Old 02-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
Somewhere between NY & LA
Just added some new photos

Hello Everyone,

Continuing my swing through Texas, I spent a week at Padre Island National Seashore, then a week at Big Bend National Park. Both were spectacular in different ways.

Big Bend is well worth the trouble to get there.

I'm in El Paso now. Gonna buy some cowboy boots!

I hope you enjoy the pictures...any suggestions on a destination West of here?

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at:
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri

Beautiful photos. Made my day a little more relaxing. West? Consider north? Mesa Verde, Colorado and the Colorado River Road outside of Moab, Utah. On second thought maybe you'd be better to do those in well.

Not knowing enough to be afraid... (I know more than I did, but I did it anyway!)

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Post Pics

Awesome pictures! Makes me want to hook up and pull out!
Kathy, Tommy, & Crew, Chattanooga, TN
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Jim Rogers
Jonesboro , Arkansas
we loved Rockhound State Park in Deming, can even take home several pounds of Agate rocks each day...and watching stars come out at night is great....nice quiet, clean campground.....doesn't cost much either...
jimrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn

Looks like your enjoying your self to much! Great pics! Envy your solitude.
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
Cartoon Character
2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Aaaahhh! The Desert Man smokes cigars ... atta boy!
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
Don't pass up the South East corner of New Mexico. You will be on the eastern edge of the Sonoran Desert. There are some very interesting things inside the wide open spaces there. I suggest you double back to Carlsbad and see the Caverns. You can set up camp at Whites City, which is 10 min from the Cavern entrance. If you get to the park just as it opens, you may be able to hop on the elevator before any others and find that you are the only one in the Cavern - a fun thing! I see from your pics you are not afraid of snow. If you travel west from Artesia and travel down the deserted two lane, its hard to imaging yourself reaching an Alpine climate anytime soon - but you'll reach Cloudcroft, a friendly mountain town within a couple of hours. Highs and Lows in Cloudcroft are 30's and 20's this weekend. It has a great bar (hard to miss) and the scenery through the Hondo Valley is postcard perfect. And its on the way the White Sands National Monument, the Gypsum desert where the Atomic Age got its start. If you want to wander off the southern route for a while, head up to Albuquerque and Santa Fe. If you do, be sure to take in Bosque Del Apache on the way. Its a refuge for about a thousand bird species; you'll probably see a bald eagle or two. And just beyond the Bosque is the Owl Bar in San Antonio - the very best green chile cheeseburger on the planet. On your way back down south take a right at Socorro and head west on Rt 60. Stop at the Very Large Array, the radio telescope seen in the background of the movie "Contact". West of the VLA is the norther edge of the Gila Wilderness. Magdalena is a former mining town. You can get a great piece of pie in Pie Town and see the very, very large Wester Diamond Back rattle snake hide stretched out above the soda fountain counter at the General Store in Datil. The elevation along this route is 6000 to 10000 ft and the road is twisty. If that is an internet connection I see next to your dash, let it be your early warning system. Rt 60 will take you into an interesting part of Arizona. While you are in New Mexico you should visit a restaurant that serves a "New Mexican" menu. The waitress will ask Red or Green. Tell her you want it "Christmas".
...happiest when I hang my hat on the wind...
pahadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #8

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I are in the beginning planning stages of a Southern swing from Virginia this spring, with Big Bend as our return pivot point. Glad to hear of your glowing reference. Problem is, this discussion is going to make it very hard to actually turn for home when the time comes.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
Arivaca, AZ

I would suggest Tombstone and Bisbee. After that go hiwy 82 over to Nogales, up I-19 to MP 48 to the Arivaca exit. Without the trailer you can make a loop. To Arivaca, small town, National Wildlife Reserve there, then there is a road (4x4 recomended) that cuts thru the Coronado National forest and comes out back on Hiway 19, just north of Nogales. Most maps do not show this road, anyone in Arivaca can tell you about it............ We did it two years ago, we could have made it that day with 2x2, but was glad I had the 4x4 and the clearence. It is a good day trip.............

Happy travels

jmac is offline   Reply With Quote