Old 12-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Perhaps the uncomfortable sofa in the 31' Classic can be replaced with two recliners. AS does offer recliners in at least one of their trailers, DH and I sat in them in a showroom just outside of Minneapolis. We are still wondering if we should do this in our 31' Classic '95. Just a suggestion, but it might be your answer. ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Perhaps the uncomfortable sofa in the 31' Classic can be replaced with two recliners. AS does offer recliners in at least one of their trailers, DH and I sat in them in a showroom just outside of Minneapolis. We are still wondering if we should do this in our 31' Classic '95. Just a suggestion, but it might be your answer. ~G
That couch in our 30' Classic Ltd was one uncomfortable beast! No way would I ever want to fulltime with it..instead, I'd consider replacing it with 2 large Ekornes recliners, and a slight remodel..something at least one and maybe more others have done.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
That couch in our 30' Classic Ltd was one uncomfortable beast! No way would I ever want to fulltime with it..instead, I'd consider replacing it with 2 large Ekornes recliners, and a slight remodel..something at least one and maybe more others have done.
We have two of these at home, any full timing or extended travel will require that they come along... wonder if removing the dinette in a 19' Bambi would accommodate them??

Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hi Donna, My husband and I have been fulltiming for almost eight months now. We went from a 3 bedroom 2 bath house to a 900 sqft apt and now 34' Airstream Classic Limited. Let me tell you the apt was 'painful' but the airstream has been perfect. We originally moved because my husband had a health scare and we were told that most likely he wouldn't be able to work i.e. 'no income'. In order to survive on my income alone we simpified dramatically. Well, to make a long story short my hus' health hasn't been any more than a tremendous scare. But I can't tell you how glad I am to have been pushed into the airstream life. We honestly feel like this is our forever home and have no desire to ever own a house again and pay property taxes-yuck. In fact, how we wish that we had been exposed to living like this earlier- We would never have fooled w houses or apts to begin with. We have made some mods that suit our lifestyle and I think that has helped. We are a young couple and we are already dreaming of all the places we want to travel with our silver bullet!
~Yevette
Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
First thing we did when we brought home our 34' was to stop at our shop and crowbar the couch 'OUT' and toss the chair. They weren't in good shape - at all. After we put in a seriously stuffed two cushion loveseat and a smaller - but comfortable recliner. Now, being fulltime - I see the need to lose the loveseat and go toward an L-shaped lounge or two recliners.......

If we entertain at all, it will be in the spring, summer, fall - and it will happen outside on the picnic table and on the patio - so, inside the AS will be a 'two person acomodation' only. Yes, we have an SOB too......a 22' Holiday Rambler that I set up as a 'quick traveler' and a guest house for my son when he comes home from Iraq.......and he loves it. To those who want to visit and prefer 'non-wheeled visiting' - there's a lot of nice hotels in Springfield )

Now, where did I put that 'thing-a-ma-jig'???

jan
Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hi Jan
That is exactly what we are looking for - an L shaped lounge. Do you know of any good resources for them?

Thanks
~Yevette
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
L-Shaped Lounge....

Yevette,

Before I thought about our remodel, I saw a couple at Colaw RV Salvage in Carthage, MO - one of my favorite 'haunts'........that would be the first place to look. I think they're one of, if not 'the', largest RV Salvages in the country..

My second option is a little different. I've seen some wonderful 'theatre chairs' - and they're basically two recliners, built together- and one of the configurations is a modified 'L'.......and they 'set' wonderfully. They had a tight 'L' and a more open 'L' (pardon my lack of terminology) - the problem is - they would have to be assembled in the coach - because they wouldn't fit through the door if they were assembled outside the coach. I really am interested in the theatre lounges.......now, they wouldn't fully recline - but they would be a really good option even partially reclining. I also thought about two oversized chairs with a shared ottoman.........I kind of like a chair to 'cuddle up' in.....

The livingroom chair project will take place AFTER the insullation project, the electrical service project, and the floor project..........so I figure it for summer

jan
Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Yevette -

We're almost in the same 'boat' - or should I say 'Yaght'?? We are almost 'out' of the big house - will be January 1st. My husband didn't have a health scare that was new - but the stress of the house was continually on our minds. It was a case of "the house needs this" - "the house needs that" and it would go on and on.

I grew up with these things (AS's) and I always wanted to live in ours fulltime. My parents really wanted to - but Daddy just couldn't give up the house. Mom would have in a New York minute. I'd been wanting to shed the house for several years but hubby would not hear of it - but finally (and I should have done it earlier) I sat down with pen and paper and showed him how much we'd be ahead by giving up the house and moving the AS to our business. He couldn't deny the figures......and he loves the 'non-drive' to work and home.

I'm ready to let younger people raising a family take over the big house. Houses are good for people raising a family. We just don't need the space - and we don't need all the furniture - and we don't need all the 'stuff'..........I'm looking for some open roads - and more fun - there's golf courses we haven't seen - and places I haven't been......and our dogs are great travelers.

Let me know what you find -

jan
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info. We have been debating having our sofa recovered - it really is an ingenious design with the drawer for storage, 2 side armrest storage compartments, and back rest that flips over and around to make a qn bed. I haven't seen any like it in another airstream or RV. Our dilemma is wanting a little more seating room that we can have a couple over to watch a movie. 4 is a tight squeeze - which keeps us coming back to the l-lounge.

Where did you see your theater chairs at?

~Yevette
Old 12-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Yevette, Thanks for the reply. We were thinking of the exact thing, starting out in an apartment then going to the AS but I think it would be a waste of time and we would still be "stuck" in one place where as the AS will put us anywhere we want to go! I think the only thing I would change is the couch, I love the ultra leather feel it's just not that comfortable for sitting on on a regular basis. I love the L shaped one in the international but there isn't room behind the dinette. What kind of mods did you make? We have discussed taking out one side of the dinette and moving the table and other side of dinette back to give more leg room and possibly putting in the L shaped couch. I know you are looking for the L shaped as well? Let us know what you find!

Jan, thanks for the info also. I hope we can find a comfy couch. I have no desire to go to two recliners!

Donna
Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
While you're all being so helpful. Anybody have any experience with Colonial in NJ? They are an option for us on our purchase.

Thanks,
Kelly & Donna
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
We bought our 08 31 Classic Limited at Colonial in May of 07. We have returned for maintenance and repairs and have been pleased overall. They allow us to overnight while repairs are being performed with electrical hookup. There is an Airstream Park down the coast towards Cape May not too far away that if you buy from Colonial will allow a shake-down period so if something happens you can return. Patrick and his wife Lauren are top salespeople, Tony runs the service department. We bought ours there after research and viewing units here in Fl. Once you are familiar with the models you can go on their website and see very good photos of the ones they have in stock. We negotiated over the phone with David the financial general manager and drove up after completing the sale. The prep service and amount of units they move out gives you confidence they really know the proper way to treat their customers. We are happy we decided on the 31. We travel with our 15 year old daughter. She sleeps on the flexsteel sofa. So what do we need? A place to put the garbage can, a washer and dryer, and a king size bed. Is it worth it go to the fifth wheel? No. We have been across country twice and the AS is solid. can I full time? The finances.... I need 6k a month just to keep us here in the house with all the other expenses. Maybe if we put the AS on a barge, that would give us more range for our business, yacht brokerage, then we would say good bye to So Fl.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Funny we are also in SF and in the Yacht Business. The 31 is looking pretty good to us as well and I think full timing is in our future. So far, Colonial looks the best to us.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Well, we have found "the one". L-shaped couch already in it, LED lighting everywhere! It may not have the closet space I was hoping for but you have to sacrifice some things!!! Will report back later when the deal is done!! Anyone wanna buy a house?!

Donna