Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
folks.. none of my posts were removed... as an old geek I should've known that the fault is almost always a short between the seat and the keyboard.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
One of the most important things about buying anything is to buy with your head not your heart. If you don't buy this one believe me there WILL be other ones. This one is very nice but it was not the only one made like it, there were many of this year and make. Like was mentioned before I only wish you the best of luck with this AS or any AS. From what I have read of the sellers answers to questions on the sale it seems that she is on the up and up. Willing to let the AS be inspected before $$ is to be paid. That is a pretty good safety net. You are bidding against European buyers which will run the cost up higher then it would normally as Airstreams cost much more over seas and are impossible to find there, so they are willing to pay more. I feel that this one will top out at $12,500 or more (i'm guessing).

It took me about 6 months to find mine and am I glad I waited. The one I brought was very reasonable and needed little work.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #73
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I JUST noticed where you live. Girl, there's a great "Airstream Only" campground in NJ. Check it out under "Reviews". I've only visited three Airstream parks, but guess what, two had units with "for sale" signs on them.

You might find the perfect A/S pretty much in your own back yard.

Paula
I was there this past weekend, the only thing for sale was a Dodge 2500 and Ice.

Caroline, 959 miles from you to where you plan to go for 6 months of the year. That is a drive, you need to look at it as "on the road" The offer to, not put out anything till you have it looked at, is excellent and I would not worry too much with that set up.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I was there this past weekend, the only thing for sale was a Dodge 2500 and Ice.

Caroline, 959 miles from you to where you plan to go for 6 months of the year. That is a drive, you need to look at it as "on the road" The offer to, not put out anything till you have it looked at, is excellent and I would not worry too much with that set up.

Thanks for adding that in- I have a friend who's been to the couple parks in the area and nothing was for sale. I think what I found is unique, so I'm hoping to get a pleasant surprise in its condition.

I agree that its a fair way to protect both parties- they obviously have nothing to hide. I've heard enough horror stories, and really being new at these will make me extra cautious- and will avoid allowing me to buy on emotions.

Thank you again, Caroline
Old 08-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #75

1994 34' Legacy 34
Campbellsport , Wisconsin
Caroline,
My husband and I take our 34' AS Motorhome on a month long journey every spring. Last year 3700 miles and the year before 5093 miles. He doesn't drive! Plus many excoursions in between. Sometimes we pull a boat and other times haul a small motorcycle. I love going and the drive doesn't bother me. This year we re-decorated including new upholstery, had to fix some leaks and there is always maintenance. Doesn't matter - we love it. Our goal will be to retire in 3 years and travel full time. By the way, we purchased it on E-Bay 4 years ago.
Good luck!
Deb
Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Thanks you so much Deb-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannen View Post
Caroline,
My husband and I take our 34' AS Motorhome on a month long journey every spring. Last year 3700 miles and the year before 5093 miles. He doesn't drive! Plus many excoursions in between. Sometimes we pull a boat and other times haul a small motorcycle. I love going and the drive doesn't bother me. This year we re-decorated including new upholstery, had to fix some leaks and there is always maintenance. Doesn't matter - we love it. Our goal will be to retire in 3 years and travel full time. By the way, we purchased it on E-Bay 4 years ago.
Good luck!
Deb
I assume the size is the same, and I know that the little things happen, and I fully expect to drop money into it before I use and while I use it.

My theory- even though I have to admit being new- is that if I get it around the $10,000 mark, its nothing in comparison to what I've spent on monthly condo rentals- which in Florida are $2,500 per month in the places I stay- so 4 months and its paid for itself. AND, I have something to show for it in the end. I think I can hit IKEA on the way for some cute and lightweight knickknacks and have it like my own in a matter of days.

I appreciate your nice and positive input! Caroline
Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #77
_

. , .
5 days and 8 hours 2 go....

it's a curious thing, when someone TRYING to BUY a unit...

continues to promote the auction.

i don't get it.

regardless let's consider THIS trailer.

based on the pics the aluminum shell looks fine.

but we can tell NOTHING about the frame, subfloor, insulation or mechanicals...

1. fridge

having replaced the rv style fridge with a household ac unit is a problem.

these fridges don't travel as well and obviously only operate on 110 v power.

and who knows what was done to "FIT" the fridge into the space.

i'd prefer a unit with the original fridge or an rv specific 2 or 3 way unit, even if not operable.

2. floorplan...

the L lounge floorplan (2 sofas) isn't rare, u can still get one that way.

friends with that layout and like it because MORE PEOPLE can sit.

but for a solo person OR maximizing floor space or storage or LIVING space it isn't ideal.

think about where the tele might go? and other stash we have.

this is NOT a wide body so that section of open floor area is small and narrow relative to newer units...

and new upholstery for 2 sofas is expensive.

the sofas DO come out easily and i' prefer the sofa/chair set up vaughn has or 2 chairs and no sofa.

of course ONCE u make those nifty and needed living area changes the original 'special' floor plan is irrelevant.

3. flooring

it LOOKS like the pergo stops at the sofa fronts. the only way to know is LOOKING inside the sofa storage.

IF the original blue carpet is under the sofas, that's an issue for odors, moisture and so on....

plus removing a sofa to restyle the living area becomes a problem, because there is NO pergo in that space.

4. shower?

there are no shots of the shower in the auction.

so i'd assume the shower pan and multifaceted shower walls need work and the seams leak...

perhaps the shower is PERFECT, but since it's not shown assume otherwise.

5. sleeping area

no bed room shots, again thats odd. does the pergo extended into the bedroom or not?

from outside it looks like a twin bed model. lots of folks like twins and they do improve space availability.

also one can be taken OUT for a desk area.

but does this unit have 25 year old mattresses?

the a/s fitted twins are still available but not for free (unless u dumpster dive in j/c)

6. awnings...

lots of awning assemblies. but NO shots of the fabric. at 25 they could be in great shape or not.

replacement cloth isn't inexpensive.

7. usage/history....

all sellers exaggerate some, but has this unit REALLY only been used a few weeks yearly for 25 years?

that reads like 'driven to church on sunday' and if it's true, i'd still be concerned about axles, brakes, hubs and so on...

8. interior and weight issues...

this unit is "pre oak" interior, with tambour stuff.

i like tambour, it's light and functional BUT how are the panels and plastic mechanicals?

this is a lighter trailer (good) for 34 but the carry capacity still be small, gotta check the factory ticket and weights.

9. price

the price can get skewed favorably for international buyers, PRIMARILY because of the current exchange rate.

but shipping adds to their burden. a unit like this might just get parked in the u.k. and the electrical stuff will all get ripped out anyway.

for a savy u.s. buyer who can replace axles, ALL 3 OF THEM,

do brakes and bearings (SIX), change out interior easily (smell aside), and otherwise "FIX 'ER UP" for material costs...

this might be a good buy under 7-8k$, (floor, window and leaks aside) just expect to DOUBLE the purchase price in repairs.

when someone else DOES the work labor charges drive up repair costs significantly...

hiho' are u watching this one?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #78
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Another interesting, but irrelevant question, is who is the bidder that has bid the same amount more than 25 times? If you look at the total bids, it looks like a lot of people have bid on this auction, but in reality only about 3 have, and one of them the exact same amount over and over again.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Another interesting, but irrelevant question, is who is the bidder that has bid the same amount more than 25 times? If you look at the total bids, it looks like a lot of people have bid on this auction, but in reality only about 3 have, and one of them the exact same amount over and over again.
The bidder that has bid 25 times in a row on this auction is a new bidder on ebay. He has 0 feedback which means he has never bought or sold anything on ebay. He has no idea what he is doing. These bids must be bids of $100 each because you can't bid the same amount each time, each one must be higher. This adds $2500.00 to the sale price of the AS. Of course someone else must bid against him to get it to go any higher. A bidder like this can ruin an auction if other bidders realize this they may stop biding and it may never reach the reserve. I have sold over 1000 items on ebay and have banned 0 feedback bidders from bidding unless they email me first. I have never ever seem anyone do what this guy did most of the time even new bidders will stop after the 5th or 6th time. On another note it may be a auction shill. Which is worse.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #80
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover View Post
... I have sold over 1000 items on ebay and have banned 0 feedback bidders from bidding unless they email me first. I have never ever seem anyone do what this guy did most of the time even new bidders will stop after the 5th or 6th time. On another note it may be a auction shill. Which is worse.
In general I think that buying and selling on e-bay from someone with 0 feedback is risky. I wouldn't buy a high ticket item from a seller with no feedback unless I could see the trailer and meet the seller PRIOR to the sale and see the title.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 08-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
Gang;

I've been buying and selling on eBay since I was selling BLACK AND WHITE PHOTO scanners shortly after they opened... I still think something is fishy in this auction, but hey that's just me...

--BUT--

BUT.... the "25 EXACT SAME BID" bidder is just the high bidder adding to their top end price... think about it, you wouldn't WANT anybody to SEE how high you were willing to go! So if you bid $8,600.00 and decide you'll actually go $8,650.00 then $8,700.00 then $8,750.00 is still shows that it's at your hgih bid of $8,600.00 BUT it shbows you have bid again.

eh??
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #82
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman View Post
Gang;

I've been buying and selling on eBay since I was selling BLACK AND WHITE PHOTO scanners shortly after they opened... I still think something is fishy in this auction, but hey that's just me...

--BUT--

BUT.... the "25 EXACT SAME BID" bidder is just the high bidder adding to their top end price... think about it, you wouldn't WANT anybody to SEE how high you were willing to go! So if you bid $8,600.00 and decide you'll actually go $8,650.00 then $8,700.00 then $8,750.00 is still shows that it's at your hgih bid of $8,600.00 BUT it shbows you have bid again.

eh??
An educate Ebay consumer would know then that if the bids are in $100 increments (and they are), the next bid that will do anything will be at least $2500 more than the current price, which is standing at $8600. Using arithmetic, we would reach a figure of $11,100, give or take a bit. And that figure would still be less than the reserve. If it met the reserve, the price would automatically show that amount, and "reserve has been met" would be shown.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
it's a curious thing, when someone TRYING to BUY a unit...

continues to promote the auction.

i don't get it.

regardless let's consider THIS trailer.

based on the pics the aluminum shell looks fine.

but we can tell NOTHING about the frame, subfloor, insulation or mechanicals...

1. fridge

having replaced the rv style fridge with a household ac unit is a problem.

these fridges don't travel as well and obviously only operate on 110 v power.

and who knows what was done to "FIT" the fridge into the space.

i'd prefer a unit with the original fridge or an rv specific 2 or 3 way unit, even if not operable.

2. floorplan...

the L lounge floorplan (2 sofas) isn't rare, u can still get one that way.

friends with that layout and like it because MORE PEOPLE can sit.

but for a solo person OR maximizing floor space or storage or LIVING space it isn't ideal.

think about where the tele might go? and other stash we have.

this is NOT a wide body so that section of open floor area is small and narrow relative to newer units...

and new upholstery for 2 sofas is expensive.

the sofas DO come out easily and i' prefer the sofa/chair set up vaughn has or 2 chairs and no sofa.

of course ONCE u make those nifty and needed living area changes the original 'special' floor plan is irrelevant.

3. flooring

it LOOKS like the pergo stops at the sofa fronts. the only way to know is LOOKING inside the sofa storage.

IF the original blue carpet is under the sofas, that's an issue for odors, moisture and so on....

plus removing a sofa to restyle the living area becomes a problem, because there is NO pergo in that space.

4. shower?

there are no shots of the shower in the auction.

so i'd assume the shower pan and multifaceted shower walls need work and the seams leak...

perhaps the shower is PERFECT, but since it's not shown assume otherwise.

5. sleeping area

no bed room shots, again thats odd. does the pergo extended into the bedroom or not?

from outside it looks like a twin bed model. lots of folks like twins and they do improve space availability.

also one can be taken OUT for a desk area.

but does this unit have 25 year old mattresses?

the a/s fitted twins are still available but not for free (unless u dumpster dive in j/c)

6. awnings...

lots of awning assemblies. but NO shots of the fabric. at 25 they could be in great shape or not.

replacement cloth isn't inexpensive.

7. usage/history....

all sellers exaggerate some, but has this unit REALLY only been used a few weeks yearly for 25 years?

that reads like 'driven to church on sunday' and if it's true, i'd still be concerned about axles, brakes, hubs and so on...

8. interior and weight issues...

this unit is "pre oak" interior, with tambour stuff.

i like tambour, it's light and functional BUT how are the panels and plastic mechanicals?

this is a lighter trailer (good) for 34 but the carry capacity still be small, gotta check the factory ticket and weights.

9. price

the price can get skewed favorably for international buyers, PRIMARILY because of the current exchange rate.

but shipping adds to their burden. a unit like this might just get parked in the u.k. and the electrical stuff will all get ripped out anyway.

for a savy u.s. buyer who can replace axles, ALL 3 OF THEM,

do brakes and bearings (SIX), change out interior easily (smell aside), and otherwise "FIX 'ER UP" for material costs...

this might be a good buy under 7-8k$, (floor, window and leaks aside) just expect to DOUBLE the purchase price in repairs.

when someone else DOES the work labor charges drive up repair costs significantly...

hiho' are u watching this one?

cheers
2air'
I'm really glad you have so much extra time to offer so much insight. I've spoken to these people, and I saw the 70+ photos they have- most of which show lots of detail, and I'm heading there hopefully if the German or 2 Frenchman don't go crazy with their offers.

I personally think that the layout you spoke of is horrible. That ugly chair set up looks like a little apartment for retirees on Staten Island. I'm looking for one just like this- so I'm glad its no one elses fave- maybe I'll be the only one who wants it in the end. Another person mentioned that the axles look OK, you say no- I couldn't care- I don't want a wide body, I want a cheaper mid 1980's pre-oak interior. I can afford to have the entire interior ripped out and take it to a yacht refinisher and have a custom mahogany or teak interior installed if I want 'real' wood. I'm only plugging it in, not sitting in a vacant field with it- so if it had a 3 way, I'd replace it with a home edition when it failed.

You're scary. You use some aggressive approaches, and telling me that I shouldn't use my name- why? Are you some devious minded person who thinks the worst? I just saw a new poster add a post named Bobblomquist- did you call him 'quist when you answer him?

Try being a bit more friendly with people. Or at least find another thread to poke members on. You've gone to great lengths to rile me up- are you happy with my reply now? Have I taken enough of my energy to address you as you wanted?

Thanks for bashing and questioning the trailer I want, it helps scare the timid away, hopefully leaving lil ol' me to bid on it and get it for the low price you suggested.

Print your own posts out and put them on a wall, and read them for the next week. Maybe you'll understand what I mean. Thanks for all the attention. Bye! Have a better day tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
That may be just enough to close this thread............

Ms Caroline Pica, there are several people here that have tried to long lengths to answer the questions YOU pose to THIS audiance. If you do not like the responses then just ignore them - This is the web and you do get what you pay for here - it's free advice offered by some who have some interest in Airstreams.

We are no experts - individually - but collectively you may find that this an excellent resource for Airstreams. When - and if - you get yours, you may find this site to be invaluable in your research for repairs, upgrades, improvements and in general moving advice. We hope so, many on here are very fond of everything Airstream and to chat here extends our enjoyment of aluminum even when we cannot be on the road.

Ask away - answers will come - filter out what you do not like and use the information you do get to your benefit.

Travel Safe

Closed Thread