Old 10-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Laundry day in the Airstream

Easy way to wash and spin dry a few shirts and socks! Best Choice Compact Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine and Spin.

OK pajamas are next...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4973.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	297217  

HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
I got one and used it once at my sticks-and-bricks house to try it out before moving into my Airstream. So far I haven't used it and at my size I think it's going to get voted off the island. It works great... but the independent self-sufficiency I thought it would give me is losing out to the siren of the park laundry which calls more strongly than I had thought, having never used a shared laundry before in my life.

halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
In the time it would take us to do ten day's of laundry in that thing, we can drive to the nearest laundromat in town (assuming the CG doesn't have one,) do the loads, drive back home and go on a five mile hike in the desert. Plus you've got to give up the space to carry that thing. No thanks!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
if too busy, take a bag to the laundromat.. there are folks who will wash, dry, fold and sometimes starch.. while my wife and I are off having fun... of course we do the laundry together...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
I was just trying to add to communicating about the washer and I feel badly that I contributed to kicking off yet another negative Airforums thread. I think there are definitely use cases for it. If I used that many socks. Or I used to do triathlons and I would *definitely* have used it to keep up with all the smelly fast-dry workout clothes. Or maybe if I lived in a low humidity area where clothes dry well.

I am in no way speaking against the product (I gave a positive review of the product) when I say it isn't for me. In my use case, I don't go through that many socks these days, and I mainly wear knits that don't dry very well in the South, and with my disability the work it takes also takes a bit more out of my hide than just going to the laundry... so for me I found that it wasn't a good match. Also, I'm going to Florida after Thanksgiving and I still have mine, if anyone is looking to buy one that's been used just a couple of times.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Halfloaf; not sure you kicked off "another negative" thread?? I think this kind of device may be useful to some; there are "lots of them" on Amazon to choose from. (I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get an ice maker but that's another story!)

For us, this portable machine takes up too much space. We already use a hamper in the shower to store our dirty cloths. Space is a premium in the AS! We can go 2-3 weeks with our laundry and get it done pretty fast at a laundry mat at local camp grounds typically, or ask around the camp your staying...likely the camp host will know a place that is inexpensive nearby. For us, the key for the cloths you take along is to always try to buy "wash & wear" type clothing so, "no ironing", just folding.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My trailer came with the optional Splendide combination washer/dryer. I thought of removing it in favor of space re-utilization, but then realized my wardrobe and all other needs could be met by changing to lightweight artificial fabrics. (Microfiber bath towels are pretty decent).

Which then spurred thoughts of having my kitchen cabinetry rebuilt to house both dishwasher and ice maker . . may as well get the most from a 35-foot trailer.

Since I did not have the optional 90-gallon fresh water tankage, that became more an obvious thing to do. Other appliances could be fitted. Along with high capacity pump, better filtration, etc.

Now, letís see. I no longer have to make an irritating trip for yet more ice and to do laundry. Whatís missing? Ah, yes, a liquor cabinet.

All of which is to say that there are plenty of great threads to get daydreams afoot and roaming.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
No room in Rocinante for more gadgets. None. So, we'll keep using laundromats for big loads. Small items we can wash/rinse in the big kitchen sink and hang out on a dryer rack we can unfold outside.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Is there a "naked Airstreamer thread yet?" oh, could be Burning Man territory perhaps? I think the laundromats are a necessity when extended travel is happening...we typically will find an RV park and ask where they go for cheap laundry costs, or if they have facilities, what they would charge to use theirs...even stay over night at an inexpensive RV park to do same. Works for us. I have seen those manual units like the Avalon unit, but not ready to go there yet....still have a lot of quarters saved up....
https://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Bay-No...+washer+for+RV
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
You were not being negative....people just got to relax and stop taking crap so serious!!1. Everyone has their opinions and the RIGHT to have their opinions. Thanks for posting. Good to hear what everyone has, does out there!!!

Enjoy your day!!!
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Whatever works for you 😃
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I can see how that would be useful for small loads or a single shirt or two... We full-time two adults and 4 children to dogs no way that thing would fly with us! We generate a hundred pounds of laundry a week!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I recently switched my glass shower door for the retractable Stoett Nautilus curtain which makes the shower a very convenient place to hang wet clothing. I also jave a small fan on a gimbal that can blow straight up. Been thinking about one of these for myself...

Some campgrounds have excellent facilities, and others.... ancient and awful, overpriced, or way too few machines. And only a few have any internet listing. I recently drove almost 10 miles to find one, then driving back spotted an excellent one 4 blocks from the camp. Aargh!

Even so.. I will probably not purchase a portable one, space is the issue that is a killer in a 25.

Paula
Old 05-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That retractible shower door looks awesome! When we eventually start having issues with our glass door, this looks like a great option.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote