Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Poway , California
I'd say as long as you are providing your child with love and the essentials such as food and diapers and clothing and toys, there is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't be able to do this successfully. Are you planning on co-sleeping or do you plan on using a crib? Also, something you should consider is that the Classics use hardwoods and little if no pressboard which translates to less glue. The less glue the less formaldehyde. The less formaldehyde the better off your child's health will be, especially in the long-run. Before you make this decision, do some research on formaldehyde and health effects because it is a toxic substance, and even the Classic airstream has it. (as do any trailers and manufactured homes, and lots of furniture and carpets these days!)... but the less the better.
I don't think you are "foolish" for wanting to do this, but you really do need to look at everything right down to the minute details.
Congratulations on the baby!
(I'm a mom too)
Old 02-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #22
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
All kids are different. Some are sweetly disposed angels who eat well, don't get sick, sleep through the night, take naps in the afternoon.

Others don't. EVER.

Some babies don't spend every waking minute trying to choke, jump, pinch, or eviscerate themselves in new and startlingly creative ways.

Others do. EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Which one a person has makes all the difference. Ours have, in just the last year or so, gotten old enough where we can reliably sleep through the night. Our oldest, upon learning to walk, would use the merest suggestion of an opening door as a reason to light out at transonic speeds toward a road, cliff, river, or anything sharp and pointy, and respond to our commands to halt with a glance over the shoulder, a laugh, and an acceleration.
Our youngest was not like that.
No wonder, we thought, we went four years without sleep.

Sleep. Oh, I missed sleep. Mrs Redshed and I once hired a babysitter so we could take a nap.

Anyway, they're all different, and who really knows. I'm certain it can be done, but should it be? That question only you know, really.
RedSHED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceGirl
...The less glue the less formaldehyde...
no question new units give off vapors of some sort.

most of the glues and adhesives and so on used in new units don't contain ANY formalin compounds....

a/s has gradually switched to much 'safer' products to protect the health of workers on the assembly line.

the result is sometimes adhesives that don't work as well or last as long...

and that may be another reason to opt for a classic with less laminates.

carpet might be an issue for some, but they don't glue it down and u can order one without carpet.

safe, low volatile materials has become an important concept in rv construction...

i think the op's unit is well beyond needing to ventilate construction gases...

the diaper gasses might be another issue...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #24
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Get the biggest TT you can afford. Something with lots of slideouts. Get a dealer to tow it to the park. Then add a screened porch. An AS with a young family is pushing the limits.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
My thoughts

We have camped with a newborn but not full-timed.

I would wait until the little one is older. The first week (or two) you might not even want to go outside.We all love our Airstreams but I doubt if any of us want to stay inside it day and night for a solid week or more. How long you stay in will depends on what kind of parents you will be and what your pediatrician or family doctor of preference recommends. (Our first child/first doctor combo had us staying away from people for eight weeks. I thought I would lose my mind. Second child/different doctor, we went and socialized as soon as we felt ready.) Some new parents keep newborns away from other people for literally weeks out of fear of germs, others head off to the grocery store within a few days. How long you stay "in" will also depend on the kind of birthing experience mom has, you can have a birthing plan, but be prepared for nothing to go as planned, just in case. Is mom going to be able to properly recoup from a potential c-section in 17 feet of camper? What if mom has post-partum in that 17 feet of camper? These things can happen to the best of us and have nothing to do with our preparations or intelligence, etc.

Unless you have had your dog around a newborn for some number of hours, you don't actually know how it will react to the incredible change. It may or may not bark and go into alert and protect mode every time the baby cries (every two hours, day and night for maybe a few weeks). This is less of an issue to deal with in a house or other traditional abode when dog and child don't have to be "right on top of each other".

The lack of a bath tub in some Airstreams was mentioned as a downside. I don't agree. You are likely going to use an infant tub but that is really only necessary until the baby can sit up, which is around 6 or 7 months.You can figure out where to store it for that long. The infant tubs are bulky but you can pass it on as soon as the baby can sit. That is the time to switch to a Rubbermaid container that is about 12 inches high and 24 inches long by 18 wide (sorry I can't remember the gallon size, inches are a guess-timation). It can be stored in the bottom of the shower and holds dirty laundry when not in use as a toddler's bath tub. Use a non-slip rubbermaid bath mat to reduce the sliding around of little tushies.

However old the child, I agree, get the biggest Airstream you can afford. Go used. Picture this: a Bambi trailer, an 18 month old with a slight fever who should not be around other kids or older people for two days AND it is raining outside for those two days. Mom, the dog, and the baby will be crying from furstration in a 17 footer. We have a 31' and you get the sensation of being in more than one room. It feels more like two or three rooms. We did this because we have children and know that rain happens. It has been a great benefit even on short weekend trips. Even if you go minimalist with the child, even a few toys on the floor of a small trailer is an annoyance (we had a 21' SOB), and likely your child will have ,say, 10 to 15 toys (large or small) in it's posession at any given time, hopefully not ALL on the floor. I hope you wouldn't cut down too much on the toys. The right toys (even pots and pans) are great teachers and wonderful for brain development. Be prepared to buy a yearly membership to the local children's museum (and other kid-entertaining locations) where you can go on the rainy-don't-want-to-be-in-the-trailer days.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i think we scared off the OP. last post was on december 2, 2007.

hope for your safe return to the forums

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
i think we scared off the OP. last post was on december 2, 2007.
Oh, I hope not. I apologize if my post was a bit on the down side of new parenting. I debated about it. But you know, Airstreaming and parenting are a bit alike. There are some frustrating situations to each but the benefits are FANTASTIC! I love being a mom. RedSHED loves being a dad. We love our kids and we certainly think a lot of our Airstream. We are so lucky to be able to take our kids camping and we are thankful for those gifts that God has given us.

