Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
Talking Keep the Bugs Out!

Here's some advise and tips from a couple we meet who had full-timed in their 34' Airstream for 6 years! Ants will get into your trailer from any tiny openings they can (and will) find. Try to never park under trees with branches touching your trailer. Ants will climb onto it and all over it, looking for any access points. Tie narrow (1") strips of old terry-cloth towels, etc. around your hitch jack, stabilizer jacks and inside the wheels, around the axles. Spray (or saturate) these strips with some type of 'home defense' house foundation bug spray.
My own tip. One evening, we went to bed and a huge spider was on the wall by Donna's pillow. I went to get it and missed. It ran down the wall behind the mattress. I pulled the mattress up and watched it escape into a crack between the wall and the curved moulding that supports the under-bed plywood. The framing edge is not curved perfectly to follow the wall. There are some gaps a quarter inch wide! In my 2007 Bambi, that area goes down into the rear storage compartment, which is itself, not sealed tightly against insects. I stuffed the gaps with bronze wool (maybe not a requirement on interior applications), then covered all the rail edges with duck tape. There is also a large (1/2") gap inside the rear storage compartment and the wall to the center, which goes directly into the trailer next to the bed and not accessible from the inside. I taped this gap inside the rear compartment with duck tape. The gray water drain also enters this rear compartment from the shower. I intend to reach in and tape all around this circular opening where the pipe comes in. This should eliminate insect access from this area of the trailer. Hope this helps some folks keep the crawlies off your heads in the night....
Phantom
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1970 25' Tradewind
1989 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
cromwell , Kentucky
yuk bugs

Ants have been a big problem for us in the past. We usually rent a spot at the local campground from early spring to fall at a campground 30 miles from our home on a small lake. If you were to have dropped a potato chip it would be covered by aunts just a few minutes and this was inside the camper. We tried putting down baby powder, spraying completely around the camper with a ready mix insecticide and then with a stronger mix yourself kind. It was horrible until we bought the Terro Ant Bait. This stuff works, the ant come eat it and take it back to the nest. Don
Don Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Whenever we are camped on or near an obvious ant "problem" we use cookies - yes cookies. Oreos are great. Broken up and placed near the ant hill(s) and away from use areas draws them away from the trailer and also your activities. Obviously you have to keep their pantry full ....

We began this little system in 1992 during a tenting trip to Fort Wilderness when we unknowingly erected our tent on top of a huge colony - we eventually did make the discovery - after dark - when we returned to the campsite and started to get ready for bed. It was one of the more memorable moments in our marriage - my wife made it very clear that "critters" of any kind are clearly the husbands direct and sole responsibility ......

Anyway, we (I) have used this "biological control" system ever since - it saw us through the rest of our tenting days, then the pop-up years and continues to serve us well in our Airstream "era". It has never failed - most recently used this past fall at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival where we "lucked" into a spot directly on top of a bunch of hills - one row of Oreos protected 2 sites for the 3 days that we were there.

Thank God for Oreos.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
When we camp at the beach we sprinkle a powder cleanser like comet on the ground around anything touching the ground to the AS, like tires, elect. cords, hose, etc. the ants do a 180. We have done it for years, it might not be eco friendly-green anymore.
however it is still being done by many at the beach.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks for posting - good information.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Never had a problem with ants in my trailer. I did have a problem in a house with sugar ants aka piss ants. They form a line through the house looking for something sweet. They actually are called piss ants for a reson. A diabetic will have more sugar in their urine attracting the ants. They don't like to cross a line of borax.

When I used to do a lot of camping in upstate New York I found a effective method for dealing with mosquitos and black flies. They swarm in clouds so thick if you throw a punch at them you leave a hole. The clouds tend to circle around your head and follow you as you ramble about. Take a bottle of Aqua Velva and find some tenderfoot to tell what great bug repellant it makes. After they give themself a good slather casually walk by thus trasferring your cloud to them. Then you better run.

By the way Avon Skin So Soft really does work.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1976 Argosy 26
Fort Smith , Arkansas
RangerJay,

You Oreo cookies method sounds good to me. Ants are amazing creatures and feeding them Oreos sounds like the most friendly way to keep them out. Thanks for the tip which I will be using. Now, if I can just keep myself from eating the Oreos.
Cathy Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
ARTHUR , Illinois
While parked in N. Texas at a "campground" ( I hate "campgrounds"!) I picked up some Little Black Ants.

If you Google "Little Black Ants", you'll discover they're a tough and cunning pest to handle.

While setting up, I sprayed the usual points of entry with household, indoor/outdoor spray as I usually do, but it was raining every day and I supposed would wash off and let the ants enter. Later I found out that those products wouldn't work on these critters anyhow. Anyhow, once I discovered them inside, I tried everything I had on them to no avail. I went back to Illinois and I still had them! (in fact, I discovered that I had two colonies onboard) That's when I decided they must have a nest inside my RV. So I resorted to the internet. I found that a product called Terro would take care of them. And it did.

Just set a little bait station out with a couple drops of Terro whenever you see a 'scout' ant so that the 'scout' ant can't miss it. Don't kill the 'scout' ant! Let him discover the bait and return to the colony with the information. Then, after the colony returns to feed let them, all you need to do is make sure there's enough Terro available for them to eat and to carry back to the colony. In 24-36 hours, the colony will no longer be a problem.

Terro also makes outdoor products. I've not tried them, but from the way liquid Terro worked, I'd bet they also work well. Terro is available at most hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot, et al.
beerrun'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Anyone have a tip for cock-a-roaches? I entered Opehlia a couple nights ago and witnessed a HUGE mother )$#(@! on the living room floor. About a month ago I found one in the sink. After my second sighting though, I am seriously grossed-out. I have been considering putting off a bug-bomb. Any problem with that??? Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We've used dryer sheets scattered throughout with good success to date. They make the closets, cabinets and storage areas smell nice too. While not particularly eco friendly, when camped for extended periods we scatter insect granules around the trailer in a protective perimeter.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Florida is famous for roaches our best way out was to put boric acid powder down (they must walk through it) in all the areas where they are hanging out...this will get rid of them after awhile...but if they infest you are going to see one or two every once in awhile...I guess they too are aware of the high quality airstreams provide and maybe they ant to 'see the world' too! lol
Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...as a last note, keep food particles and water sources cleaned up...and I mean real good too.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

ants in the water tank vent

While attempting to clear a black ant infestation I found large numbers in the joint between the AC unit and the roof, amongst other places, but I also found some under the water tank filler flap. When I went to squidge them with a finger, I distinctly heard a squeak of "incoming", and the ants all dived down the air vent hole. I was using the tank water at the time, so the plastic vent plug was disconnected. What the ants had failed to realise was that I had fitted a pump bypass system to be able to fill the water tank without dragging a hose round to the intake. I set the bypass, and filled the tank to the brim and let it overflow. I then carefully half screwed the cap back on with the tank still filling. (Careful not to bulge the tank with too much pressure) The water shot out of the vent hole, together with some surprised looking ants. When they hit the ground they raised their arms in surrender, but I squished them anyway. I know I should feel ashamed. Here's a picture of the water intake, showing the air vent hole to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02103.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	76367  
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Black Widow Spider

Yesterday we were getting ready to pull out of Huntington Beach State Park (coastal SC) after a few day's stay. One of the last few things to do was to pull the shore power. I opened the flap on the power pole that protects the breakers and plugs to disconnect my power line. As I put my hand on the plug for a pull I notice a LARGE black spider inside the box above my hand. She became highly agitated--moving about and such--my hand came out of there in a large hurry!! She was a black widow with the telltale orange hourglass on her underside. She didn't get me, thankfully.

I normally leave outside spiders alone because they do so much good work but had to get the ant spray and exterminate this one. Her well hidden presence in that box almost caused me some large trouble and I certainly wouldn't want the next camper in that spot to get bitten by her. I suppose these power boxes are an ideal place for some insects--warm and dry.

Just something to keep in mind when you are out and about--have a good look inside before you put your hand in there. I surely will in the future.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
For ants at home I used the following recipe which works 100% of the time for our sweet loving ants :

2 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
2 TBS Boric Acid (Borax)

In my case I don't have any Boric Acid but used Timbor a commercial borate based termite control product that looks like powered sugar or corn starch. I mix the above items and warm in a pot over the fire to ensure the sugar is COMPLETELY dissolved. After cooking, let completely cool and store unused portion in a tightly lidded (and appropriately marked) container (if you leave it to evaporate too long, the sugar to water ratio changes and the ants wont touch it -- very important!) -- I keep ours in an old Gatorade bottle for future use. For application, just dab some with a cotton ball and place in the path of the ants. They will frequently increase in numbers (sometimes swarming) as they come to consume the liquid and take it back to the nest. 99.99% of the time the ants are completely gone within <24 hours -- COMPLETELY! This one treatment works for about 2-3 months typically before another round needs to be done. I just did it earlier this week in our kitchen! This one recipe will likely last you all year as it makes tons and the ants eat very little. I also put this outside in a small shallow bowl and put some on the outside of the bowl (and a little on the ground) to tempt their sweet tooth -- works every time for us.
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
would putting down a mat of fiberglass insulation on the ground contact points deter ants?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Anyone have a tip for cock-a-roaches? I entered Opehlia a couple nights ago and witnessed a HUGE mother )$#(@! on the living room floor. About a month ago I found one in the sink. After my second sighting though, I am seriously grossed-out. I have been considering putting off a bug-bomb. Any problem with that??? Laura
Bug bomb in closed space would be last ditch effort, I would only
do it if I was going to store unit for a long time and would have a lot of open time to air our before using. All items it comes in contact with would have to be washed.
30 yrs ago not to far from you, S. of Melborne, Long Point Park, we parked next to a palm tree, middle of night DW screamed something bit me, palmetto bug. went outside with flashlight and the palm tree was covered with them. Moved away from branches touching camper, bug sprayed wheel wells to eliminate.
We have used roach motels by decon, work even if they are palmettos
After I bought present AS I checked all opening on bottom and caulked, foamed, taped, opened vent covers to make sure screens in place. Now keep mothballs in net bag hanging under gas tank and near motor for mice and squirrels.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
We have used roach motels by decon, work even if they are palmettos.
That is because Palmetto Bug is just a nicer sounding name for cockroach.

From Wikipedia - "The American cockroach (Periplaneta americana), also known as the Palmetto Bug or Waterbug,"

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
found by mistake

I know most of the posts here are dealing with how to keep ants out of your airstream, but I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents:
While camping this past weekend, we found sugar ants in our home. The only thing I had with me remotely close to bug spray was 409. When sprayed with this, they died immediately! As an added plus, we just wiped up the dead ants and cleaned in the same swipe!
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #20
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by holder310 View Post
I know most of the posts here are dealing with how to keep ants out of your airstream, but I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents:
While camping this past weekend, we found sugar ants in our home. The only thing I had with me remotely close to bug spray was 409. When sprayed with this, they died immediately! As an added plus, we just wiped up the dead ants and cleaned in the same swipe!
However, while this does work, it does not keep more ants from coming in the same place where the dead ones were going (I used to use window cleaner for this purpose but others would just follow the same path after the dead ones were wiped up -- ugg!).. This is why I use a bait solution that they take back to the nest to kill the nest or at least seriously hurt it for some period of time -- sure the results aren't immediate but they're 99.9% of the time gone in <24 hours and will stay gone usually for months -- at least for me (YMMV!). I recently used it to get rid of some ants in a rental house garage that had a trail of ants for >10 years.. In two applications the ants were completely gone..
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote