Old 09-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Djarrett, I do in fact play a mandolin ( Flatiron ) that was made in the Gibson factory, as well as a Gibson RB4 Banjo.( I traded my Les Paul for the banjo ). My Argosy becomes a mobile recording studio. One of the ways I will try to keep my sanity while on the road. Perhaps take a few gigs.

I've posted this way too many times already, but here is a video featuring the above mentioned instruments among others. It's a spoof of a band that I met while delivering pigs to Saturday Night Live. My music set to SNL video

https://youtu.be/ck93C8r9bNI

Old 09-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #44
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
LOVE. IT. !!

Although a drummer, I have been a closet Mandolin fan ever since seeing Pure Prairie League live my freshman year of college!

D

2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
This has turned into a great read, for sure! I think we are all learning that there are plus's and minus's to full timing....for us, I think a mix of on the road exploring for a while, then reloading and spending time with friends and family is a good mix. Great advice here for sure!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
mandolindave you are being too modest! Pack up the mandolin and hit the road. With your musical talent you could have quite an adventure full-timing!

Check out the song Dave posted on the OTRA ! Music Channel thread, with his daughter Sara on the vocals. [click on arrow in quote to go there]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
So it's a road trip song for me. Some of it was recorded in my Argosy

https://youtu.be/b1QgHEC0dhA

Fun bloopers and mad libs too!

And Dave, may I also suggest a context for your upcoming journey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

. . .
I have also always liked this quote from Steinbeck's Travels With Charley: In Search of America --

"A trip, a safari, an exploration, is an entity, different from all other journeys. It has personality, temperament, individuality, uniqueness. A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us . . . "
. . .

Copy that -- a trip takes us . . .

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 09-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #47
Rivet Master

I have been whining more than giving advice.

But as far as advice goes, especially for solo full timers.

I would suggest Bluegrass Festivals as a destination. The big ones can run into big bucks. But the smaller ones can be less than $100 for 4 or 5 days of camping and music. Yeah that would be $200 for a couple. Still cheaper than an RV resort. Folks are friendly, and it's a good place to meet people. About 12 hours a day, of stage shows, plus jam parties scattered all over the place.

Not all festivals offer hook ups either. And some of the BIG Rock festivals hit you up for tickets, AND camping, AND parking, AND hook ups, and can run into big time bucks ( $700 to $1000 and higher for VIP packages )

On the East Coast, there are dozens of Bluegrass Festivals scattered all over, every weekend from May to September

Plus you can volunteer at most of them to get free tickets.

The reason I mentioned it is that the East Coast doesn't have many free places, or BLM land, to boondock, like out west has.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If you like bluegrass...don't miss Mountain View, AR ... the little village corners each have impromptu performers (free) and the Foll Center (run by the park service) has wonderful venues made of local performers... and stay at the Court Square RV Park. What a nice experience!
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #49
Rivet Master

We kind of went off topic….my bad

I'm pleased that we didn't get 1,000 posts from full timers who love it. That really wasn't the purpose of this thread. One member posted that he never met anyone who tried full timing and didn't like it.

Most full timers that love it, are upfront about the downsides of living on the road

There must be a few that failed miserably, or at least a few that didn't care for it. Then the folks that know that they won't like it.

To any of you, What did you not like about full timing ?? What was the worst part of it?
Old 09-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #50
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
For my parents, the need for consistent access to high-end healthcare finally ended their full time adventure. This is typical of aging retirees, of course, but it's always sad when that is the reason vs. falling out of love with it for other good reasons which I hope Dave manages to elicit here.

Oh, and while "on the run," our parents were also Escapees (SKP) with mail service and other support from them. They really liked that outfit and found it quite helpful to their fulltiming efforts. At first they "lived" at hour house, using our home as a domicile, but after they went with Escapees, they moved their domicile there.

We, on the other hand, are not really cut out for full time adventuring. When retirement finally sets in we expect to take plenty of months-long adventures and warmed up last year by camping our way from Seattle to Orlando and back - loved it, but were glad to be home when we were done. After a long journey like that, the house seems HUGE when we get home. So, that will probably help us move to a house that is "less house and more driveway" so we can store Rocinante at home (ideally in an RV garage) between adventures, but we'll likely always have a stix/brix house somewhere. I guess we're just too attached to having some kind of roots, even if they're relatively shallow.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #51
Rivet Master

It might be a Surburban thing

In New Jersey, there are lots of great jobs, and high taxes. When you stop working, many have to move out and, downsize.

I am in that group. Instead of right away, buying an affordable small place, or starting a lease for a rental…I plan to " For a While Time ".

Change is scary…..but things MUST, and always DO change.

One of the guys on the video I watched, that stirred up my thought process, and this thread, looked down at, and was dismissive of people with " stick" houses. Like, people with houses are stupid sheep, being manipulated by consumerism .BUT…..what if everybody decided to live in a motorhome???

Anyway he also said. Fulltiming is trading comfort for freedom. I went right to that song " Desperado " and I quote …

" Well freedom…..that's just some people talking
Your prison is walking' through this world all alone "

And It really got me thinking' 'bout stuff so I wrote it all down

Missing my children
Friends far away
No dog, and no woman
All night and all day

I know I'll have a good time.
Maybe write a song or two
Sing songs to the ladies
Get kissed by a few.

Well….it might could happen that way? ( "might could" is standard mountain talk )
Old 09-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #52
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Additional thoughts

Loneliness can be an issue I suspect. Our first couple of months on the road, we were alone outside of our stay at an Airstream park. That ended when we meet up with some folks in the Grand Tetons.

As Westcoastas said, social networks have made it easier to connect with people. For us, Instagram has been the biggest tool for connecting with fellow full-timers. We have periods of being alone, and periods of being with friends.

But we have made more friends on the road and spent more time with those friends than we did/had in the 4 1/2yrs of living in Florida.

We recently spent six whole weeks in Sandpoint, Idaho camping with two families who are dear friends. And we all keep meeting up with each other it seems. And there are seven children between the 3 of us. All within close enough age ranges to play with each other. So the children are well socialized.

It's like a mini-community. And it's great, the way it comes together organically.

We have other friends too, with grown kids or no kids who we routinely meet up with too when our paths cross. And sometimes we'll go out of our way to meet up.

It does depend on personality a lot. My wife and I are both homebodies. I know some get stir crazy if it's raining all week and they're stuck inside. It doesn't bother us. And we enjoy each others company. I never find myself needing my "alone time" or space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I have a couple questions about "long-timing". What about snail-mail reception, and what about medical needs, i.e., regular prescription-renewals, kid's pediatric and dental needs? How do the women meet those typical womanly needs of community-participation and community-citizenship-participation of which they are so fond?
How about keeping professional licensing renewals(if any)?

Having spent a lifetime gathering all my toys together at a country-home, I'm trying to figure out how the place would fare unoccupied. (Not good, I suspect), but making the place useable for another occupant or renter... I can't imagine how that would work out without emptying the place into storage for their stuff.
We don't receive any mail. Nor do we use a service. We used https://www.41pounds.org to stop all junk mail. And all of our bills and services are done online, with paperless statements.

Medical needs are a bit tricky, we have to find doctors who are ok seeing traveling patients. I work in the hotel industry anyways, so I usually just mention I work in the hotel industry, and we're traveling.

We're still Florida residents, so any licenses stay current. We're just traveling.

The one thing I miss on the road is having a workshop and some of my own toys. I'm an automotive enthusiast, and as much as I love our Power Wagon, I miss my Corvette whenever I come across a twisty road.

While in Moab, Utah back in May I talked with an investor who owned a commercial property, one with bays where he kept his RV, two Boats, ATV's, and other vehicles. He owned the whole building, and his tenants paid the mortgage plus he made money while utilizing one of the units for himself. Just brilliant.

We have come to conclusion that a home base or similar would be a great idea for us. And we're now actually moving in that direction. With a couple of different ideas. I can say for a fact, it's no fun having to work on your Airstream when you need, while also living in it.

We do love full-timing, but it has it's downsides too. You do live in a smaller space. You do have to give things up. Some days, I just want to cut the grass.

It might seem funny, but some days, I just miss chores and the monotony of it.

Dunno if that makes sense. It might just be becuase I'm in my early 30's and in the building stage of life.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #53
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Makes total sense. Thanks for that poignant sharing of the details, really great read. Love that the kids have been exposed to so many experiences in so many places, far outside what most kids their age will have seen or done, and that they are making /meeting friends wherever they are found. It's extremely cool. Of course I was an "Air Force Brat" so I kinda get moving around as a child.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Bold just reminded me….

I realized that I spent WAY more time with my camping friends and neighbors that I did with my best long time buddies.

While camping, I spent 4 or 5 days straight with my camping folk.

I see my home boys for a few hours a week.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #55

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This thread is wonderful! Thank you to all who have shared advice and insights.

I'm new to the forum but not new to RVs (I grew up with AS). What you all shared here has been helpful as I research buying an AS and a TV along with thinking about the lifestyle of full-timing.

I also appreciated the distinction made between full-timing and living for a long period in a campground, for example. I wonder where "tiny living" fits here.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Foodie….( BTW welcome to the forum )

Tiny living fits in for me. This thread did discuss having a very small house, so you could have a legal place to park your trailer that had water, sewer, and electric. Could be a good option for some.

Different strokes. Some love full timing. Some want to full time some of the time.

Some of us still want a home to go home to.

Some don't want to give up their tools, heirlooms, or collections.

If your thinking about using an Airstream in a permanent location as an inexpensive domicile…this is the wrong thread, and I don't recommend it