Old 06-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Canton , Georgia
I used to live in Lewisville tx and i know its hot.
Livable? Whats livable? Do you think it can keep it 70 degrees?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
I wouldn't so much say a lemon. Pick any one of the subject problems I mentioned and do a simple search on the forum and you decide. None of the problems were uncommon. Forgot to add, search corrosion also. I'm not anti Airstream at all but I am thinking quality was lost in the newer units, expecially when Thor bought them.
This is a great forum and a good resource whatever you decide.
BTW, we do what you suggest. We travel full time with this 1 month stay in Gunnison being the longest in one spot.. just a trial for a restless person like me!
It is a good life to travel at will and we see people enjoying it in everything from homemade wooden teardrops to the expensive busses and everything in between. Just get out and do it, you can always park if its not for you.
Good luck
Phil

Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutallee View Post
I used to live in Lewisville tx and i know its hot.
Livable? Whats livable? Do you think it can keep it 70 degrees?
It could probably get the temp down to 70F here this time of year... at night. At a humid 100F you're not going to see 70 outside the refer, but you're likely to be able to keep it under 80 if you're set up in the shade.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
nsteel, it took me a couple of years to work the "bugs" out of my 2007 Airstream, and by the time I traded it for this one it was perfect; but.......your 5th wheel will always be ugly !!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Motor homes are awful nice. And when you are parked you do not have to drive a 1 ton dually that gets 8mpg if it is a gasser and 15 if it is a diesel. Motorhomes towing a car drive nice, at least as long as you do not have to back up. Oil changes can be done on site. New 34' Airstream plus truck runs $150,000 and up. At 20 to 50 bucks a night camping fees add up. Where do you plan on boondocking with a 5 th wheel or even a 34' Airstream.
Me, I pull a old 25' Airstream and we go out for up to 4 months at a time. Ocassionally we can fit it into forest service campgrounds and save a few bucks on fees.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
nsteel, it took me a couple of years to work the "bugs" out of my 2007 Airstream, and by the time I traded it for this one it was perfect; but.......your 5th wheel will always be ugly !!
Why would you trade a "perfect" one on a new one? Did you get bored with no more "bugs" to fix?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Like most everything else in life, there are tradeoffs. An AS has smaller tanks than I'd like (I've got a good solar system and electricity/battery life is never my limiting factor; it's always tankage ... if I carry an extra 7 gal. of water I can easily boondock for a week), and one can always either use more storage space or simplify more. You have to calculate your own tradeoff points.

But I think that for traveling, an AS can't be beat for fuel mileage, towing comfort, tow safety, etc. 5ers do tend to pound the devil out of the tow vehicle .... one as small as you're looking at, probably less so. You should try to get a ride with someone who owns the trailer and tow vehicle you're considering, to see what the comfort level is. They also use up most of the truck bed, but then again, they've got more of their own interior storage or "basement" storage.

If I were gonna' be in one place for months at a time, I'd definitely look at a big box. They've usually got bigger tanks and more storage. But I tend to roll more, and the AS is great at that.

I'd also never consider a washer/dryer unless I had a Prevost and the washer/dryer were completely top of the line. Too many friends with them find them useless and prefer to go the laundromat route. Besides, to use them, you need hookups and a) I don't go to many places with hookups, and b) when you're at such a place, there's almost always laundry facilities. If I had the space, I'd put in a fly tying desk or reloading bench! But then maybe you'll love having a washer/dryer - like I said, it's all tradeoffs. I once saw a huge 5er with a small piano in it! Not for me, but he loved it.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Canton , Georgia
AirsDream, what make/model of airstream do you have. Do you live in yours and just travel around like I want to do. Tell me about your way of doing this. You say you "tend to roll more", how so? You say you "dont go to many places with hook up". So when you need more water what do you do? Where do you go to get fresh water? How often do you stay in one place?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
I like my Airstream, but I would never full-time in it. I've used it in the summer as well as some in the winter. They have very little insulation and are hard to heat and cool. There is not a lot of storage space and they get roof leaks just like any other unit.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Canton , Georgia
Ben4762: Im starting to realize that the Airstream isnt something you want to live in fulltime traveling around the country. Its starting to look like 5th wheel or a class C is the way to go.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Yes, nsteel; I've about got all the bugs worked out of this one, so my 2012 "fixer-upper" has been ordered...........someone, help me, please!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just for the record and not to discourage those who "fit" the Airstream lifestyle, fulltiming and traveling around the country may not be one concept. We have traveled around the country in our small Airstream as well as a VW camper van in complete comfort, months at a time. Many full-time in their Airstream traveling around the country.

The point is you are likely to travel more with rig designed primarily for travel, and none are better designed for travel than Airstream. You are less likely to travel more with a rig designed to spread (slide) out, hook up to utilities, and sit with the comforts and space of home, and none are designed for sitting better than a fifth wheel.

doug k
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutallee View Post
Ben4762: Im starting to realize that the Airstream isnt something you want to live in fulltime traveling around the country. Its starting to look like 5th wheel or a class C is the way to go.
This thread isn't representative of A/S fulltiming. While you may want something else, there is much more to be read on this forum. The canard that A/S leaks, etc is overblown. The insulation "could" be better but are you planning on staying in Death Valley in July? Minnesota in winter? With but an exception or three all RV's are 3-season.

Good luck
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Canton , Georgia
You are less likely to travel more with a rig designed to spread (slide) out, hook up to utilities

I dont see how you couldnt hook up to utilities in an Airstream with the small tanks they have.