Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I JUST noticed where you live. Girl, there's a great "Airstream Only" campground in NJ. Check it out under "Reviews". I've only visited three Airstream parks, but guess what, two had units with "for sale" signs on them.

You might find the perfect A/S pretty much in your own back yard.

Paula
I'd love that- to find one in my area- I just started looking and have had the interest for a LONG time, and just got the means to afford the financial and chronological demands of using it the way I want.

I'm not set on this one, but the size and layout are about what I think I could actually live comfortably in.

Thank you again. Caroline
Old 08-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
:-)

the livability answer is yes. there are different layouts that work best for different folks. you have 2 couches, ours has one. i like all the windows you have, but in Florida, that might make it hotter inside. full awnings will help with that. will you like it, time will tell. that's why some folks have a few trailers, lol.

as for a pricing, go to New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews and Car Buying at NADA Guides and work the numbers. i won't say they're exact, but a ball park. i was shocked to find out a new refrigerator or A/C can cost $1500 each! axles can be needed but look fine, and cost almost as much, per axle.

i have family on the job too. none say that they could never be scammed. nobody knows what your family have researched or their field of expertise. there are new twists every day. even smart people can get taken.

we're in miami only for the winter. ingrid has wintered in florida for over 25 years. first in her '67 with her husband and then in her brand new '94 after a hurricane wrinkled her '67 with a tree.

i'm an aficionado by association with ingrid. two winters/8 months has me now willingly captured in aluminum! thanks for the offer, maybe i'll run into them. i currently stay with a helpful bunch similar to those here.

the only other think i'll mention is to inspect the title before you take the trailer for inspection. a few deals have been killed by DMV red tape.

best of luck to you!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #63
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Why are all these people warning you about this couple in particular? Do all these people know something you don't?

However, I do believe if someone confronted me with a warning from other people that I was a scam artist and I wasn't, I'd either hang up the phone or tell you what to do with the advise you'd been given. But I don't think I'd be offering to pay your expenses to come examine the trailer after you were obligated to buy it.
This post was moved from another thread by moderators that is now closed.

You seem to have done your "due diligence" on the sellers and are comfortable with them. That is what is important. Condition of the trailer is difficult to determine from photos, but if you are comfortable with the description and from conversations with the seller then that is what is important.

Many people live in Airstreams smaller than 34'. Paula lives in her Airstream full time and could give you some tips on space organization and how to optimize the spaces that you have. She even makes space for crafts in hers. So yes, you can live in this trailer. With the "lounge" layout in the salon area you could live and entertain quite comfortably.

Price is very subjective. Two years ago the smaller trailers were like gold they were so in demand. The longer trailers above 30' have always sold for less per linear foot because they were not so suited for camping as they are for full timing. NADA says a 1983 Excella has a range of $5-6,000. Obviously, that is way too low for this, or probably any 1983 that isn't a junker. That just goes to show that you can't go by price guides.

If you are bidding, put your top $$ amount in and you win with the top auction price under that amount or loose the auction. If you are going to buy locally, do as has been suggested and ask the seller how much she will take for it locally exclusive of the auction. She has a reserve and that would be the least she will take either in the auction or from a local buyer. That might be you. As much as you and she have talked, you two have established a rapport and she might be willing to tell you her "buy it now" price and make both of you happy. I'd say, if you are comfortable with the condition of the trailer and the sincerity of the seller, go for it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Internet Message Forums Breed Misunderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinePica View Post
The emails, the PM's- I gave the seller the info of one person who had something to say and her husband called him. The member wrote me back with a new attitude for the people- said they were "without hesitation good to do business with". I'm sure talking with them would change anyones mind- whatever the jealousy is. He's gotten raves from the references I called- the owner of the Antique Trailer Museum in Auburn California called him a genius and straight as they come.

His wife's an angel- absolutely- for whatever reason you folks here don't like either one- I'd certainly like to know. Posts were made that she was kicked off, why? I've seen some pretty aggressive posting here- one member called me 'pica which is my last name- why? Is that nice? Cute? I think its pretty harsh. You should respect people, especially a woman trying to find out some info- I don't care how many rivets or posts you have here.

The girls husband has a big collection- I'm sure he knows something...

Seriously, how much trouble can they give me with no money being sent upfront? Sounds like they're straight.
Caroline--

I just wanted to chime in here and say that in reading through the multiple threads, I see a lot of misunderstanding. That's natural and quite common on Internet message boards, because humans normally gain a very large percentage of their understanding in any conversation from NON-verbal cues. Tone of voice, facial expressions, body laungage-- these things all contribute to the final "communication" that occurs between one human and another, and these things are all missing from computer message boards. That's one reason all of these things were invented, though many people don't like using them: . These originated to fill in the gap that non-verbal communication normally bridges in regular human conversation.

So I'd like to point out a couple of things that you are free to read or ignore as you see fit .

1) The original warnings on this thread had nothing to do with the seller, they were just about some warning signs that seemed to pop up about this general type of deal. The people on this forum have a wide range of knowledge, not just about Airstreams, but about electronic sales thereof, and they've seen a lot of scams and know many of the warning signs. The people who mentioned that this might be a scam really are just trying to help you, because that's what the majority of people on this forum like to do.

2) There dfinitely CAN be some aggressive posters on this Forum. Not everybody around here is nice. But I don't think any references to "Pica" were meant to be insulting or derogatory-- it's a VERY common mesage board practice to shorten a moniker when typing. Sometimes it shows familiarity, sometimes it shows affection, sometimes it shows respect, and sometimes it's just because the person typing wants to save a few keystrokes. There are probably dozens of posts per day on this Forum that you could take offense to, but I don't think ones with that particular abbreviation are meant to be insulting.

3) You stated:
Quote:
...so that tells me that the forum membership isn't a prerequisite for trailer knowledge.
. And that's a very fair statement. Only a fraction of all Airstream owners, former owners, and wannabe owners post on this site, so it follows logically that there are likely thousands of people out there with great Airstream knowledge who do not post on this site. At the same time, this is the single largest repository of online Airstream wisdom on the planet, and although not everyone knows what they're talking about, a whole lot of people do. Using that collected intelligence is a wise thing and can really help you if you choose to listen.

Anyway, best of luck!

-Marcus
Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #65
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinePica View Post
... I've seen some pretty aggressive posting here- one member called me 'pica which is my last name- why?...

if the silly side didn't come through the keyboard, well that happens.

i would have never assumed u were using your real and full name on a board like this...

not many do, and often regret it later. it's a lot like buying site unseen or via ebay or any other cyber thing.

understand what u are getting into, protect yourself and it's ok to trust others but verify everything you can think of...

and generally don't use your real name and phone contact info in a forum...

because it's the things you don't think of that can bite later.

many of the forum titles are creative con-coctions based on something NOT related to a real name,

honestly i thought u might be a typesetter/printer/graphic artist from the carolinas....

or a bird lover.

so lets summarize...

-the trailer appears to be almost perfect, based on 77 pictures, and with better construction than newer units...

-one half of the seller team is a genius and master of all things 'stream while also being a highly regarded collector...

-the other half is an absolute angle, who purchased this unit with her OWN money (how else do you do it)...

-it's an auction, but they are willing to give you iron clan assurances and so on, that aren't part of the written auction process.

-you are totally scam proof because of family members in law enforcement.

-very clearly u only want feedback of PRICE and LIVABILITY, because everything else is covered.

-oh, and this is a first time rv/trailer/mobile home/living in a tin can i can tow it, event.

so is that close as a summary?

seldom are posts (mine) directed toward just one person, certainly none in this thread are.

you trust the sellers which is fine, no one has suggested they aren't trustworthy (and she is still a member here)

so why not just ask them 'what's a fair price?' and 'can i live in this thing?' given your evaluation of them...

the answers SHOULD be bankable ...

asking those questions here just opens a can of information worms that doesn't appear 2b wanted.

folks here have been generous enough to READ your notes and WRITE replies...

and as is typical, the members continue to do so, while trying to soften or re-explain what's already been posted.

NONE of us (that i'm aware of) have ANY vested interest in your purchase.

it's NOT a competition and NOONE is trying to win a debate, while many are just trying to HELP U, perhaps where u don't want help...

and in our own flawed ways.

buying this unit is the EASY part of the entire adventure.

after the purchase the challenges begin....

-the buyer doesn't have a tow vehicle, but relatives will handle that.
-the buyer isn't sure IF it's adequate for living needs (and hasn't clued us into those needs)
-the buyer might park it in jersey and florida, but where and at what cost aren't know.
-the buyer is a first time rv'er, and gives no clues as to capability to deal with rv systems, repairs and so on...

i wish u the absolute best in this adventure.
IF u are planning to LIVE FULL TIME in a stream, there is a lot to learn.
IF u think living in a stream is somehow less expensive than many stick house deals, think again.
IF u haven't visited some rv parks, u might wanna take a drive and get a feel for what's ahead...
IF u think living in a 30x7.5 space is easy or simple, close off JUST that space in one room of a house and try it.

whoops, these things have nothing to do with price and it's just a lecture anyway....

IF u really just want feedback on livability(is it big enough) and pricing...

a LOT more info is needed for meaningful answers.

folks would need to know a lot more about your living habits, stash, cash and vision...

here are some useless links for ya, consider looking at the FULL list of questions ipso' asked in 50+ threads....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...eed-31784.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...life-7374.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ads-22729.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ads-16425.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-rot-7704.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...lace-7081.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ions-7044.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ody-14493.html

again, BUYING IT is the easy part.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
I'm a novice with all this, but I know what I read.

Someone posted some things about ex-members, maybe that post is gone. Several were deleted and threads merged. I also received off board contact from members, warning me- thats not here, but I do have a list of what was said in my brain, and its not important- I've satisfied my questions about the people. Phone calls and contact off a message board are a bit more insightful.

Most people wouldn't say I was thin skinned, but if I've appeared that way, I guess its my own fault, so I apologize.

We'll see if the Excella makes it through the hurricane. Wish me luck. I really like the layout in that and haven't seen photos of another with that sofa set up. Caroline.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #67
_

. , .
merging the threads was a good idea, it should happen more,

when someone posts a series of questions ALL related to one unit, especially a ebay deal.

is posts were removed that's a question for the mod squad.

vendor disputes aren't permitted and IF posts included attacks of some sort, they might vanish too...

we all want to assume the best, but assumptions can be dangerous.

most folks get pretty hyped about grabbing their first stream...

it is exciting.

we like to believe the unit we are buying is some how special, a one of a kind or was once owned by philo t. farnsworth...

someone once stopped my to LOOK at my trailer...

she had been following me for miles telling her family about the unique hand planed exotic rainforest flooring that came in ALL 'stream...

rather than argue or explain the history of 'stream flooring, i just confessed...

"sorry to disapoint you, but mine was special ordered with vinyl sheet flooring"...

to which she replied, "well then THIS UNIT is really special, it will be a collectors model someday"...

a smiled, as she and her family who'd been honking at me for miles drove away as happy as could be ...

i sure liked her view of the future.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #68
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
... she had been following me for miles telling her family about the unique hand planed exotic rainforest flooring that came in ALL 'stream...

cheers
2air'
Wow - you had an aluminum stalker

I am delighted however to finally know the provenance of the original flooring in our trailer. I didn't know that burnt orange shag was a variety rainforest moss.... good to know.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #69
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
we like to believe the unit we are buying is some how special, a one of a kind or was once owned by philo t. farnsworth...
Isn't he the guy that invented the television?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #70
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
As usual, 2air has pointed out the obvious that everyone has overlooked. Many live in 34 footers and smaller units. Whether you can depends on you not us.

Price is a matter of what it is worth to you and the seller. Ask what she'll take and if it is worth it to you. That is the beginning of negotiation.

I think that covers it. Pretty obvious but not covered in five pages of post.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
folks.. none of my posts were removed... as an old geek I should've known that the fault is almost always a short between the seat and the keyboard.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
One of the most important things about buying anything is to buy with your head not your heart. If you don't buy this one believe me there WILL be other ones. This one is very nice but it was not the only one made like it, there were many of this year and make. Like was mentioned before I only wish you the best of luck with this AS or any AS. From what I have read of the sellers answers to questions on the sale it seems that she is on the up and up. Willing to let the AS be inspected before $$ is to be paid. That is a pretty good safety net. You are bidding against European buyers which will run the cost up higher then it would normally as Airstreams cost much more over seas and are impossible to find there, so they are willing to pay more. I feel that this one will top out at $12,500 or more (i'm guessing).

