Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
Lindsay moved to Thailand and is backpacking all over. Hehehee, well, it seems like that's what happened. Anyway, she started an interesting story. Keep it going! I'm afraid at 67, financial security to retire, I'll never be able to live my full time, simple life dream. W. D. Mitty, over and out.
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #62

1998 31' Excella 1000
Ocean Park , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayStove View Post
Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I thought that purchasing a used Airstream trailer (in 'great' or 'excellent' condition) would be best for me because the costs seem so much lesser than were I to purchase a house or rent a house/apartment.

In the LA area, mobile homes are near the same price as single-family homes (and town houses, condos, etc.). I was hoping to own something of my own and for not too much. In Los Angeles, a basic house with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in a "good" area starts around $450,000; out of my budget. A one-bedroom apartment in a "good" area starts around $1,500/month; my budget, but wasteful. (The cost of housing were I to rent an apartment for the three years I am - signed, sealed, delivered! - committed to Los Angeles will be over $54,000.)

I thought spending $30,000 or so on an Airstream (not including the cost of land/space & utilities/hook-ups) would be much better. I am not ready to commit to one place "forever", hence the mobility of an Airstream (clearly more mobile than a mobile home). I am also not going to live in it for more than five years, max. After my three-year commitment is up, I want to travel around the US. I also considered an Airstream for that reason.

I do have people in my life who could assist were repairs to come up, and family in the area in case of any Airstream crises, and so on. I could learn what I can, read books, tinker around...

I simply want to know if it's feasible, life in an Airstream. Could I find someone with a lot of land in the LA area and park it out back? Do I need some sort of foundation? Certainly I could just live in a long, flat, cement driveway. What hookups ARE required? I know toilets are issues on RV's, buses, etc., but I could set up a compost toilet system. I just need a bit of advice; a story, book, blog, what-have-you that could point me in the right direction. If you truly think there's a better alternative, do let me know. If you think this is a decent idea, do let me know, even if you can't assist much further than that (it would boost my confidence in my search for answers!) Thank you for all your help!
I thought I would share my Airstream experience. We sold a 2500 sq. ft. house and bought a 31 ft. 1998 that had only been used 7 times on short trips. We owned a large metal shop and moved into the Airstream. It would have been hard to make it work if we didn't have the shop and garden. The washer and dryer were in the shop and an extra bathroom. We store the trailer inside when we aren't staying there but even with the best of care it takes work and upkeep. This one has spent most of it's life inside of covered roof. Good luck with what you decide.
Curlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:11 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Gee, a 30 X 60 shop with water, sewer, natural gas supply and 3 phase power would be my dream home for me and my Airstream! Cost prohibitive and a zoning violation in California as it's commercial property. Anybody know where a person could buy something like this inexpensively? Like in some out of the way rust belt town? I could move.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
I noticed most posts are talking about California. The best kept secret is central Texas. I could list numerous reasons why it's the place to full time. Like maybe half the cost of California. But hey don't take my word for it. Pull your rig out here and see for yourself. It is central to all in the US. Well not all places but most.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #65
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Living permanently in a stationary Airstream

Texas south of a line extending E-W through Waco.

North of that gets the terrific Plains cold and ice storms. It's not an annual occurrence, but it may mean "winterizing" the TT in favor of other accommodations for a time. (1989 saw a front that kept temps below 20F for days). While these storms can extend south from there, use Waco as a convenient starting point. The worst is over soonest.

And March can be the coldest month (overcast, steady 20-30/mph wind and rain).

Only south of San Antonio can one reasonably expect a frost-free winter, on average.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Amen to that brother. Full timer in San Antonio Texas since 2004. Been to Alaska three times. This last time is my last. The road from Whitehorse to Tok was the killer. Living in a 2004 31ft classic. Just painted the portion below the hot water heater Pepsi blue.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #67
wcs
2 Rivet Member

Grayland , Washington
I would first do some math and find the average RV or mobile home park monthly rates in the area(s) you want to live, then multiply by 32 months.

Compare RV monthly rates times 32 to price of small piece of land with utilities and septic. RV space monthly space rent vary depending on the area such as inside a the city, town, within suburbia or rural. If you prefer being close to the outdoors, some are next to or inside a wilderness. Others are right next to the ocean (which is also considered to be a wilderness that the majority of the population never experiences, unless scuba diving.)

Some parks you pay extra for a swimming pool, sauna, club-house and other recreational activities that full timers often don't use. Many RV parks have or are becoming more like resorts where much of the rent goes towards maintaining resort like service and admendities .
wcs is offline   Reply With Quote