Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Ok! The quicck answer is to go full time NOW. Harriett and I started full-timing 10 years ago. with no regrates. First off, buy a Canagda National Parks Pass and a USA golden Eagle Pass. Why? If you were to visit every National Park or forrest in anada and the USA, and stayed at each for 3-4 days to see the area, it would take you about 8-9 years. Not only would you see North America (Canada & USA) but save a lot of money. Wile most of those sites are low cost, some are free with the passes or half price. Next visit all of the Corp of Engineers and Tennassee Valley Camp sites and that will take more years, but you will see and learn a lot. Have you been to the Capital of Canada? There is a great Provencial Park nearby where there is greaat camping. Subscribe to the Gypsy Journal (www.gyspyjournal.com)/ Get je;[ pm "on the road Communications (including TV) by sending your e-mail address to Bob9581@hughes.net. Some Airstream Parks such as 'Mystic Springs" need hosts and will let you stay free in exchange for doing so. Of course you must join the unit but that is a great amunt of fun. If you have solar system, boondocking is great fun and you meet a lot of nice people.. OK will get off my soap box, got to go to the Webster Flea Market (very very large and fun) Bob T

Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Chelsea , Michigan
My parents are full-timers and have been for 3 or 4 years. The strange thing is that when we were growing up, we ONLY stayed in national forest campgrounds and other similar tree-strewn settings with no power, water, etc. That concept stuck with me and I only enjoy primitive campgrounds. Private CGs tend to be parking lots and that kind of ruins it for me. My parents stay in a private "CG" i.e. parking lot with hookups for a few months and then move to another one. It's expensive although they get to live in their very nice Airstream. I wonder if full-timers ever fit in the boondock category, which to me is more like CAMPING than living in a trailer. The point for me is to be in a natural setting without distractions like TV, drunks, NASCAR fans, etc. Trailer parks don't seem like magnets for intellectuals, but maybe I'm missing something. The "Airstream harbor" type parks look to me like something to be endured rather than enjoyed. So there's my opinion!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin View Post
...... I wonder if full-timers ever fit in the boondock category, which to me is more like CAMPING than living in a trailer.
While not retired, I have been full timing for about three years. When not held in location by work I can be found boondocking. I agree with you entirely.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin View Post
My parents are full-timers and have been for 3 or 4 years. The strange thing is that when we were growing up, we ONLY stayed in national forest campgrounds and other similar tree-strewn settings with no power, water, etc. That concept stuck with me and I only enjoy primitive campgrounds. Private CGs tend to be parking lots and that kind of ruins it for me. My parents stay in a private "CG" i.e. parking lot with hookups for a few months and then move to another one. It's expensive although they get to live in their very nice Airstream. I wonder if full-timers ever fit in the boondock category, which to me is more like CAMPING than living in a trailer. The point for me is to be in a natural setting without distractions like TV, drunks, NASCAR fans, etc. Trailer parks don't seem like magnets for intellectuals, but maybe I'm missing something. The "Airstream harbor" type parks look to me like something to be endured rather than enjoyed. So there's my opinion!
We agree with you on some of this. It does sound like there are a fair number of folks out there who prefer boondocking for extended periods to most anything else and others who like modern conveniences all the time. Having solar panels would help extended boondocking quite a bit. As not-quite-full-timers, but on the road most of the year, we use the parking lot places for overnights and the convenience of laundry and good showers. We boondock some, but mostly do electric/water hookups in the state and national parks where we do longer stays. Depends on what you like and what you want.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Live it up. It's later than you think.