Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Buyer Beware - Airstream could be good or could be bad - must inspect first.
Thanks, again, I will not pay for it without inspecting it, even though I know very little about inspecting Airstreams, and I feel the couple that's offering it are very reliable, I will go and sniff, and poke, and see it.

Again, I'm not looking for anti-rip off advice. I'm looking for a possible value on what an apparently nice, clean, working 34' Excella, made in 1983, with 3 new tires, with no dents, without major problems, is worth- like a range, perhaps a high and low book value.

After speaking personally with these folks several times, checking with some references that seemed to be well respected vintage trailer collectors, I'd fall down dead if they were lying. Not the type, not with the references I called.

Thanks for all the concern. I do hope its as nice and clean as it appears.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Instead of asking us to blindly tell you what to pay, here is a link to a price / condition worksheet that should give you a better idea of what to add, or subtract for a trailer:

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
This site may be helpful for you to determine what it's worth. Also, look in the classifieds here on this site and check KBB and NADA pricing.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
one other thing to consider is if the current owners really know what shape it is in. buying a trailer is a lot like buying a house. one thing that is not like a house is that you get to pick the location, location, location!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Thank you Terry-

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Instead of asking us to blindly tell you what to pay, here is a link to a price / condition worksheet that should give you a better idea of what to add, or subtract for a trailer:

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
I looked at it, unfortunately its only for up to 31' and only in the 70's.

I'm going to base part of my max price on that and whatever info I can gather. There is a similar trailer- a 1986 Excella 31 on eBay thats 19K, so I think I can get it for closer to 10K, based on the conversations with the girl who owns it. Now I just need to get there in time.

I appreciate the link, thanks again. Caroline
Old 08-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
have you DONE this deal yet????? there WAS A SCAM going around using this format not long ago.. Use an Escrow service till you GET EYES on it AND THE TITLE!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #35
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinePica View Post
...I obviously understand the basics of an auction- I'm trying to buy it "locally" if I can get down to it. I'm just looking for a max number to put on it...
well it helps to be specific with questions like these.

so u aren't actually looking for an auction "bid" price, but rather a 'buy it now' in person price?

and all ya want is a dollar figure, because every other issue/circumstance is accounted for?

it really isn't a lecture to suggest that condition matters on pricing of all old streams...

even if it only gets moved 2x a year, IF it is going several 100 or 1000 miles....

brakes, hubs, tires and especially AXLES matter, unless u are gonna flat-bed-trailer-move-it...

just making the unit road worthy for ONE trip could cost some bucks.

which affects pricing.

the issues of 'move in ready' vs 'needs some work to use' also affect pricing.

and maybe how it SMELLS is irrelevant in this transaction, just like the towing and TITLE and leaks/condition.

so an offer really should include all these things, but if it doesn't then the offer should...

however much u can afford to lose IF it's not worth the buying price.

3-5 grand $$ tops, for a 'collectors' unit (meaning buynsell without improvements) as u have described this seller.

while a 80s 34 that is tight, fully functioning and with up to date appliances, running gear, interior...

with a clean IN HAND TITLE and that smells nice...

could be good buy at 10-15k$ and polished might bring 1000s more.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Question inspectors

Some where in this forum is a list of inspectors who are willing to look at units in their area. Can someone lead this gal to the list?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #37
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You can search list from the portal page, right column.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 08-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
$10 K is a lot of $$

Basic rule = you never ever buy sight unseen

A 1983 is old and will have issues

Fly - drive - walk and look

Take it too the nearest Airstream dealer and pay $200 for inspection

Seller doesn't want to do that? There's your answer.

There are a lot of '34s for sale and many are very nice

I full timed in a '34 Avion resulting in some of the best times in my life
Old 08-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
If you feel comfortable with the seller and the references they've provided.,ask them what they want to buy it outright. Even the most honest person can be ignorant of potential problems and once you buy it they become your problems, No response given so far suggest that you're "stupid". The answers you've received are looking out for your best interest even if you aren't. Due diligence is the name of the game.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
To help you with the price, I paid $10,000 for a 34' 1987 that was in decent shape. No big problems. We changed out the flooring, redid the couch then decided we didn't need such a big trailer and resold it for $18,000. That was about 3 years ago. I would not pay more then $7-8000 for a 83 now, If it was in good shape.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Old 08-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
If you feel comfortable with the seller and the references they've provided.,ask them what they want to buy it outright. Even the most honest person can be ignorant of potential problems and once you buy it they become your problems, No response given so far suggest that you're "stupid". The answers you've received are looking out for your best interest even if you aren't. Due diligence is the name of the game.

Thanks, I can appreciate what you're saying, I'm working in that direction.

I think that unless someone has actually taken one of these apart and knows the whole construction, its a hard thing to determine, but with what knowledge I've found the sellers husband has, I'm sure he knows what's there as well as anyone. They seem to be extremely upfront and straightforward.

But who knows, maybe they'll rip me off and I'll deserve the "we told you so's" that I'd get.

Thank you for taking the time to help address this. Caroline
Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
To help you with the price, I paid $10,000 for a 34' 1987 that was in decent shape. No big problems. We changed out the flooring, redid the couch then decided we didn't need such a big trailer and resold it for $18,000. That was about 3 years ago. I would not pay more then $7-8000 for a 83 now, If it was in good shape.
Hi, This one has a brand new and nice looking Pergo floor, and the story I heard was not to buy newer than 1985 because there was a switch to particle board or something in the floors, rather than plywood, and its not as durable in humidity. I'll be between the Jersey shore and places like Sarasota or the Keys, so humidity will always be an issue.

I'm sure I can't get it for the money you suggest- its much nicer- at least in photos- and I saw 77 of them- than any other that I've seen advertised.

Really thankful that you took the time to try and help me- its the first real numbers on a 34 that I've gotten, so thanks. Caroline