Old 09-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Is Fulltiming all it's cracked up to be ????

Well, you'll see thousands of posts from many who have been doing it for years, and love it.

Those happy Fulltimers, post youtube videos, post on forums, and blog, about how great it is.

I'm just thinking that the folks who tried it, and were miserable, lonely, struggled to find places to park, woken in the middle of the night by local police, and suffered financially, don't publish their failures.

I'll be retiring soon, and won't want to fork over five figure real estate taxes anymore. Don't know how much longer I want to deal with house and yard maintenance. Not thrilled about Condo Prison.

Let's hear from people who didn't like it.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Fulltiming has really been romanticized .

I just saw a few videos, with Fulltimers, criticizing home owners, for being materialistic, and being sheep who buy into advertising tricking them into thinking that they need all of this " stuff ".

I just think that people who are contemplating the full time lifestyle, should have a more balanced view of what it's all about, and how much it costs.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
ANYTHING has its downsides. Decisions like that are personal. The idea that someone criticize another for their decision is unwarranted. I am preparing for retirement and face the same things most face- more time, less money and freedom. I know that initially I will have a home and Airstream; however, I often consider just one abode, the one on wheels since it is just me that may have to be a different RV in the future if I carried it beyond part time. I enjoy time alone but I am not sure to what degree AND I think about safety. Beyond that I believe that full-time RV living is a worthy option.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
My wife and I just retired. Neither of us wants to full time. I like my house and my AS, and I like the balence between the two. I'm pretty sure in the next few years we will take some extended trips, Banff, the East coast, New Orleans, but living in a 27 ft trailer forever is not for me.

Mike
Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
We used our AS more this year than in previous 10 years during the summer and winter months. Longest trip was 8 days, before a 2 day break and laundry stop at our cabin in MT, then we went back out for another 5 days to Glacier. The 25' works for us, but not sure we could go full time yet. We did use "Don Wrights Guide to Free Campgrounds", as we found camping "free" in Borrego Springs earlier in the year opened up new adventures and helped guide our routes from CA to MT through OR, WA, and ID., while keeping costs down. We were surprised at all the new places we found many right on or next to rivers and lakes. I think if you have a few places where you can stop, refresh, reload, while sleeping in a larger bed a couple nights every now and then would make it easier; at least for us. We plan to try longer stretch to Alaska next summer for 6 weeks, but will still use our place in MT as starting place. I know many go full time but I like having the option of a place to break it up.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We spend six months a year in our Airstream traveling and spending the winter months in the southern states. We love it, try to travel widely on different routes each year and see the country. A few months each year we meet meet up with fellow Snow Chickens from about North America at a large RV resort with plenty of amenities and community life and have the time of our lives. They have become some of our best friends. But there is more.

In the Spring we are anxious to get home, our own land, family, my workshop and projects (tore down the old house last year and building a new one), her hobbies, buddies stopping by, gardening, fishing, swimming, biking and going for walks and seeing friends. We could never give it up to live in an RV year round, the combination is terrific.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Subscribing
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Dkottum,
"Snow Chickens". . I love it. Thanks for a thoughtful response. That about sums it up for us if you add in grandchildren...Al

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. Http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at http://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
One of the reasons that I full time is the search for a community to live when my personal "wheels" fall off. Other retirees I know cashed out of Ca. and bought the "forever" retirement home, but found out that weather or neighbors fouled that idea, and wanted to sell.

The one biggest thing I miss is home grown RIPE tomatoes.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My wife and I are considering retiring in our AS, but I don't think I could live there. We recently downsized from a huge home to a condo, and that was an experience. I'm ok with condo size living space, but AS living space? I doubt it. I can stay a week in my AS with no issues. Perhaps when we are retired I'll change my mind. But having a 70" TV and an office all to myself seem like non-negotiable items at this point.

You are right, people will likely not publicize their "failures". So you are right in seeking out alternative view points. Good luck in you search.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
It is not for everyone. Just as retirement is a struggle for some and not others. Personally, full time in an AS, seems crazy. No place to store the other toys. But, it somewhat depends on your toys .... a fly rod, back pack, and camera will fit just fine. What is important is to understand what full timing is with respect to who you are. The rest is just a set of innovative solutions that meet your objectives.

The one thing full timing is not, is a perfect solution to all your problems. The boat folks have a perfect description. They say cruising is doing a series of maintenance projects, usually with the wrong tools, in exotic places under less than ideal conditions. Folks still do it, because going places is a dream for many, but they leave the dock with their eyes and wallets open or soon meet with distressing results.

To be blunt - guys often want to full time in an RV, boat, or mountain cabin. Ladies often want a home base, even if they do enjoy travel. Had an aunt who lived in a trailer her whole adult life. She was exceedingly happy to live the last couple of years of her life in a modest little brick house.

Good luck with your research. Know thy self. Pat
Old 09-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
San Diego , California
Full-timing since April

So far we love the lifestyle of being on the road, staying a week or two some place to really get to know it.

We have been married 41 years, so we know what to expect from each other and living in our Airstream is a dream for us.

We are blogging why we are doing this, what we expect, how we got rid of all our possessions, and the travel adventures at www.LivingInBeauty.net

We have posted blogs about tire blowouts and black water tank failures, so we are trying to be honest about the lifestyle.
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Anacortes WA , Oregon
These days I have noticed a lot of people who have lived in the same RV park for two or three years refer to themselves as "full timing" (and subsequently cheaper than what they were doing in sticks & bricks). I don't think of that as full timing. I think of that as trailer park living. There is a distinction there.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Yes there is a BIG DISTINCTION.
In the almost three years that I've had my first RV, a classic 345.
My time has been split between time on the road exploring new areas and traveling to old favorites. With periods staying in a trailer park in Chino Valley Az, to be near family and aging mom.

The personalities and interactions could not be more different.
On the road and in parks I find folks to he happy and into sharing their adventures, fun stories, travel tips etc. very up spirited

Here in the trailer park. Folks are living in close quarters long term with little options. They're are not out enjoying themselves having travels, or making choices about what to do next for fun, etc. they are trying to live within their limited means. Not having all that much fun.

I would clearly prefer to be traveling with the fun loving RV crew full time.
But finances and family needs do keep me based here for now.

I do admire those that are "out there doing it". On limited budgets and still making it an enjoyable lifestyle, by picking up work along the way.

As the saying goes, you make your bed, now lay in it

Cheers Richard