Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Is there such a thing as "hybrid" full-timing?

My wife and I are thinking about going full-time, but only sort of for the time being.

We're mulling around the idea of selling our house and buying some land outside town to move to. Our plan then would be to build a shop big enough to park a trailer (or two to work one over) for when we aren't on the road and also have maybe an apartment with laundry facilities a "real" bathroom and maybe a couple bedrooms for the kids/friends to visit. We could then live in the trailer in the shop and have our own clubhouse/bath house across the concrete.

Our kids will be college age - and hopefully out of the house - in six or so years and we tease them about having to find us once they're gone.

Anyone out there doing this? Pointers? Ideas? I'm pretty sure our families will think we're absolutely nuts when they hear our plan.....
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We love the idea. We have often thought of doing something similar. We haven't pursued it because our set-up is pretty good now. Several years ago, we spent a few days at the North Texas Airstream Community in Hillsboro, Texas. They have large sheds for your Airstream with and attached living quarters section. It seems to be a pretty nice setup, and really peaked our interest.

Take a look at their website at www.ntaci.com or go visit and take a look around. It's a pretty nice setup.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sounds like you want a small house with a large garage. First step would be to determine where you want to buy your land and speak to the authority having jurisdiction to find out if what you want to build is permitted. I'd do this before you spend a dime. Some municipalities are more restrictive than others, so visit the building department (or whatever agency gives out building permits) and talk to them about what you'd like to do. As for the design, there are loads of options to achieve what you are proposing and the only limiting factor would be how much you want to spend.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We love the idea. We have often thought of doing something similar. We haven't pursued it because our set-up is pretty good now. Several years ago, we spent a few days at the North Texas Airstream Community in Hillsboro, Texas. They have large sheds for your Airstream with and attached living quarters section. It seems to be a pretty nice setup, and really peaked our interest.

Take a look at their website at www.ntaci.com or go visit and take a look around. It's a pretty nice setup.

Brian
We have seen these same setups in Titusville, Florida. The garage for the RV is attached and has full hookups within. Seem to be very popular there.

This same location has sites that have slabs and hookups, with a small building on them with laundry and a full bathroom.

So, Matt, why couldn't you do just what you want to do, is the question. You could.

All you really, really need is what you, individually and personally, want and need.

Maggie
Old 10-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Matt,

I've seen posts here from several members who have done, more or less, what you are describing. I read them with envy.

I don't know where to direct you but I'm sure some other member(s) can help find the thread(s).

Another possibility would be to find an old industrial or agricultural building in an acceptable area and retrofit that.

One of the sweetest examples of this that I've personally seen is that of Ontario member SHACKSMAN. Look him up on the Forum; I think that his avatar pictures his spread.

He and his wife live atop an old factory or workshop on the the banks of the Avon river near Stratford, Ontario. His 5 or 6 Airstreams are downstairs and there is a very nice, large living quarters above, complete with giant walkout deck overlooking the river and its rural surrounds.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Matt,

I've seen posts here from several members who have done, more or less, what you are describing. I read them with envy.

I don't know where to direct you but I'm sure some other member(s) can help find the thread(s).

Another possibility would be to find an old industrial or agricultural building in an acceptable area and retrofit that.

One of the sweetest examples of this that I've personally seen is that of Ontario member SHACKSMAN. Look him up on the Forum; I think that his avatar pictures his spread.

He and his wife live atop an old factory or workshop on the the banks of the Avon river near Stratford, Ontario. His 5 or 6 Airstreams are downstairs and there is a very nice, large living quarters above, complete with giant walkout deck overlooking the river and its rural surrounds.

Sergei
OMG, this just sounds so, so idyllic.

Brings the thought of a fairly recent thread about tiny, tiny living, and people making terrific, small homes out of huge storage/shipping containers.

The draw for these, as I recall, was that they are sturdy, airtight, and ready to finish as they are. Would be simple enough for a clever fellow to put a couple of these together for comfortable living quarters on their own land.

Maggie
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
We're thinking of doing something similar re: shipping containers, our Airstream, and perahps... down the road, a large timber frame barn as the "great room" that connects the shipping containers.

If arranged into a sort of courtyard with wings extending from each side of the barn, and several glass sliding doors facing each other... it could create the feeling of a mini-compound, with a guest wing, private quarters for us, and perhaps an open-plan kitchen/living area in the barn itself. Daydreaming sure is fun!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Haven't thought about shipping containers......

I am inspired by a local fellow who has done well manufacturing frozen drink machines. He has a facility just south of town where he manufactures his products and next door he has built a 100' by 100' shop. We had the privilege of attending a friends 25th or so anniversary party inside and it did plant a seed, honestly I never thought my wife would entertain the idea. He's got a roll up door and a man door in the NW corner of the building. The N side is lined up with his car collection and the W end has his workbench, toolboxes and his lift for maintenance. There is a roll up door on the E side of the building where he can come in with his larger toys and the SE corner has his 2000 sq ft house. Just to round things out he's got a bar in the SW corner complete with taps and some frozen drink machines of course.

I did do a little research and found the local brick manufacturers old location is still for sale. Hmm. 14 acres, large high ceiling barn, very large lower shed for brick drying I assume and a 1000 or 1200 sq ft (brick of course) office building. Unfortunately it isn't overlooking a great view, but it is a different option I hadn't thought of to repurpose existing commercial property...
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I like the idea, but would pursue a country setting already somewhat setup, large barn with enough land to call it a farm, plant trees and get the agricultural status for taxes and zoning. The right setup and you could even let someone else do the farming while you would have complete access for your temporary stays. This would also met the new rules of having a permanent address to get passports, licenses and mail.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
We're thinking of doing something similar re: shipping containers, our Airstream, and perahps... down the road, a large timber frame barn as the "great room" that connects the shipping containers.

If arranged into a sort of courtyard with wings extending from each side of the barn, and several glass sliding doors facing each other... it could create the feeling of a mini-compound, with a guest wing, private quarters for us, and perhaps an open-plan kitchen/living area in the barn itself. Daydreaming sure is fun!
This is a basic setup using 2 20' containers. The other photo is our drive through AS hanger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-012S (2) (2).JPG
Views:	255
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	171553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02578.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	171555  

Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
This is a basic setup using 2 20' containers.
Lovely!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
Lafayette , Louisiana
I like the idea, have thought about it myself. Less maintenance on the house, more time to enjoy your toys. Have talked to several people lately with the same idea. Brick yard sounds like it could be really cool, you could open your own park!
srmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The brick yard does sound really cool.

Bricks, history, and re-purposing-------what could be better.

Would be worth a real good look. And, we want pictures and to be kept updated on this adventure.

Maggie
Old 03-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Recently visiting in Texas we were introduced to new (to us) term, barndominiums. A means of skirting by-laws or regs limiting how you can build for or around living in your rv in some zoning districts.

Term is maybe self-explanatory, you build a not so big barn with living unit above. Later you might finish any or none of the space below. Or not. The enclosed space below is sufficient for tow vehicle, rv, and other toys or vehicles. Pretty sweet set up for us, some day.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Matt,

Sergei
Got any recommended Key words?

I'm thinking of doing this and am interested in seeing what's been done.
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote