Old 06-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
I think you've made a great decision! I am empathetic and do not think you're crazy at all: in the mid-eighties I quit a good job, loaded my few belongings into a storage unit, and set off for a year and a half of cruising aboard my sister and brother-in-laws' 30-foot sailboat and eventually my own 24-foot sloop. It was very liberating! I didn't miss all the trappings and expenses of a "traditional" life, but I simply ran out of money!

Carol, Aboard "Aggie the DreamStream"
WBCCI# 5248
Rollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
Carl, both my wife & I work for big corporations ( Kroger & Coca-Cola ) As luck would have it Tucson, is in the same district as Wichita for her w/Kroger. The promotion she just accepted came with a requirement of a min. 1 year here in Wichita. Really works out well as they have expanding stores in Tucson planned for 1-2 years. For me the Coke bottler in Tucson is the same as here also, so I'd just need to put in for a transfer and of course wait for an opening. Having spent the last 20 years in distribution, warehouse & service, I should have ample opportunities.
Hence, the 10 more years of "labor". I've already decided that after 30 years I will be done with full time work! After that if I need to work, I'll do what I want to do and maybe enjoy my work for a change.

My wife & I started our lives together young & worked hard to provide for our boys. Now in our early 40's and the boys out of the house, we're ready for the next phase. Enjoying our lives, on our terms & doing what we WANT to.
Maybe spend the next 10 years in the workforce, but actually being able to afford to go on vacation.(something we regrettably were not able to do while raising the kids) Or putting away a small fortune in the bank, because I dont have that outrageous mortgage pymnt.
Many say living in such a small space is too cramped, too claustrophobic and too "dark". I will say this, we don't plan on being "holed-up" inside every waking minute. Our commitment is to lead a more active life. To get out & do the things we feel like doing.

Believe me, this all wasn't just a fly by night idea we conjured up. We've

Thanks to all for your kind & encouraging words! We really are making our dreams happen, one step at a time. Airstream folks are the BEST!

WOW talk about the planets in alignment for you guys.. sometime when plan and put energy into the plan the universe has a way to help make the plan come to pass and working for a large multi location companies help with the plan as well..

we are not a far along with our plan.. still have a daughter at home in HS and one in college both raising sophomores so we have a couple years left at home.

when our kids were younger we tried the tent camping thing a couple times but all the stuff you have to drag with you get old.. I was very knowledgeable about timeshare and bought my first unit in 1999.. I have bought and sold a couple units and now down to one but during that time we vacationed some 2-3 weeks a year staying in some real nice places from orlando to Manchester NH and in Sept going to Hawaii (big island) staying in a time share there as well.

The picture of you AS i was suprized that was a older unit.. it look like new..

again congrats and let the force be with you both..

where is the icon for envy ...

Carl, Raleigh NC
2-24-16 got a 2005 Classic 31D
Timeshare owner/user since '99 check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
Congratulations on your first big step towards the freedom I'm hoping to feel and achieve soon. If you're "crazy", I would say you are in good company around here :-)

My husband and I are staring the 10-month plan square in the face. Hoping to get news today about our AS purchase and then begin our decluttering of that which we call our house and lives. I started in the garage on Monday with the boxes I've moved more times than I have fingers, only to discover I didn't really need all those, fill-in-the-blank, items after all. Chuck it, sell it, give it away. That's the next step for us.

I would say we still have a good 10 years of good work/labor in us - but we've decided, for us, that we will try to parlay our talents while on the road. Not quite sure what that will look like - but with no kids at home and no one to support but ourselves - I know that our needs will be drastically cut...and I sure don't want to be a slave to "things" any more! We decided we want to enjoy our traveling years while we are still active, in good health and have our spontaneous wits about us!! (We'll keep you posted ;-) ).

Good luck on executing your plan - sounds like you're off to a great start!

AirKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Very exciting transition that you've made....and I think you have put all the right things in place to make this successful. Many of us (I think) dream about cutting the cords to our "stuff" and get in touch with what's really important. You folks have done it and I wish you all the best in this new part of your lives.
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB International
Brownsboro , Alabama
We are right behind you. Our sticks and bricks sold Tuesday! We close the 23rd. As luck would have it we are in the Smokies with the grandsons, and will have to go back to handle loose ends.
We have been living in our AS since January, but until the house sells it just does not feel official.
Best of luck on your new life and we hope to see you when we get to Arizona in our wanderings.
Stan & Ann

Dwellstream is offline   Reply With Quote