Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Laundry day in the Airstream

Easy way to wash and spin dry a few shirts and socks! Best Choice Compact Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine and Spin.

OK pajamas are next...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4973.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	297217  
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
I got one and used it once at my sticks-and-bricks house to try it out before moving into my Airstream. So far I haven't used it and at my size I think it's going to get voted off the island. It works great... but the independent self-sufficiency I thought it would give me is losing out to the siren of the park laundry which calls more strongly than I had thought, having never used a shared laundry before in my life.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
In the time it would take us to do ten day's of laundry in that thing, we can drive to the nearest laundromat in town (assuming the CG doesn't have one,) do the loads, drive back home and go on a five mile hike in the desert. Plus you've got to give up the space to carry that thing. No thanks!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
if too busy, take a bag to the laundromat.. there are folks who will wash, dry, fold and sometimes starch.. while my wife and I are off having fun... of course we do the laundry together...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
I was just trying to add to communicating about the washer and I feel badly that I contributed to kicking off yet another negative Airforums thread. I think there are definitely use cases for it. If I used that many socks. Or I used to do triathlons and I would *definitely* have used it to keep up with all the smelly fast-dry workout clothes. Or maybe if I lived in a low humidity area where clothes dry well.

I am in no way speaking against the product (I gave a positive review of the product) when I say it isn't for me. In my use case, I don't go through that many socks these days, and I mainly wear knits that don't dry very well in the South, and with my disability the work it takes also takes a bit more out of my hide than just going to the laundry... so for me I found that it wasn't a good match. Also, I'm going to Florida after Thanksgiving and I still have mine, if anyone is looking to buy one that's been used just a couple of times.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Halfloaf; not sure you kicked off "another negative" thread?? I think this kind of device may be useful to some; there are "lots of them" on Amazon to choose from. (I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get an ice maker but that's another story!)

For us, this portable machine takes up too much space. We already use a hamper in the shower to store our dirty cloths. Space is a premium in the AS! We can go 2-3 weeks with our laundry and get it done pretty fast at a laundry mat at local camp grounds typically, or ask around the camp your staying...likely the camp host will know a place that is inexpensive nearby. For us, the key for the cloths you take along is to always try to buy "wash & wear" type clothing so, "no ironing", just folding.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My trailer came with the optional Splendide combination washer/dryer. I thought of removing it in favor of space re-utilization, but then realized my wardrobe and all other needs could be met by changing to lightweight artificial fabrics. (Microfiber bath towels are pretty decent).

Which then spurred thoughts of having my kitchen cabinetry rebuilt to house both dishwasher and ice maker . . may as well get the most from a 35-foot trailer.

Since I did not have the optional 90-gallon fresh water tankage, that became more an obvious thing to do. Other appliances could be fitted. Along with high capacity pump, better filtration, etc.

Now, let’s see. I no longer have to make an irritating trip for yet more ice and to do laundry. What’s missing? Ah, yes, a liquor cabinet.

All of which is to say that there are plenty of great threads to get daydreams afoot and roaming.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:50 PM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
No room in Rocinante for more gadgets. None. So, we'll keep using laundromats for big loads. Small items we can wash/rinse in the big kitchen sink and hang out on a dryer rack we can unfold outside.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Is there a "naked Airstreamer thread yet?" oh, could be Burning Man territory perhaps? I think the laundromats are a necessity when extended travel is happening...we typically will find an RV park and ask where they go for cheap laundry costs, or if they have facilities, what they would charge to use theirs...even stay over night at an inexpensive RV park to do same. Works for us. I have seen those manual units like the Avalon unit, but not ready to go there yet....still have a lot of quarters saved up....
https://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Bay-No...+washer+for+RV
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
You were not being negative....people just got to relax and stop taking crap so serious!!1. Everyone has their opinions and the RIGHT to have their opinions. Thanks for posting. Good to hear what everyone has, does out there!!!

Enjoy your day!!!
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Whatever works for you 😃
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I can see how that would be useful for small loads or a single shirt or two... We full-time two adults and 4 children to dogs no way that thing would fly with us! We generate a hundred pounds of laundry a week!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I recently switched my glass shower door for the retractable Stoett Nautilus curtain which makes the shower a very convenient place to hang wet clothing. I also jave a small fan on a gimbal that can blow straight up. Been thinking about one of these for myself...

Some campgrounds have excellent facilities, and others.... ancient and awful, overpriced, or way too few machines. And only a few have any internet listing. I recently drove almost 10 miles to find one, then driving back spotted an excellent one 4 blocks from the camp. Aargh!

