Old 10-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
Longterm storage while traveling

Hi I am new and we are getting ready to full time. So my question is about storing some of the things that are in our house. We have a large alumn 3 horse van with a small living quarters and here is my thought ... I am not really ready to let all my horsey stuff go yet so was going to oil my tack put it in the tack area and then pack up my stuff like clocks and just stuff into plasic boxes and put it all in the area where the horses went then put the furniture I don't want to get rid of put it in the living quarters of it. Then lock it all up throw a tarp over it and put it in a storage place... I am thinking it would be cheaper to store the horse van than to rent a storage room thing. So any idea I sure would appreciate it

I am slow in responding have a lot of things going on and I do get lost

Victorialhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Storing in a horse trailer in the northern climates invites condensation under the tarp and damage to the contents. Storing in the south in more humid areas invites the possibilities of mold other insect problems. Proper ventilation of the storage facilities is a must. Talk to you local large franchised storage facilities to see how they construct and operate their facilities to meet the conditions found in your area. If you can not make modifications to your plans to make for safe storage of your items, you should turn the job over to them or donate them to charity now and take the tax deduction rather than opening the trailer two years from now and finding them all damaged and worthless and have to throw them out.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I would agree. I have found the hard way that non climate controlled storage for any length of time usually results in the stored items being turned into junk. Your storage proposal would most likely result in the horse trailer being the only thing worth having.

I would suggest finding a storage facility that has climate controlled units and trailer storage. They might be willing to cut you a deal if you rent both trailer space and an enclosed unit.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Originally Posted by Victorialhq View Post
Hi I am new and we are getting ready to full time.

I am slow in responding have a lot of things going on and I do get lost
Getting ready to full time, mentally prepared, storage is for lack of commitment to becoming a full timer. DW couldn't do it, likes conveniences of home too much. You would solve the getting lost part as a full timer is never lost, just in a new place.
I'm sure Texas has the same problems as we have here, the advice of climate controlled storage is the best answer for humidity, maybe even mice and other critters. It's amazing what they will chew on, at least leather is almost food product. Wires, plastic, hypalon, kapok, wood all make for good nesting material.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
Fulltiming for us will be a piece of cake I have never put our things in storage before so is a new experience ... just at a loss because I am having to well sort of rush to do this and having to do it alone I just never thought of the trailer issues I know the tack does well in it so I assumed the rest would do well in it too lol

Totally did not think about mice buit I don't think they can get into that van as we had never had them in it even in harsh winters when they scurried into the barn ... we have not lived in TX very long

thanks for the advice and it is things I cannot part with so guess I will have to rethink that part and go to plan B
Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #6

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
hi we have had things in storage for 6 years. we opted for climate controlled and have not regretted it. when i just unpaacked and emptied out the locker, everything was just like i put them in. we used rubbermaid containers for everything and put duk tape around the edges so no mice or other things could get in. we stored clothes, crafts, fabric,.......i would do it again if i had to.
good luck full timing pat
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A passing thought...

The thought is, find a climate controlled storage place big enough for your "stuff", pack it well, and store it. Maybe a friend or neighbor can keep the horse trailer for you. If money is a consideration, you could sell the horse trailer, and use the proceeeds to pay for the storage for a few years.

Another thought is to find indoor storage for the horse trailer, seal everything up really well in plastic totes, and place them inside the horse trailer. Place trapsfor mice and rats anywhere you think would be good, then place a few more.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Where we , Park it!
We've also had "stuff" in storage for about 6 years. Definitely the climate controlled storage is the way to go - otherwise, you will return to a lot of unusable trash! Many years ago, we were advised by storage locker managers to put anything "edible" by pests into plastic storage containers. We followed this advice & have been pleased with any items that we have stored. Additionally, I placed little sachet bags of dried lavender in containers that contained off season clothes, etc. Doing this eliminated any musty odors as well as kept bugs away. (Peppermint & spearmint also keep mice away!)
You will probably find that it's difficult to cull out items to place in storage vs. items to sell & give away. We found that, after several years in storage, there were things that we really didn't need or use. Like many before us, we probably stored too much initially & have been getting rid of this "stuff" over the years.

Since electronic devices, such as TV's computers, VHS players, become obsolete so quickly, we recycled these items to offspring or gave away before they became obsolete & no one wanted them!

All the best in your full-timing adventure!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
Thanks for all the advice. We have decided to put some things in the trailer and put the trailer in a family members shop. The rest is going to be just given to the kids then after that to Ebay with the proceeds going to St Judes
The horse trailer would be hard to replace. I am more concerned about my show tack getting killed my mice so in the process of looking for totes big enough to store it in. When the day comes that I am alone I think having my horse will be part of my salvation .. another friend in TN will be keeping 3 of my horses and most of my dogs. so they will be there when I need them I will make sure I get plenty of Dcon and leave ways for people to get into put poison in it. It will be in storage for I hope and pray 2 yrs ..not sure how it will be going back to all of our things and being alone with it ... ok have to get happy again here and look to the future of fulltiming and seeing all that we had dreamed of