It took me about 6 months to find mine and am I glad I waited. The one I brought was very reasonable and needed little work.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 AM   #73
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I JUST noticed where you live. Girl, there's a great "Airstream Only" campground in NJ. Check it out under "Reviews". I've only visited three Airstream parks, but guess what, two had units with "for sale" signs on them.

You might find the perfect A/S pretty much in your own back yard.

Paula
I was there this past weekend, the only thing for sale was a Dodge 2500 and Ice.

Caroline, 959 miles from you to where you plan to go for 6 months of the year. That is a drive, you need to look at it as "on the road" The offer to, not put out anything till you have it looked at, is excellent and I would not worry too much with that set up.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I was there this past weekend, the only thing for sale was a Dodge 2500 and Ice.

Caroline, 959 miles from you to where you plan to go for 6 months of the year. That is a drive, you need to look at it as "on the road" The offer to, not put out anything till you have it looked at, is excellent and I would not worry too much with that set up.

Thanks for adding that in- I have a friend who's been to the couple parks in the area and nothing was for sale. I think what I found is unique, so I'm hoping to get a pleasant surprise in its condition.

I agree that its a fair way to protect both parties- they obviously have nothing to hide. I've heard enough horror stories, and really being new at these will make me extra cautious- and will avoid allowing me to buy on emotions.

Thank you again, Caroline
Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #75

1994 34' Legacy 34
Campbellsport , Wisconsin
Caroline,
My husband and I take our 34' AS Motorhome on a month long journey every spring. Last year 3700 miles and the year before 5093 miles. He doesn't drive! Plus many excoursions in between. Sometimes we pull a boat and other times haul a small motorcycle. I love going and the drive doesn't bother me. This year we re-decorated including new upholstery, had to fix some leaks and there is always maintenance. Doesn't matter - we love it. Our goal will be to retire in 3 years and travel full time. By the way, we purchased it on E-Bay 4 years ago.
Good luck!
Deb
Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Thanks you so much Deb-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannen View Post
Caroline,
My husband and I take our 34' AS Motorhome on a month long journey every spring. Last year 3700 miles and the year before 5093 miles. He doesn't drive! Plus many excoursions in between. Sometimes we pull a boat and other times haul a small motorcycle. I love going and the drive doesn't bother me. This year we re-decorated including new upholstery, had to fix some leaks and there is always maintenance. Doesn't matter - we love it. Our goal will be to retire in 3 years and travel full time. By the way, we purchased it on E-Bay 4 years ago.
Good luck!
Deb
I assume the size is the same, and I know that the little things happen, and I fully expect to drop money into it before I use and while I use it.

My theory- even though I have to admit being new- is that if I get it around the $10,000 mark, its nothing in comparison to what I've spent on monthly condo rentals- which in Florida are $2,500 per month in the places I stay- so 4 months and its paid for itself. AND, I have something to show for it in the end. I think I can hit IKEA on the way for some cute and lightweight knickknacks and have it like my own in a matter of days.

I appreciate your nice and positive input! Caroline
Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #77
_

. , .
5 days and 8 hours 2 go....

it's a curious thing, when someone TRYING to BUY a unit...

continues to promote the auction.

i don't get it.

regardless let's consider THIS trailer.

based on the pics the aluminum shell looks fine.

but we can tell NOTHING about the frame, subfloor, insulation or mechanicals...

1. fridge

having replaced the rv style fridge with a household ac unit is a problem.

these fridges don't travel as well and obviously only operate on 110 v power.

and who knows what was done to "FIT" the fridge into the space.

i'd prefer a unit with the original fridge or an rv specific 2 or 3 way unit, even if not operable.

2. floorplan...

the L lounge floorplan (2 sofas) isn't rare, u can still get one that way.

friends with that layout and like it because MORE PEOPLE can sit.

but for a solo person OR maximizing floor space or storage or LIVING space it isn't ideal.

think about where the tele might go? and other stash we have.

this is NOT a wide body so that section of open floor area is small and narrow relative to newer units...

and new upholstery for 2 sofas is expensive.

the sofas DO come out easily and i' prefer the sofa/chair set up vaughn has or 2 chairs and no sofa.

of course ONCE u make those nifty and needed living area changes the original 'special' floor plan is irrelevant.

3. flooring

it LOOKS like the pergo stops at the sofa fronts. the only way to know is LOOKING inside the sofa storage.

IF the original blue carpet is under the sofas, that's an issue for odors, moisture and so on....

plus removing a sofa to restyle the living area becomes a problem, because there is NO pergo in that space.

4. shower?

there are no shots of the shower in the auction.

so i'd assume the shower pan and multifaceted shower walls need work and the seams leak...

perhaps the shower is PERFECT, but since it's not shown assume otherwise.

5. sleeping area

no bed room shots, again thats odd. does the pergo extended into the bedroom or not?

from outside it looks like a twin bed model. lots of folks like twins and they do improve space availability.

also one can be taken OUT for a desk area.

but does this unit have 25 year old mattresses?

the a/s fitted twins are still available but not for free (unless u dumpster dive in j/c)

6. awnings...

lots of awning assemblies. but NO shots of the fabric. at 25 they could be in great shape or not.

replacement cloth isn't inexpensive.

7. usage/history....

all sellers exaggerate some, but has this unit REALLY only been used a few weeks yearly for 25 years?

that reads like 'driven to church on sunday' and if it's true, i'd still be concerned about axles, brakes, hubs and so on...

8. interior and weight issues...

this unit is "pre oak" interior, with tambour stuff.

i like tambour, it's light and functional BUT how are the panels and plastic mechanicals?

this is a lighter trailer (good) for 34 but the carry capacity still be small, gotta check the factory ticket and weights.

9. price

the price can get skewed favorably for international buyers, PRIMARILY because of the current exchange rate.

but shipping adds to their burden. a unit like this might just get parked in the u.k. and the electrical stuff will all get ripped out anyway.

for a savy u.s. buyer who can replace axles, ALL 3 OF THEM,

do brakes and bearings (SIX), change out interior easily (smell aside), and otherwise "FIX 'ER UP" for material costs...

this might be a good buy under 7-8k$, (floor, window and leaks aside) just expect to DOUBLE the purchase price in repairs.

when someone else DOES the work labor charges drive up repair costs significantly...

hiho' are u watching this one?

cheers
2air'

Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #78
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Another interesting, but irrelevant question, is who is the bidder that has bid the same amount more than 25 times? If you look at the total bids, it looks like a lot of people have bid on this auction, but in reality only about 3 have, and one of them the exact same amount over and over again.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Another interesting, but irrelevant question, is who is the bidder that has bid the same amount more than 25 times? If you look at the total bids, it looks like a lot of people have bid on this auction, but in reality only about 3 have, and one of them the exact same amount over and over again.
The bidder that has bid 25 times in a row on this auction is a new bidder on ebay. He has 0 feedback which means he has never bought or sold anything on ebay. He has no idea what he is doing. These bids must be bids of $100 each because you can't bid the same amount each time, each one must be higher. This adds $2500.00 to the sale price of the AS. Of course someone else must bid against him to get it to go any higher. A bidder like this can ruin an auction if other bidders realize this they may stop biding and it may never reach the reserve. I have sold over 1000 items on ebay and have banned 0 feedback bidders from bidding unless they email me first. I have never ever seem anyone do what this guy did most of the time even new bidders will stop after the 5th or 6th time. On another note it may be a auction shill. Which is worse.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #80
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover View Post
... I have sold over 1000 items on ebay and have banned 0 feedback bidders from bidding unless they email me first. I have never ever seem anyone do what this guy did most of the time even new bidders will stop after the 5th or 6th time. On another note it may be a auction shill. Which is worse.
In general I think that buying and selling on e-bay from someone with 0 feedback is risky. I wouldn't buy a high ticket item from a seller with no feedback unless I could see the trailer and meet the seller PRIOR to the sale and see the title.

AirForums Custom Search
Closed Thread