Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
If you feel comfortable with the seller and the references they've provided.,ask them what they want to buy it outright. Even the most honest person can be ignorant of potential problems and once you buy it they become your problems, No response given so far suggest that you're "stupid". The answers you've received are looking out for your best interest even if you aren't. Due diligence is the name of the game.

Thanks, I can appreciate what you're saying, I'm working in that direction.

I think that unless someone has actually taken one of these apart and knows the whole construction, its a hard thing to determine, but with what knowledge I've found the sellers husband has, I'm sure he knows what's there as well as anyone. They seem to be extremely upfront and straightforward.

But who knows, maybe they'll rip me off and I'll deserve the "we told you so's" that I'd get.

Thank you for taking the time to help address this. Caroline
Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
To help you with the price, I paid $10,000 for a 34' 1987 that was in decent shape. No big problems. We changed out the flooring, redid the couch then decided we didn't need such a big trailer and resold it for $18,000. That was about 3 years ago. I would not pay more then $7-8000 for a 83 now, If it was in good shape.
Hi, This one has a brand new and nice looking Pergo floor, and the story I heard was not to buy newer than 1985 because there was a switch to particle board or something in the floors, rather than plywood, and its not as durable in humidity. I'll be between the Jersey shore and places like Sarasota or the Keys, so humidity will always be an issue.

I'm sure I can't get it for the money you suggest- its much nicer- at least in photos- and I saw 77 of them- than any other that I've seen advertised.

Really thankful that you took the time to try and help me- its the first real numbers on a 34 that I've gotten, so thanks. Caroline
Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #43
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinePica View Post
Hi, This one has a brand new and nice looking Pergo floor, and the story I heard was...
pergo is fine IF it's over a solid subfloor, although pergo does NOT tolerate moisture, it can swell and raise with water contact.

and it is also sometimes used by quickie sellers to HIDE soft spots in the subfloor,

and makes it harder to carefully inspect the subfloor.

so take an ice pic to the inspection, and poke around in closets, under the lav sink and near the walls...

the 'story' u were told about floor materials post 1985 is FALSE.

only a few shorter models have osb (particle board) in recent years.

most factory subfloors are still plywood.

humidity isn't the issue for subfloors, but condensation can be.

actual WATER penetration, of shell/window/door and plumbing leaks will soften even marine grade plywood eventually.

there is no satisfaction in 'told you so' afterward and no substitution for hands on inspection.

taking the unit to a qualified a/s service shop for an inspection is an excellent idea offered in your other thread on this unit.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
BE CAREFUL.. there was a SCAM like this around eBay not long ago!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #45
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
...most factory subfloors are still plywood...
in the last 10 years or so, only the 16s and 22s contain osb sub-flooring, i think.

but my reference to osb vs plywood above, prompted a 'streamer friend to remind me his 34 from '87 has osb too...

which rang a recall-bell about a 92 that does too, at least in the back, under the bed.

the unit is covered some in this thread with pix of the subfloor.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...ler-37520.html

all the more strange since this 91 (just a year older) has plywood , from the photos posted.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-35237.html

and my 05/34 definitely has plywood too.

so perhaps they switched around on subflooring materials over the years, and more than once.

maybe one of the regular service and fixer up folks has got the year by year run down, or an email to tech support can clear this up.

u might also get some pricing info from wayne regarding his purchase last year in the linked thread above...

and at the very least these threads point out how even newer units can have surprise repair issues...

not revealed without firsthand inspection.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman View Post
BE CAREFUL.. there was a SCAM like this around eBay not long ago!
SCAM like "this"? Meaning what?

What about this is a scam? Please enlighten me- thanks. I can't see anything wrong with the trailer or the people selling it- please refer which scam.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:47 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Caroline,

Don't get too worked up about the "scam" warnings from other posters. Folks are just looking out for your best interests based on the limited info you have given.

Based on the user name of the UK Ebay lister (highenergy-heavyduty), I think this trailer is being sold by EllieZ and her husband. Here is a link to her Airforums Profile page, Reading over her posts may help you one way or another.

They have offered a lot of trailers for sale to be transported to Europe. IIRC she (and maybe her husband too) play Basketball in Europe.

As far as your other thread regarding what price to pay... I agree with you that it looks like a real nice trailer. My suggestion is to offer what you can afford considering you may need to spend another $5000+ to do repairs. If these are not required then you got a real good deal. If they are required then you got what you paid for.

Whatever you do... don't buy the trailer and then assume because it looks nice on that surface that it does not need the repairs. If you ignore needed repairs, you will find that your beautiful interior will become not-so-beautiful real fast. Even just towing from Jersey to FLA a couple times a year can be hard on a trailer with structural/running gear issues... especially the long ones.

Sorry for the "lecture" It's not meant to suggest that you are not capable... just to educate based the pitfalls of many others that have posted here.

Good Luck!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Thanks for that, Steve-

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Caroline,

Don't get too worked up about the "scam" warnings from other posters. Folks are just looking out for your best interests based on the limited info you have given.

Based on the user name of the UK Ebay lister (highenergy-heavyduty), I think this trailer is being sold by EllieZ and her husband. Here is a link to her Airforums Profile page, Reading over her posts may help you one way or another.

They have offered a lot of trailers for sale to be transported to Europe. IIRC she (and maybe her husband too) play Basketball in Europe.

As far as your other thread regarding what price to pay... I agree with you that it looks like a real nice trailer. My suggestion is to offer what you can afford considering you may need to spend another $5000+ to do repairs. If these are not required then you got a real good deal. If they are required then you got what you paid for.

Whatever you do... don't buy the trailer and then assume because it looks nice on that surface that it does not need the repairs. If you ignore needed repairs, you will find that your beautiful interior will become not-so-beautiful real fast. Even just towing from Jersey to FLA a couple times a year can be hard on a trailer with structural/running gear issues... especially the long ones.

Sorry for the "lecture" It's not meant to suggest that you are not capable... just to educate based the pitfalls of many others that have posted here.

Good Luck!
I looked through her posts- she's nice, seems really nice, even though we never met in person. In speaking with her references- 2 of which were collectors with large collections- I heard nothing but positives- her husband is a "genius" with vintage trailers, according to a guy with a trailer museum in Auburn Cal. He collected 30 and started selling them off. She bought this one herself- with her money, and decided not to use it as planned. She does play on a European national team and professionally. He was a player and coach.

She told me some interesting stories about people here, and why she's no longer a member. Her contributions were sound- I'd say helpful. I like her- she's a sweet young girl with a baby. Doesn't mean I'm allowing her to sell me something without seeing it, but I think in the character department, she and her husband are tops. And he obviously knows more about Airstreams than most people.

I really, sincerely appreciate your time in assisting me. Thank you. Caroline
Old 08-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
how is it my posts to this thread kep disappearing?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman View Post
how is it my posts to this thread kep disappearing?
I don't see that and I should be able to in all cases. I've PM'ed you to contact tech support.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Wink How's this for an ebay scam?

After conversing in depth with the girl selling the 34 Excella, and explaining how so many people were warning me about her and her husband being some scam artist, she offered me this:

Win the auction, PAY NOTHING UP FRONT, come see it, they'll tow it to any RV tech I choose for free, and get it inspected professionally. If I don't like what the tech says, they'll pay the tech's fee's and my trip expense money.

They're in a hurricane warning zone, so I'm waiting for all that to shake out, but in all likelihood, I'm driving down late this week.

Does that limit my risk? I think its pretty nice for them to offer- especially after all the warnings people have contacted me with about how bad they are. Or, is it a deeper plot- maybe they'll kidnap me? Maybe they'll make me play basketball? Thanks for all the concern, Caroline
Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you win the auction, aren't you legally bound to pay it regardless of all the assurances they give you now?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #53
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Why are all these people warning you about this couple in particular? Do all these people know something you don't?

However, I do believe if someone confronted me with a warning from other people that I was a scam artist and I wasn't, I'd either hang up the phone or tell you what to do with the advise you'd been given. But I don't think I'd be offering to pay your expenses to come examine the trailer after you were obligated to buy it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you posts started with the fact that you were a newbie looking to buy something to live in. you have to buy it before living in it. many people here tried very hard to share many possible pitfalls that you might encounter. they have been there, done that and have drawers full of t-shirts from their good and bad experiences. they just want your experience to be a positive one.

this advise is for any purchase, not just this person. nobody is trying to kill your deal, if anything, they want your purchase to go well.

it seems you just want someone to just say,"yes, buy it". those with experience will not do that because there are so many variables.

to answer your question, yes, you can live in that, after it's your trailer.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Caroline,

I don't remember anyone specifically warning you about THESE sellers in particular - just the general idea of buying used online from an unknown seller, with zero sales record, and an industrial zone for an item location, with pictures used in other auctions.... There have been alot of well documented eBay scams that some of the members of this forums have detected and brought to the attention of eBay. When a new member comes along and requests assistance from the AirForums on buying a trailer from Craigslist or eBay we are generally careful to mention these scams and point you to the threads on that subject.

I have read from your two or three threads about your desire to buy a trailer and the responses to your request. Nowhere have I seen anyone claim that THESE specific individuals are scammers, or that this deal is bad - just offers of precaution. Sounds like the sellers want to make the best of your interest. Bigger traliers are sometimes harder to move, so when a buyer comes along they want to hold on to them. It is an auction, I do not remember a reserve - sounds like a good oppertunity for all involved.

Good Luck, travel safe....
Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We Care

Quote:
Does that limit my risk? I think its pretty nice for them to offer- especially after all the warnings people have contacted me with about how bad they are. Or, is it a deeper plot- maybe they'll kidnap me? Maybe they'll make me play basketball? Thanks for all the concern, Caroline
We care about each other. Real friendships develop here and we do eventually "See You Down The Road". I read your other thread, and I'm sure you're a person of good sense - heck you joined this forum didn't you?

The only thing I can add is that old tried and true thing "If it seems too good to be true, it probably IS." The sellers seem a bit too eager. Normally you get 10-15 bidders on ebay. Why are they so interested in YOU getting this unit? Them paying for your trip? Now that's just WAY too generous. They don't know YOU. If I were selling I'd worry that you'd write a bum check, or that you might be bi-polar and on an "up" fugue, or that you're just looking for a week in Florida for free.

Of course with the economy the way it is, a lot of sellers are getting very eager... but that eager? Think about it. You're own remark "maybe they'll kidnap me" is damn close to what did happen to one member of this forum.... robbed at gunpoint doing just what you're planning.

What I'd do if I wanted the 34 you're looking at? OK, go read some posts from Overlander63. Terry has more postings than anyone else on the forums. You'll never find anyone who'll say a bad word about him. I'd pay him generously to inspect it... First, just to act like he's interested in it (he won't be, he's still working on "Bertha") and have him ask to come by and see it because he's "in the neighborhood". If the sellers don't want him to see it first hand, that smell is "RAT".

If he sees it and tells you it's a good deal, then it is - as long as there is a clear title and it's in the seller's name. And that you can check ahead with Florida's DMV.

We all want you to be a HAPPY Camper! Paula Ford
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
After conversing in depth with the girl selling the 34 Excella, and explaining how so many people were warning me about her and her husband being some scam artist, she offered me this:
Caroline,

I think you grossly misunderstood what folks were telling you. No one made specific accusations about this couple. I sure hope you clarify with EllieZ that no one here on the forum questioned their legitimacy. It wasn't until a few folks did some digging that we even had any idea who the sellers are.

It's a good idea to go lock at the trailer if you are able. Sounds like you would be best to take a trip down there and do the deal in person.

Good Luck! ... and stay dry
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 08-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
You didn't see it all-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Caroline,

I don't remember anyone specifically warning you about THESE sellers in particular - just the general idea of buying used online from an unknown seller, with zero sales record, and an industrial zone for an item location, with pictures used in other auctions.... There have been alot of well documented eBay scams that some of the members of this forums have detected and brought to the attention of eBay. When a new member comes along and requests assistance from the AirForums on buying a trailer from Craigslist or eBay we are generally careful to mention these scams and point you to the threads on that subject.

I have read from your two or three threads about your desire to buy a trailer and the responses to your request. Nowhere have I seen anyone claim that THESE specific individuals are scammers, or that this deal is bad - just offers of precaution. Sounds like the sellers want to make the best of your interest. Bigger traliers are sometimes harder to move, so when a buyer comes along they want to hold on to them. It is an auction, I do not remember a reserve - sounds like a good oppertunity for all involved.

Good Luck, travel safe....
The emails, the PM's- I gave the seller the info of one person who had something to say and her husband called him. The member wrote me back with a new attitude for the people- said they were "without hesitation good to do business with". I'm sure talking with them would change anyones mind- whatever the jealousy is. He's gotten raves from the references I called- the owner of the Antique Trailer Museum in Auburn California called him a genius and straight as they come.

His wife's an angel- absolutely- for whatever reason you folks here don't like either one- I'd certainly like to know. Posts were made that she was kicked off, why? I've seen some pretty aggressive posting here- one member called me 'pica which is my last name- why? Is that nice? Cute? I think its pretty harsh. You should respect people, especially a woman trying to find out some info- I don't care how many rivets or posts you have here.

The girls husband has a big collection- I'm sure he knows something...

Seriously, how much trouble can they give me with no money being sent upfront? Sounds like they're straight.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Last Note

I JUST noticed where you live. Girl, there's a great "Airstream Only" campground in NJ. Check it out under "Reviews". I've only visited three Airstream parks, but guess what, two had units with "for sale" signs on them.

You might find the perfect A/S pretty much in your own back yard.

Paula
Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Thanks Paula-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
We care about each other. Real friendships develop here and we do eventually "See You Down The Road". I read your other thread, and I'm sure you're a person of good sense - heck you joined this forum didn't you?

The only thing I can add is that old tried and true thing "If it seems too good to be true, it probably IS." The sellers seem a bit too eager. Normally you get 10-15 bidders on ebay. Why are they so interested in YOU getting this unit? Them paying for your trip? Now that's just WAY too generous. They don't know YOU. If I were selling I'd worry that you'd write a bum check, or that you might be bi-polar and on an "up" fugue, or that you're just looking for a week in Florida for free.

Of course with the economy the way it is, a lot of sellers are getting very eager... but that eager? Think about it. You're own remark "maybe they'll kidnap me" is damn close to what did happen to one member of this forum.... robbed at gunpoint doing just what you're planning.

What I'd do if I wanted the 34 you're looking at? OK, go read some posts from Overlander63. Terry has more postings than anyone else on the forums. You'll never find anyone who'll say a bad word about him. I'd pay him generously to inspect it... First, just to act like he's interested in it (he won't be, he's still working on "Bertha") and have him ask to come by and see it because he's "in the neighborhood". If the sellers don't want him to see it first hand, that smell is "RAT".

If he sees it and tells you it's a good deal, then it is - as long as there is a clear title and it's in the seller's name. And that you can check ahead with Florida's DMV.

We all want you to be a HAPPY Camper! Paula Ford
They said that any buyer would be offered the same, and that the offer was if the tech uncovered something that they hadn't disclosed. They never offered me to come on their dime, it was IF there was anything wrong, I'd not lose a penny on my trip.

I don't think its desperate, I think its just to re-assure me, but after speaking with the references, I think there are few people who know these better than her husband. The museum owner isn't a member here either- so that tells me that the forum membership isn't a prerequisite for trailer knowledge.

Thank you again, Paula, I appreciate the assistance. Caroline
Closed Thread