Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #71
Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
Haha, I have been thinking a lot about it and doing a lot of research. Mostly watching the video blogs of full timers, but now finding their written blogging pages and going through that. And now I'm here. Looking forward to being part of the community.

Just G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Of course it isn't, but we can live with that

Ah, the downsides full-time RVing. We haven’t gone full-timing yet, but we’ve been leaning heavily in that direction for a couple of years. Even after a 3 week trip last year, and a 5 week trip this year in a 31’ aluminum tent with electricity. (And new axles, brakes and tires.) To make it as much like a traveling circus as possible, we included 5 dogs and 4 rabbits this year. (Last year it was just the dogs.) On both trips, nothing ran smoothly 100% percent of the time. Last year it was the gas gage in the 1999 Expedition (since replaced). This year it was the original Armstrong AC. After getting our portable ladder at Menards in Yankton, SD, got lucky to discover the old girl only needed a good cleaning. The last trip in early May meant getting out of Texas during the flooding, only to get invaded by ticks shortly after arriving in South Dakota. Then there were nearly 3 weeks of almost freezing temps, more thunderstorms and plenty of wind. But somewhere in all that, we must have been enjoying ourselves. We were kind of reluctant to come home, and keep dreaming of leaving again.

As others have said, it seems to me the full-time RV lifestyle is fully customizable. For those who are traveling solo, you can be as lonely as you wish. (It’s possible to be in a crowd and still be lonely.) I myself am a dyed-in-the-wool introvert and can go days without interactions outside my own household. I’m also a hard-core project person who keeps plenty busy in my own little world. Fortunately, I have several hobbies which are portable – drawing, painting, photography, graphic design, spinning yarn from the fiber produced by my English Angora rabbits. (A venture I took on after knitting and crocheting for many years.) Many of these activities could earn some extra money for a mobile lifestyle, or I can make things for a charity while I’m in an area. My husband, who is a disabled veteran, was the extrovert and loved being an orchestra director and cello player. But his 22 years of service in the Navy Seabees took their toll. And having to fight for his benefits for seven years after that only made things worse. He’s no longer the happy extrovert I used to know. Some people would probably look at us and say we’re the worst candidates to become full-time RVers, and to a certain extent they may be right. But they don’t define us, WE define us. And if we didn’t have the practical skills and an increasingly ferocious sense of independence, we wouldn’t try it. Unless one has an unlimited budget, I don’t see how you can be a full-time RVer if you can’t take care of yourself. I have yet to experience an emergency that was ever convenient. I’m trying to bring Karl back into the land of the living again, and sometimes it’s nice to be back in civilization. However, we do love solitude. In those places where solitude can be found, it’s possible to see the stars again. We’ve missed them quite a bit living in the big city.

Right now, we’re of the opinion that full-time on the road might not quite suit us. We’re looking at Texas Airstream Harbor Incorporated (TAHI) as a home base once we get the house out of our hair. It’s on the shore of Lake Sam Rayburn. What’s not to like about that?

By the way, while blaming Instagram, make sure you include Pinterest too. I won’t deny I’ve put pictures from 2 blogs (one for our AS) on a few boards. But we refuse to allow any advertising and are not a “Brand”, while I have designed some cutesy graphics for it (Got to keep those design muscles exercised). While we don’t mind showing off the fun stuff, there is nothing sugar-coated either. I have to stop myself from sounding too preachy. (My grown children accuse me of lecturing too much.) The first post we did after getting home? “We Wouldn’t Call It Glamping…” While cleaning muddy prints off our new AS floor, I wondered what idiot coined that word anyway. Viola, inspiration for a post.

P.S. Mandolinedave, if you’ve attended a lot of festivals over the years, it’s possible you’ve encountered a band named “Poker Alice”. My brother-in-law, Owen, has played fiddle/guitar with them for many years. These days, I think they stay mostly in South Dakota, but if you ever feel the need to visit a college town, he plays at Carey’s Bar in Vermillion almost every Friday night. One of our favorite campgrounds is Clay County which is just a few miles southwest of town. Just north of the Missouri River and surrounded by huge cottonwoods. Can be pretty quiet on weekdays. Ask us nicely and we might just tell you how to find it.

Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
As a full-timer for about two years now, I can say with certainty that some days it is wonderful, and some days it is awful. The highs are high and the lows are low. Would I do it again knowing what I now know? Yes, but some things I would do differently. If you are a worrier (I am), it can be very stressful, but going with someone that takes everything in stride is a great help. Am I currently building a house? Yes. Am I ever going to hit the road again full time? Possibly. I am so thankful for the experiences I have had and wouldn't trade (most of) them for anything!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #74
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Welcome aboard. It's usually best to get the RV first (never know what will come along), then a tow vehicle to match you and your rig, and always better to save then buy with cash when you actually need them.

Keep in mind, Airstreams are expensive and tiny with little storage space, and are really about travel. They are hot in summer heat and cold in cold weather, only a three-season RV. So extensive travel would justify buying one, that is their strong suit.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote