Old 06-27-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
Mail service (and some administrative details)

One thing that a full-timer really needs is a dependable way to receive mail, register a motor vehicle, and ensure (or, block) access to contacts from folks who need to contact you wherever you may be. Over the years, I tried many ways to do this, and — for me, at this particular time — the Escapees RV Club Mail Forwarding Service is the one that meets my particular needs. For those of you who may need it…

Particulars of fees, the guarantee, free insurance against identity theft, etc. are found at this link:

http://www.escapees.com/MailForwardingService.asp

There are many options if/when you decide that you need a service like this. I only offer this recommendation after trying many other kinds of support that include (1) depending on the good will (and energy) of family and friends, (2) some other mail services, and (3) switching to a local address when I felt I had to. You may feel that some other service or “home state” is better, and you may even convince me (I can certainly change again if you do).

Over the years, I have had a “local” identity enough times to have “required” changing my driver license, vehicle registrations, voter registration, concealed weapons permit, jury duty eligibility, billing addresses, magazine subscriptions, hospitals (and doctors and dentists), memberships in local organizations, notification to friends and family, changing mobile (and later, cellular) phone numbers, etc. fourteen times (not including the several times I have gone back to a particular state after a period of absence, or any moves within a particular state). It’s important to remember that I am a “full-timer,” and that these changes of “home state” have very little to do with my “location” or “actual residence.”

There are certainly some drawbacks to full-timing, but there are not so very many — and there are some advantages that help to balance everything. One particular advantage that I have used periodically over the years is the ability to scratch your “hitch itch” whenever you want — on as little as fifteen minutes’ notice — and I can now do this with complete assurance that I will not miss a single piece of mail and without (until you can convince me otherwise) ever again going through the administrative hassle of (again) changing all that stuff outlined in the previous paragraph.

Oh, and I became a Texan without ever giving in to that urge (and there is one) to purchase a cowboy hat. *grin*

No offence intended. Your own cowboy hat looks great!

I’ll have to settle for my tried and true Tilley hat (the first replaced by factory warranty after ten years, the second one has been with me for almost twenty).

- Johnny

Old 07-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
we're using: http://www.maillinkplus.com, which gives us the ability to check our mail through the web, request forwarding or trashing...very happy with service.

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcloud
we're using: http://www.maillinkplus.com, which gives us the ability to check our mail through the web, request forwarding or trashing...very happy with service.
Neat! It's good to hear that you, too, have a service that meets your needs.

Where do you have your sat dish installed? I can't see it in your photos. You are tougher than I am to go out and about without air conditioning.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
we have A/C

we have air conditioning! we aren't that tough either!

we have a tripod setup for internet.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcloud View Post
we're using: $10 Mailbox Rentals, Mail Forwarding, FREE Resident Agent, Notary - Las Vegas NV, which gives us the ability to check our mail through the web, request forwarding or trashing...very happy with service.
UPDATE: I'm not so happy with maillinkplus anymore. I do like the online services that they provide (email notification & view contents in box) however, twice now they've opened our mail that contained checks from our bank and then forward them loose in an envelope.