Even so.. I will probably not purchase a portable one, space is the issue that is a killer in a 25.

Paula
Old 05-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That retractible shower door looks awesome! When we eventually start having issues with our glass door, this looks like a great option.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Laundromats...

So far on our journey we are relying on laundromats and thought I'd share a few things we've learned.

1. Choose one with an attendant. If you are somewhere and there is more than one laundromat to choose from, see which one or one's have a full time attendant. Usually these facilities are cleaner and better maintained. Ask the attendant about the local water and if hard or soft and adjust the amount of detergent you use accordingly. Ask the attendant about the washing machines and whether or not they work OK at all the temperature settings (E.g. hot may not work because of their water heater or water pressure).

2. Do a walk through. Before bringing in all your stuff just do a walk through the facility to see if it is fairly clean, check the machines (see below), make sure you are comfortable with the place, etc.

3. Take a good look at the washing machine. What we have seen over and over is folks putting way too much detergent, fabric softener, etc. in the machine. My wife has multiple chemical sensitivities so having someone else's detergent (and the nasty fragrances) in our clothing and sheets can be a big health problem. At one facility we learned that the staff from some carnival had recently come through and overloaded all the machines. An attendant at the laundry we are currently using told us that sometimes there is so much detergent in the machine that she has seen soap suds coming out of the coin slot! We have run loads where we did not add any soap at all, and our wash was so full of soap from the previous person that we had to run the load a second and even a third time just to rinse it to get all the soap out. So what we have found is a) examine the soap/softener loading compartment and see if it is caked with detergent, etc. Avoid if so. b) Give the washer a "sniff" test. Does it reek of someone's perfume or cologne? Avoid if so. c) Before putting in your load, if a front load washer close the door and pour a gallon or so of fresh water through the soap loading compartment (this was a recommendation from a laundromat attendant in Ohio, bless her heart) and use a paper towel to wipe out excess detergent. d) During the rinse cycle, add a cup of white vinegar. This acts as a fabric softener and helps reduce the detergent level.

4. Take a good look at the dryer before you put your clothes in. Spin the drum and see if anything is in it. We have found all kinds of things in dryers, such as chewing gum, cat poop, screws stuck in the drum that could wreck your clothes, etc. Also, check the glass on the front to see whether it is smeared with something (like too much soap still in the clothes) from the previous person's wash.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #16
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I would like to add one more "lookout for"

Front loading washing machines running cold water only, that don't pump out the full tub. There is a water level below the spinning tub you can hear if you rotate the spinning tub by hand.
Unit smells like mold, signs posted to leave the door open, , ,
Danger
Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #17
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Super advice! Thanks.

Would also add that laundry day can be made a lot easier in the stage of packing for the trip. We try to get by with only dark clothes so that everything can be put into the same load, and they don't show every spot to begin with. Even underwear: dry her itsy bitsies in the shower or on a discrete outdoor line, if they're a must, but underwear that can go in the drier is a big help.

Every clothing item packed goes with every other clothing item packed. This cuts down on the need for a lot of clothes to begin with.

Microfiber towels (available at mountain shops if not elsewhere.)

We're constantly saving quarters for our travels. In Canada these would be loonies ($1 coins.)

Concentrated detergent takes up less space, and requires less schlepping. There are some green brands.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I would like to add one more "lookout for"

Front loading washing machines running cold water only, that don't pump out the full tub. There is a water level below the spinning tub you can hear if you rotate the spinning tub by hand.
Unit smells like mold, signs posted to leave the door open, , ,
Danger
Luckily haven't seen this one yet but will keep our eye out for it from now on!

Thanks

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Super advice! Thanks.

Would also add that laundry day can be made a lot easier in the stage of packing for the trip. We try to get by with only dark clothes so that everything can be put into the same load, and they don't show every spot to begin with. Even underwear: dry her itsy bitsies in the shower or on a discrete outdoor line, if they're a must, but underwear that can go in the drier is a big help.

Every clothing item packed goes with every other clothing item packed. This cuts down on the need for a lot of clothes to begin with.

Microfiber towels (available at mountain shops if not elsewhere.)

We're constantly saving quarters for our travels. In Canada these would be loonies ($1 coins.)

Concentrated detergent takes up less space, and requires less schlepping. There are some green brands.
My point as well in earlier post. Organization beforehand. I travel full-time for work. Same fabric types (washing requirements) is the big one. 25’ for wash cycle and 18’ for dry cycle. Ten days of clothing.

How fast it’s done may not matter for most, but as it does for me it’s no longer much of a chore. About an hour to where it’s re-hung and I can leave.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote