thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
Good Scam...yes Good Scam, not Good Sam....
OK, I'm new here -- what are you talking about?
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #10

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I suspect that you are getting so few responses because the airstreamers I know are travelers - and always on the lookout for new places. Others camp with their units wherever they are going.

I admit my experience with clubs, such as Thousand Trails, is limited to a friend who has an sob and never goes anywhere but to his home camp. We've coaxed him out every now and again but I think he enjoys the level of comfort that certainty brings.

I will say that I have been a member of Good Sam for many years and have used their road service once. The value of that service far exceeded its cost. Sorry you haven't found the case to be similar for you.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Where we , Park it!

We've found that the best discounts, where available, have been through the Escapees club (Escapees RV Club the club for all RVers) Membership entitles you to stay at one of the club's co-op parks for a very reasonable rate.

As well, there are many private RV parks that offer a special rate to Escapees' member that are often less than Good Sam, AAA, or Passport. For example, we paid $7 less per night at an RV park in Meridian ID (near Boise) - the GS/AAA rate was $25 per night, Escapees $18 per night. At Gila Bend AZ we paid $10 per night as Escapees, $15 all "others."

We've participated in the sales pitches of RPI, Western Horizons, etc. Besides seeming quite expensive for what they are, there are too many restrictions, i.e. only can stay two weeks, then out a week, then & then & then! We've also heard from several members that there are often glitches with the reservation system. When we've needed to stay in an actual "RV" park, such as for a convention, none of these "clubs" have any local parks on their rosters that are even close to our destination.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
1973 31' Sovereign
Raleigh , North Carolina
I belong to a NC camp resort that has is affiliated to and has access to the Coast to Coast network. We have been pleased with the benefits of the Coast to Coast. Our annual membership dues are +/- $100 or so. The dues gets us access to their network of camp sights at a discount rate. For example: Twice this year June & Aug we camped at Camp Hatteras an affilated club. With out the Coast to Coast discount the daily rate is $85 Peak season. Our rate was $15. Great place and very kid friendly. Aug of 07 we camped in Lenor NC and saved approx $30 per night. The challenge is the network does have its limitations. To join a Coast to Coast you need to have a "home" site. We got our home site off Craigslist so we didn't have to do the sales pitch thing and our dues at our home site is reasonable.
kenthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If you are interested in joining one of those RV camping resort chains like Thousand Trails, etc, you're far better off buying your membership from someone who wants to sell one rather than from the club itself...look in the classified of RV and travel magazines....they are always there... A new membership can be quite pricey.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #14
thanks for the info....but

I am investigating further, however... As I understand Coast to Coast (who is owned by the Good Scam Club...and another story entirely,,)
is a network of 300 "private" RV resorts accessible with a membership for $10.00 per night and 250 public affiliated parks at $15.00 per night,,,full hook ups...subject to some restrictions...and this membership involves and revolves around a home base of "resort parks" were one can stay for $0 once enrolled ..membership includes not only RV accomodations but discounts for condos, cabins, cruises and other such amenities...and can be transferred to heirs or sold to another the basic membership revolves around the chain of "Home" resort parks and C2C and RPI are ancillarily amenities...that are included in the price?????

So does anyone have any experience with this type of membership???