Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Don't think there are any loopholes, there aren't. There is the law. Congress wrote the law in a convoluted way to make it possible to reward their friends and punish their enemies. That's why we'll never have a flat tax in our lifetimes.

I'm afraid we're in violent agreement. [emoji20]

So - is CA residency a good or bad idea anyway?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
A friend of mine was seriously looking to moving to CA. He learned quite by accident how CA works when it comes to residency for tax purposes. He says that the tax people don't look at the amount of time instate but what you might do that demonstrates INTENT to reside there according to the state tax people. This could include buying a car, renting a home, joining a country or other club, seeing a doctor, things like that. He left in a big hurry because being a rather wealthy individual, he was looking at a levy of 13% of his world-wide income. This would be, of course, in addition to his federal obligation and possibly his state of residence as well.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #63
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Any comments on southern Nevada? (Not Las Vegas metropolitan area, that is.) We live in Canada but one of us is a dual US citizen who can see some small advantages in establishing state residency, provided it didn't have to be our primary domicile.

And yeah. Payin' income tax in both countries.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #64
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There is another factor to consider in your choice of residency - quality of life.

I live in Minnesota and we pay fairly high state income taxes compared to other states.

But I think it's a fair price to pay for good roads, great state parks, excellent health care infrastructure, fine University and state colleges, honest government and good jobs.

But you don't need to move here.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Thanks for that, SteveSueMac. While Hand's quote was often referenced over the course of my career as a CPA, I guess I had to wait until I was retired to find out he hadn't made it from SCOTUS!
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #66
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Avoidance involves knowing and following the law.

Evasion involves lying.

No fine line as far as I am concerned.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
It sounds like a good idea to you. Being an Los Angeles resident myself, we just purchased a 30 classic and are looking to convert domicile to FL. A lot of YouTube videos do exist about this topic and all of it usually circles around taxes and vehicle registration. Saving on taxes means you can earn less and still enjoy life. That's the whole point of full timing for us -- lower overall cost of living and experience life beyond "the American dream"

Obviously, you need a mailing service or family to be able to register in another state. Mailing service does cost something but it's usually not as much as CA income taxes! It is required in most situations to have your vehicle physicially in the state you registering it at even with renewal so to some people's point, don't pick a state you have no intention of ever going back to. Remember CA also has the strictest smog laws in the country as well which may cause additional vehicle repairs or maintenance that you may not get elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to our adventure. Hoping for the best for you as well!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
A friend of mine was seriously looking to moving to CA. He learned quite by accident how CA works when it comes to residency for tax purposes. He says that the tax people don't look at the amount of time instate but what you might do that demonstrates INTENT to reside there according to the state tax people. This could include buying a car, renting a home, joining a country or other club, seeing a doctor, things like that. He left in a big hurry because being a rather wealthy individual, he was looking at a levy of 13% of his world-wide income. This would be, of course, in addition to his federal obligation and possibly his state of residence as well.
Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's....

There is no sympathy from me towards those that have wealth and don't want to support the system which gave them that.

If I owe a tax because of my circumstance... I pay it. If there's a legitimate reason I don't owe it... I don't pay it. (and explain why in the tax document)
I don't "game" the system. And there IS a difference.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:50 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post

There is no sympathy from me towards those that have wealth and don't want to support the system which gave them that.

If I owe a tax because of my circumstance... I pay it. If there's a legitimate reason I don't owe it... I don't pay it. (and explain why in the tax document)
Thank you!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #70
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Understand the Health Care Angle Implications

If you are too young for Medicare and buy private health insurance, be careful where you establish your new domicile - especially if your new address is in a rural county where there is often less competition for your business.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Just not as eloquent.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote