Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
Joys of full-timing in Canada

I have my A/S a couple feet off the ground, and can store a few outdoor things there. Last week, when I went outside, I discovered one of my clean, empty rubber-maid containers across the street and at the edge of the bush. At first, for one brief moment, I thought kids? But, then quickly realized some critter got a hold of it. Several bite marks are around the bin and lid. Someone suggested raccoons, but raccoons don't have teeth that big.

Yup, a bear. Now, I'm quite careful about what I put outside. And, very careful about anything food related. This was a perfectly clean, never had food, empty, bright teal-colored rubber container. So, now what? Does this mean bears like pretty, empty containers for their winter stash?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Lucky thing it did not decide to attempt to find a way in! Odd it went after a clean bin. I've had my gas grill dragged off, right in front of me! Sounds like this could be an on going story! Good Luck

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
My sister lives near Garden Bay and just last week had a bear deposit the biggest mud pie I've ever seen on her front lawn (she took a photo)!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Where are you located? Did you hear any noises? Bet it was a real surprise. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

You are innocent on this one.

But bears can smell the scent of a human on food, and thus begin to associate the smell of humans with food. Then there is a real problem.
That is one reason why it is illegal to bait for bear. I would suggest
reading up on bear encounters. Maybe " mark " your turf by wee weeing
around the perimeter of your camp site. I have 24 apple trees , 4 pear trees, a million grapes and rasberries. The bears love to get drunk on the rotten fruit. It is useless for me to try to discourage them from sharing
the land. Ya wanna talk about " mud pies " ?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidless View Post
Does this mean bears like pretty, empty containers for their winter stash?
Bears are inherently curious and will get into just about anything. Particularly if the the item has any smell whatsoever, or is linked in anyway in their experience with food. Be very glad the bear was not able to obtain food during its visit, the outcome would not have been good for either the bear, or you.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Have had a bit of experience with bears for over 30 years. Last place I lived there was a patch of thick ivy on my front lawn. Very comfy. The bear would bring other people's garbage to my place to sit and sort and feast. I've been super careful, but so true, once a bear is 'peoplized' that's it. So maybe I won't plant an herb pot outside my door. But, I really do want a tiny BBQ. Guess I gotta find a spot to anchor to my trailer or store elsewhere?

Don't know about the 'marking my territory'. Think I might get arrested.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
A couple of weeks ago at Yosemite NP we were awakened at 0300 not by a bear, but by a park ranger admonishing us not to keep empty coolers in the truck, made me store them in the "bear box". Seems they (bears) recognise the color and shape of the coolers and want to investigate them, even if they are inside the truck, and will do what it takes to see whats inside, even if its nothing. Thats a new one on me as I have many nights backpacking in bear country and thought I had the bases covered when it came to food storage (All the food, and smelly stuff in the bear box)
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since it's time for bear stories…

In 2002 we were driving south on the Cassier Hwy (northern BC). It goes through beautiful country and there's not much traffic. We passed a bear trotting along, also going south. About two miles down the road was a couple. They had parked, gotten out their table and chairs and were having a picnic. Now we knew where the bear was going (they have an incredible sense of smell) and were laughing so much we forgot to stop and warn those picnickers. We've always wondered just what happened.

I know bears have gotten good at tearing the doors off of cars and truck. Any stories of them opening Airstream doors?

Gene
Old 12-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
So, it's reaching, or dropping I mean down to 17degrees(F) tonight. I've skirted in with 1in blue foam and 2 layers of tarp. I'll put up pic's. But, gotta say, I'm freezing. I've opened all the doors to the water lines, and of course, that only makes it more freezing. Yesterday one of my heaters went, so bought a new one, but it's rather useless. Off to get a new one tomorrow. Hope my pipes are protected enough.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
So, it's reaching, or dropping I mean down to 17degrees(F) tonight. I've skirted in with 1in blue foam and 2 layers of tarp. I'll put up pic's. But, gotta say, I'm freezing. I've opened all the doors to the water lines, and of course, that only makes it more freezing. Yesterday one of my heaters went, so bought a new one, but it's rather useless. Off to get a new one tomorrow. Hope my pipes are protected enough.
This sudden burst of cold we have is not pleasant. I have mine parked under a lean-to and put an oil filled heater in it that has kept it quite warm. If we were to be staying in it I'd add a small catalytic heater with tip over shut off that has a fan to move the warmth around fully. But given it is just to keep the inside warm while stored for the season and in case of loss of house power it is working for us. Good luck with your heater search. I find I can't ever get warm enough when the weather is like this no matter if I'm in the house or where ever.

Barry
Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
So, it's reaching, or dropping I mean down to 17degrees(F) tonight.
Ummm...it was -17 here last night/early morning. Record breaking low cold...hope it doesn't stick around for long or it's a sign of the winter ahead of us. I think it would be pretty tough to stay comfortable in those kinda temps - no matter what kind of heater/insulation you have.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Got my second heater. It's a small 1500watt ceramic heater. I thought I was fine. Toes weren't even cold. But, looks like I may have frozen pipes. No water coming out of any bathroom pipes --sink, or tub, or toilet, even though kitchen taps are fine. But, I've already mentioned that in another thread. "Heat's on...can pipes be frozen", so don't want to double-talk... just ,, it is another joy of full-timing in Canada.

Mind you, it looks like the cold is hitting almost everyone.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just over in North Vancouver and am also living in mine. The furnace is cycling almost constantly, but it keeps the trailer nice and warm. I keep the bathroom faucet running at a trickle to keep the water line from freezing. I'm not too worried about the water lines running to the kitchen, as they run alongside the heating duct and stay warm. The only downside is that I'm going through a 30 pound cylindar of propane in about 3 days. I think I'm going to call one of the propane suppliers about renting a bulk cylinder for the winter. I also have to stress to all the trades working on my house that they cannot unplug my electricity or mess with the water lines, or the battery will drain, the furnace will shut off and pipes will freeze. Well, at least I have a plumber on site!

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote