Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
1979 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Looking for rental land in Carbondale, IL

There's a good chance I might try to live in my 1978 Sovereign as a graduate student in Carbondale, IL for the next two years (Fall 2011). My husband will keep the home fires lit in Nashville, though I imagine he'll visit me for extended periods of time. Any suggestions on where I might find rental land and/or a decent trailer park (oxymoron?) in Carbondale?

cindymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio

I graduated from SIU in the late 80's. At that time there were a number of trailer parks in the area though all had manufactured homes in them.

Not sure how much you've checked out that area but I also remember that once you got a mile or two outside of town it was common to see a house on a large lot where someone had set up an old junky trailer or two that they rented to students. Might be able to find such a place that has a vacant spot where you could hook up.

The only actual RV parks I know of with full hookups are in Herrin and Marion, which would be a bit of a drive every day. Giant City State Park is fantastic but I think electric only and probably only allows two week stay maximum.

You might have to just make some calls or knock on some doors and ask around.

blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings CindyMay!

Welcome to the Forums!

I am an SIU-C alumni as well, and live 18 miles from campus today. There was something of an uproar over the condition of rental properties being offered to students a few years ago that spurred a number of changes in county zoning laws as well as zoning within the city of Carbondale. My understanding is that these changes have made it more difficult to setup RVs in mobile home parks. I am not familiar with the Jackson county (home to Carbondale), but Union county (next to the South) real estate tax laws have changed such that some who once rented ground to the owners of mobile homes no longer do so as a result of changes in the real estate tax code that make the land owner responsible for the annual taxes on any mobile homes parked on his/her ground rather than the owner of the mobile home itself.

Something to keep in mind as well is that we do have four to six weeks each winter where temperatures are such that you could expect to use several hundred dollars worth of propane to run your Airstream's furnace. Even with the furnace running, you could expect issues keeping your city water supply from freezing as well as the waste water drain.

Good luck with your investigation!

P.S.: I am aware of only one and possibly two RV parks within an hours drive of Carbondale that might be open year round -- most parks in this area close sometime in November.
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

carbondale, illinois, rental land, sovereign