Hopefully the original poster will return. Whatever their decision about when to fulltime, I know the forums members will do their best to help them out.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1953 21' Flying Cloud
1962 16' Bambi
1979 24' Argosy 24
CHIBA
baby Bathing

Click image for larger version

Name:	ubuyu.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	54281This photo is my first challenge of BATHING.inFEB.2006
Now baby is 2 years old.
sharowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
That is a really cool picture! Man they hate to be bathed when they're so new.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1953 21' Flying Cloud
1962 16' Bambi
1979 24' Argosy 24
CHIBA
My baby's 1st. CAMPING

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	54282
And this is 3month or more later.
We towed 1965 Safari for Weekend Camp.
It was 1st Camping for Baby ..
My friend family own 1961 Bambi,,and His daughter said,,,I want! baby!too!!
Yes, her Partents doesn't allow yet.haha.
sharowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #31

2008 27' International CCD FB
West Hollywood , California
Baby

I think it is completely fine to live in your Airstream with a newborn. People have lived happily and healthily in far smaller places.

As for the smog in L.A. etc.... Don't get sucked into the fear of our culture. As long as the baby has access to good medical and love you will be fine. Being happy and living life the way you would like to will bring so much to having a wonderful family. People thrive when they are happy and happy to you may be very different than to anyone else.

I have lived in other countries where the lives of my friends don't fall into the conformity of our culture. Many of them have children that are exceptional. Their lives are not lived "normally". Of course they did provide clean homes with good food, school and love. You'll be fine.

My husband and I live in Los Angeles and are planning to live in an Airstream full time. I am not having children but have four dogs and a bird. I am not concerned about it at all. Perhaps they aren't children it is true but I wouldn't find if odd at all.

All my best!
GypsyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

My family spent about 45 days in our 34' over the summer. My wife twin girls and myself. The girls were about 18 months old. We even stayed in the trailer at my parents' house in Idaho. Plenty of room in the house but preferred our space in the Airstream. We had just finished an update on the inside and we left the bed out of the rear, put the crib in for the girls, and we slept in the front on the fold down couch thing. We chose to do that because the girls would sleep from 10:30 p.m. to 10:30 a.m. and by having them in the back we did not alter their sleep and we could have coffee, shower and do stuff until they woke up. This was great for us, but also a 34'. I wouldn't say a smaller Airstream won't work, just not for me. I need space and the girls need more than me. We also had an outdoor screen room that they could play in and a plastic $5.00 kiddie pool to extend their play area. I can't wait for the temps to go up so we can get out of the house and camp some more. Cabin fever is setting in...
potatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #33

, Washington, D.C.
I just want to say thanks to everyone for such great info. This string is an OLDY but GOODY. I'm considering full-timing and starting a family around the same time. ANY information from real experiences is SO WONDERFUL to hear. What a caring community I'm finding RVer's to be! Love it
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Palm Beach County , Florida
Guess we're about to find out how well a newborn in an AS works! Check out that good lookin' momma-to-be! (We'll report back in a year or two on how well this works out)
FullTimin2HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Fulltimin2HI:

Congrats!!!

You will do fine. We had a 25' sailboat and the first night that we slept on it we had a 5 1/2 year old, a 4 year old, a 19 month child, and a 3 week infant. That year we slept on our sailboat more nights than any other time.

You adapt to make things work.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimin2HI View Post
Guess we're about to find out how well a newborn in an AS works! Check out that good lookin' momma-to-be! (We'll report back in a year or two on how well this works out)
Wherever a baby is, love and good care are what's most important.

Good luck to you,

Maggie
Old 08-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Palm Beach County , Florida
Thanks Maggie and Dave!

Day 4 of newborn and all is well, the Airstream is plenty big enuff!

Here's Ron in his custom co-sleeper!
FullTimin2HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #38

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Summerville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVanMeter View Post
Hello...yes, more info is in order! We are new to Airstreams, but are avid campers. We are looking at a 19' International or a 20' Safari as its all our FJ Cruiser can tow and we don't want to replace the car. Its also our first baby. We would be parking in an RV park and staying put, in the Los Angeles area, while my husband works. I would be doing some work from home, over the computer. We also have two mid-size dogs who have been traveling with us all their lives. We are good at living with very little "stuff" and would welcome that. I am mainly wondering if anyone out there has lived with a baby in an Airstream, and has any advice they can share. Thanks so much! mvm
There is a blog out there of a couple who had a baby during their travels. I think it is something like Aluminum Adventures or something like that. From what I understand they had a pretty rough time of it in the beginning.

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine

Check out this collection of Airstream art!
anticloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Babies do well in small spaces. We raised our son from 2months old on a 30' cowhorn schooner which has WAY less living space than a 30' airstream (but it sure had a big swimming pool)in the Virgin Islands! We finally went stateside and became landlubbers when he was 7 yrs old. It isn't for everyone, but we sure had fun.
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #40

1984 31' Sovereign
Toms River , New Jersey
How about this one?

We have been full timers in a 1983 31' Sovereign for over a year now, mostly staying put in a NJ campground. We have a 6 year old and I am expecting another baby.
My initial reaction is, "we need a new living situation" a house, an apartment, something! We love living in our Airstream. I would be very sad to give this up. I really don't know how everything could possible fit though. I don't need much baby gear or anything but still clothes and diapers alone, where would they go?
Has anyone ever lived in an airstream with 2 kids? How? We have the bed in the back and I fall asleep with my son there and move to the living room sofa bed when my husband come home.
Oh god I don;t want to move out of my Airstream!!
Morebees is offline   Reply With Quote