Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Burlington , Vermont
Is it for me?

I am a 22yo recent college grad and I have always loved airstreams and wanted to live in one full-time, thinking a vintage model that needs interior and light exterior restoration. I have some money saved up from having worked for ever.

I transition between seasonal summer work & seasonal winter work every year and I am thinking of getting an AS to live in full time as an alternative to paying rent at my seasonal job locations. This way I won't have to continously move in and out. I would have to also sell my Honda element and get a tow vehicle. I would love to do a full interior re-haul. FYI I have no real financial obligations . . .

Is this a bad idea? Is this just going to be a bottomless money pit? Not feasible for a poor recent grad due to unforeseen costs?

I'd appreciate any insight/thoughts/opinions
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
We have quiet a few seasonals who go from here to New England [waiters & waitress],I`ve know a few who pulled trailers,problem here is the lot rent isn`t cheap in season,1 couple took out annual rentals here and Cape Cod,they stay 6 months each place.
My advice would be buy the nicest one you can afford and go for it. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I think it's a really neat idea - you'd feel a bit like a human turtle, carrying everything in your little pod from one home to the next.

If budget constraints are a big concern, Craigslist may be your friend for this one. And don't forget to avail yourself of the really nice people who have listed themselves on the right-hand side of the "portal" page. If you get serious about one, somebody is bound to be able to help you inspect it for telltale problems.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Burlington , Vermont
how hard is it to find land owners willing to rent / allow you to park on their property?

Are you mostly restricted to RV parks or is what I described above a possibility?
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You will never be any younger than you are right now. Go ahead and live it up. Worst that can happen, you have some fun and decide it isn't for you.

There is always a demand for a good Airstream trailer so even if you don't like it, you can sell it and get your money back.

The downside is so small, and the possible fun and adventure so great, there is no reason to hesitate.

Would hate to see you years from now wistfully thinking about the summer you almost went travelling and regretting you didn't go when you had the chance.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We live in a spot where I am trading out lot rent and utilities for my work-and they are allowing me space to jump sideways and do my other jobs that are remote. Just the other day there was a post from a fellow on here that was ready to sell his tow truck AND would throw in the airstream he had for free. Did you see that one?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I found a deal just like the one above, '01 Tundra w/hitch/bars, and '69 Safari for $10K so it can be done... I wish I had discovered Airstreaming at your age, 'though I was usually near-broke, it woulda been great fun and an unmatched sense of freedom... try to find the cleanest, best-kept 19-to 25 footer you can afford and a decent truck...go for it~!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
MORA... “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Most things have a risk of becoming a "money pit", just ask my wife, she thinks I am. ;>)

Good luck,

Dan
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Is it for me?

Greetings MORA!

Welcome to the Forums!

Another suggestion to go for it! I was in your position 30 years ago and had the opportunity to buy the Overlander that I now own for $3,000. The energy crisis was still a fresh memory, and I was convinced by relatives that it would be too risky to travel by RV. For the next 15 years, I dreamed of pulling an Airstream to all of the wonderful vacation destinations less than a day's drive from where I was living. Finally in 1995, I decided to purchase an Airstream and actually (totally be accident) purchased the same Overlander that I had considered purchasing 15 years earlier - - only the best price that I could negotiate was $5,000. I still have that Overlander today, and it would be my last asset to be sold as it is my escape pod. Had I had the strength of conviction 30 years ago, I could have had another 15 years of memories in my Overlander.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Just do it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1644.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	103921  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings MORA!

Welcome to the Forums!

Another suggestion to go for it! I was in your position 30 years ago and had the opportunity to buy the Overlander that I now own for $3,000. The energy crisis was still a fresh memory, and I was convinced by relatives that it would be too risky to travel by RV. For the next 15 years, I dreamed of pulling an Airstream to all of the wonderful vacation destinations less than a day's drive from where I was living. Finally in 1995, I decided to purchase an Airstream and actually (totally be accident) purchased the same Overlander that I had considered purchasing 15 years earlier - - only the best price that I could negotiate was $5,000. I still have that Overlander today, and it would be my last asset to be sold as it is my escape pod. Had I had the strength of conviction 30 years ago, I could have had another 15 years of memories in my Overlander.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Kevin.... THAT is a really cool story. Funny how life is. Though we take different roads to get there, many of us end up in the same place.

Too bad your Overlander can't talk.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You will be mostly confined to RV parks because of Health Dept. rules (water and sanitation). You may find someone that will let you barter as was described above, but I don't think zoning will allow in most places. Good luck and go for it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Is it for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
Kevin.... THAT is a really cool story. Funny how life is. Though we take different roads to get there, many of us end up in the same place.

Too bad your Overlander can't talk.
The Overlander could tell of a busy life. It began life as a special-order coach for friends of my family. They kept the coach even after they purchased another new Airstream in 1975 because it meant so much to them. In 1980, the owners retired from traveling and sold both Airstreams and their tow vehicle. They offered the Overlander to me at a special price because they new how much I liked the coach - - and it held a special memory for me too as it was the first RV that I went camping in as a five year old in 1964.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote