Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Is full-timing really the right move ?

Group : The wife & I are only 4yrs away from being eligible to retire...however, we could work longer since (right now..) we are both only a tender 52yrs young.

Between our investments & pention, we should be able to make ends meet until age 60 when we will begin to receive retirement income from Canada & that will help with the old bottom line.

The plan is to sell the family (big) home & set up our son as a tenant in a smaller house (ours actually..but his one day anyway..) & then take our Airstream south for the winters & back to Ontario every summer.

Now, here's the question...

Since this forum has lots of retired folk as members...& I'm hoping to benefit from the experience of those who have already gone over this ground...

Would you stay working a while longer for the extra $$...or would (did) you cross over into the land of the retired at your first opportunity ??

Whatever your choice was...do you have any regrets ??

My thanks in advance to those who respond.

P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hello there!

We are all for retiring when you can, and living your dream. You just never know what is around the corner, what life may deal you that changes your ability.

We retired at 58, took our somewhat reduced pensions and a monthly draw on investments and hit the road. We have a small home, and are not going to do without that to return to periodically. It was the right decision for a number of reasons, and
1 1/2 years later, not a moment of regret.

You really can live very inexpensively, and there is some great information in these forums on how to do that as well as how to pare things down before you actually get to this point. We consider ourselves reasonably frugal, but also do what we want to do, when we want to do it---living well within our means.

Life is too short. We say---GO FOR IT!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I retired early (60) due to physical condition, and glad I did. My wife, however, still works, and she does it by choice. We've discussed full timing, and have decided we wouldn't really like it. We do, however, enjoy our Airstream and we enjoy taking longer trips with the trailer. So, we really believe the full timing thing is a choice that must be made by each couple, and each couple's situation and desires will probably be a little different.

We have a different issue where we live from yours (heat in the summer vers. cold in the winter), so we feel the migration thing is not such a big deal.

Although we have no experience at full timing, we have thought thru the issue and made our decission, and so felt I could at least contribute. Good luck with whatever you decide.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We are both retired from the Federal Government. SuEllyn went out on her 50th birthday, and I stayed until 53. We have never looked back. It was the best move for us. We didnt find Airstreaming until about 4 years later. What a lucky find that was. We absolutely love our Airstream travels. We have been all over the country, 45,000 miles and 360 nights. We are about one third timers, keeping our home base to go back to.

We have never regretted retiring as soon as we could.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
We are half timers -6 months in Airstream (permanently parked) and 6 months in condo (Ohio) - works well for us.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We are half timers too. We bought two lots (one with a small cabana on it) at the Texas Airstream Harbor Inc. near Zavalla TX. Still have a duplex in Peterborough Ont. That is working for us now.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We pretty much full-time ( have a villa in airstream comunity).We stay on the road about 11 mo. a year. We too took early retirement and do not regret doing so. My suggestion is to get campground memberships as they do save money if you are going to travel around ...not helpful if you plan on staying 5-6 monthes in the same place. Also we work-camp because it allows us to go to places for extended times ....jobs are anywhere for approx. 10 hrs (each person) for FHU to 30-40 hrs for FHU , laundry , etc + wages.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
grand rivers , Kentucky
I retired last spring after supporting my fully retired husband in the manner to which he wanted to be accustomed! we had bought a 22' Safari 4 years ago and traveled for a month at a time. We found that the 22' was adequate but we wanted more salon space and a bigger bed so we traded fort a 25' Safari. We are now gone for 3 months at a time and love it. Three months seems to be about right before stir craziness sets in. We have been volunteer campground hosts and lighthouse keepers which gives us lots of people interactions and allows us to stay free in beautiful areas for extended times. This winter was our first Florida extended time. We went to Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, FL and IT WAS WONDERFUL! Nice people, affordable prices and lots of things to do in the area. I do not regret early retirement and plan to get my money's worth during my 60's and 70's. We had thought of going back to houseboating if we get to feeble to drive aroud the country!
bfusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Are you just wanting to retire, or retire and travel. If you are not really into travel going full time makes little sense to me. I only mention this as I didn't get a feeling that travel was at the forefront of your mind as I was reading your post.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Rodney :

Actually you're right...there's a bit more to it than I've said to this point...as we have an Airstream...and a sailboat.

Once we finally retire, the plan is to head south with the boat (for a couple of seasons) & spend our winters down in the Keys & over in the Bahamas.

When we get tired of being Yachties...then the plan is to sail the boat in the Great Lakes during the summers & head south with the Airstream during the winters.

We plan on going exploring with the Airstream in due course, however, we really have to scratch the cruising itch before we get too old to embrace that sort of adventure.

Of course, we're pretty sure our plans are going to make retirement a huge amount of fun...it's just that I have this nagging concern of how final it is to stop the cycle of going to work & take the big step to begin a new way of living our lives.

That's the real issue I guess...

How scary was it for you folks that retired...especially those of you that retired early ??!!

P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
...............we're pretty sure our plans are going to make retirement a huge amount of fun...it's just that I have this nagging concern of how final it is to stop the cycle of going to work & take the big step to begin a new way of living our lives......

P.
I'm not retired, but I do know this: life is terminal. Before I went back to grad school, I was a medic. I spent a lot of time around people who were in the last days of their lives. None ever expressed regret over not spending enough time at the office. By in large the regrets were things they had not done. If you can afford it, get out on the water without delay.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
PaulO,

It wasn't scary at all for us, elation is a better description. You have to be ready financially, though, also ready to leave whatever line of work you have been in. We left two very high-stress positions, so enough said there. Blood pressure is down, other medical issues have disappeared, weight is off---it was a very good thing or us. It would be simple enough to pick up retirement employment of some type or another, if one needed extra income or just couldn't handle living without the regimentation of a job. I must say that we documented every expense for probably the first 3-4 months, having some concerns that traveling for weeks on end would stretch our monthly income beyond its' limits. That is probably a good idea for anyone who is not just filthy rich. We found it not nearly as expensive as initially feared, especially after we joined Passport America for overnights and moved from full service campgrounds to more state and federal sites. It is such a wonderful way to live, deciding every day where to go and what to see (we are still in the serious wandering phase). We get home regularly to see our kids and 9 grandbabies, talk with everyone on the phone at least weekly, send lots of postcards, etc. to help stay connected to the little ones. We are home from late October into January, too, for the major holidays and extra family time. It works for us, we have not regretted it for a moment. You have to be ready, in all areas, and then the world awaits!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I retired from my professional position at 52. I am now 60 and have a new profession. I teach art to adult developmentally disabled adults. I t ok up art when I retired and a whole new world opened up for me. My kids complain that they can never get hold of me and I am so busy I wear myself out. We recently bought a 65 vintage AS and its another "project." The point being retiring doesn't have to mean retiring from life. I truly believe the key to health is less stress and being happy. I know finances is also a big concern but I believe if you live within your means whether that means hot dogs and mac and cheese or steak and champagne - you will be ok. A 50,000 "new" AS was out of the question and approximate $5,000 investment (including refurbishing this particular AS) is certainly something we an do-one project, one month at a time. Try making a list of pros and cons for all your different options, sometimes putting it in black and white helps you from getting overwhelmed. Good Luck with what ever decisions you make and have a happy life!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Check out this site as part of your research

Mark's Fulltime RV Resource ( name of his web page )

Welcome to Mark's Fulltime RV Resource

He ( in my opinion ) is a guru on the art of fulltiming. Bottom line......
He was very handy, very smart, and he spent about $22k a year on the road. Did his own repairs and maintenance. He work camped, and boondocked to keep costs down. And the $22K is in 8-10 years ago dollars. He sold everything and planned to take 2 years off to live on the road. He made his money last and spent five years on the road before he built his own base camp from scratch. He talks about the good and bad emotional issues of living on the road and the good and bad issues of returning to a roots based lifestyle. A must read for you in my opinion.
I have another friend who was a professional airstream mechanic. He averaged $8 a night for camping alone. Sometimes sleeping at Wallmart,
friends driveways, gameland parking lots, and sometimes at more expensive camp grounds or more costly ralleys and festivals.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Ok! The quicck answer is to go full time NOW. Harriett and I started full-timing 10 years ago. with no regrates. First off, buy a Canagda National Parks Pass and a USA golden Eagle Pass. Why? If you were to visit every National Park or forrest in anada and the USA, and stayed at each for 3-4 days to see the area, it would take you about 8-9 years. Not only would you see North America (Canada & USA) but save a lot of money. Wile most of those sites are low cost, some are free with the passes or half price. Next visit all of the Corp of Engineers and Tennassee Valley Camp sites and that will take more years, but you will see and learn a lot. Have you been to the Capital of Canada? There is a great Provencial Park nearby where there is greaat camping. Subscribe to the Gypsy Journal (www.gyspyjournal.com)/ Get je;[ pm "on the road Communications (including TV) by sending your e-mail address to Bob9581@hughes.net. Some Airstream Parks such as 'Mystic Springs" need hosts and will let you stay free in exchange for doing so. Of course you must join the unit but that is a great amunt of fun. If you have solar system, boondocking is great fun and you meet a lot of nice people.. OK will get off my soap box, got to go to the Webster Flea Market (very very large and fun) Bob T
bob280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
My parents are full-timers and have been for 3 or 4 years. The strange thing is that when we were growing up, we ONLY stayed in national forest campgrounds and other similar tree-strewn settings with no power, water, etc. That concept stuck with me and I only enjoy primitive campgrounds. Private CGs tend to be parking lots and that kind of ruins it for me. My parents stay in a private "CG" i.e. parking lot with hookups for a few months and then move to another one. It's expensive although they get to live in their very nice Airstream. I wonder if full-timers ever fit in the boondock category, which to me is more like CAMPING than living in a trailer. The point for me is to be in a natural setting without distractions like TV, drunks, NASCAR fans, etc. Trailer parks don't seem like magnets for intellectuals, but maybe I'm missing something. The "Airstream harbor" type parks look to me like something to be endured rather than enjoyed. So there's my opinion!
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin View Post
...... I wonder if full-timers ever fit in the boondock category, which to me is more like CAMPING than living in a trailer.
While not retired, I have been full timing for about three years. When not held in location by work I can be found boondocking. I agree with you entirely.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin View Post
My parents are full-timers and have been for 3 or 4 years. The strange thing is that when we were growing up, we ONLY stayed in national forest campgrounds and other similar tree-strewn settings with no power, water, etc. That concept stuck with me and I only enjoy primitive campgrounds. Private CGs tend to be parking lots and that kind of ruins it for me. My parents stay in a private "CG" i.e. parking lot with hookups for a few months and then move to another one. It's expensive although they get to live in their very nice Airstream. I wonder if full-timers ever fit in the boondock category, which to me is more like CAMPING than living in a trailer. The point for me is to be in a natural setting without distractions like TV, drunks, NASCAR fans, etc. Trailer parks don't seem like magnets for intellectuals, but maybe I'm missing something. The "Airstream harbor" type parks look to me like something to be endured rather than enjoyed. So there's my opinion!
We agree with you on some of this. It does sound like there are a fair number of folks out there who prefer boondocking for extended periods to most anything else and others who like modern conveniences all the time. Having solar panels would help extended boondocking quite a bit. As not-quite-full-timers, but on the road most of the year, we use the parking lot places for overnights and the convenience of laundry and good showers. We boondock some, but mostly do electric/water hookups in the state and national parks where we do longer stays. Depends on what you like and what you want.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Live it up. It's later than you think.