Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover View Post
Has anyone noticed just how many other Airstreams are parked around this AS. I count at least 5.
Looks like photos from where it was parked before the seller got hold of it, possibly Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Terry ... Big Blue (hint)

But a better puzzle (thanks SaabLover) is finding the 5 other A/S's that are around the one for sale. I eventually found all 5.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover View Post
Has anyone noticed just how many other Airstreams are parked around this AS. I count at least 5.
I think you'll find this set of pics were taken by the PO when the AS was in it's last home. This dealer does, however, have a number of Airstreams for sale, I see 7 illustrated, on his UK-eBay page. But then, anyone can collect photos of Airstreams

Marc
Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I think you'll find this set of pics were taken by the PO when the AS was in it's last home. This dealer does, however, have a number of Airstreams for sale, I see 7 illustrated, on his UK-eBay page. But then, anyone can collect photos of Airstreams

Marc
Hi, I did ask about that- she said her husband is a collector. She said she took all the photos on this listing, and had them in her camera. But I'm not clear on what they did wrong. Do you have some info that will help me? I certainly don't want to lose my money.

Not for nothing- I did look on your site, Marc, and asking $50000 for a similar condition trailer would lead one to think that his asking price of 12000 pounds Sterling makes you a bit biased. Its half price- and bigger with a nice layout. If you're competing, should you bash her?

If there is something wrong with her, I'd be really surprised- although I guess you just never know these days. I wouldn't hesitate to call the police if they're on some type of scam operation. I've not the cash or patience for ripoffs and games. I'd definitely drive and do the deal in person, with my brother, to pick it up with his truck.

The internet is an amazing place, thats for sure.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
If I am not mistaken, the pictures of the Ebay Airstream are from Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne Florida
Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
make sure you verify vin numbers.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
All of us on this forum have seen so many scams that involve the selling of Airstreams on eBay or craigslist we have threads dedicated to them. When I first started looking I found one on eBay that is very similar to the one you are looking at. It was a 1991 Excella 34' in near mint condition. The more I pressed the seller I became more and more suspicious. My advice to you is that do not hand over any $$ until till you see said AS and see a title. What tipped me was that they would not let me come and see the unit. There was always some reason that I could not see it. At that point I stopped the deal.

Now not all sales are scams I did buy my AS threw craigslist and couldn't be happier. But I went and saw unit first and than made my deal.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
Scams

I bought my first Airstream from a couple living in a town nearby. I was still nervous about spending that kind of money thru a private transaction. I saw the trailer on Craigslist originally, and we communicated by email and phone. Fortunately, it was only 50 miles away. To prevent any type of fraud, I went with the original owners to my bank first, had a cashier's check withdrawn on my account, then we all went to their bank, where the title was held on a lien. the whole process went very smoothly and everyone was agreeable that was the safest way to do it.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
34 on eBay- What should I offer?

Whats a safe offer for the 1983 Excella? Seems really clean, looks like what I want, just don't want to pay too much.

Before I start getting advice about scams and how to transact- my dad was a cop, my brother works in high level security. I checked some references given by the seller, and her husband is a genius in old trailers with all the right answers, and connections.

Just a number- whats it worth? I want to make an offer and not lose it in the auction. Thanks for any credible advice.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #24
_

. , .
hi 'pica...

does that refer to font/type size (12)?

or the birds who were believed to gather almost ANYTHING for a nest?

or the medical condition were folks crave and eat things of little or no nutritional value...

like lead or ice or dirt or in this case aluminum....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinePica View Post
...Just a number- whats it worth? I want to make an offer and not lose it in the auction. Thanks for any credible advice.
u want credible abvice on the LOWEST price it will take to WIN an auction?

r u serious?

imo ANY $$ offer is NOT SAFE for a trailer that hasn't been personally inspected.

and even first hand inspected my not be useful, IF u don't know what to look for....

IF your goal is to buy this unit sight unseen and at the lowest possible price...

posting about it is even more confusing.

it's an AUCTION, so who knows what it will take to win, but broadcasting here about the auction...

can only increase the final $$ amount, if it's a worthy trailer.

is that your goal? to drum up interest in THIS auction?

the initial purchase price of ANY 25 year old trailer is secondary to...

-it's history of use and abuse and maintenance
-the CURRENT condition
-any needed repairs that are immediate or looming
-health status of the basic structure (shell, seals, windows, floor, frame, axles, brakes, hubs, plumbing and electric systems)
-condition of the appliances and cost of USING or replacing each
-interior styling, the floor plan, and how it SMELLS INSIDE!
-exterior finish, trim, tires, seals, sealants, hitch and so on...
-and WHERE IT LEAKS (not IF but WHERE) right now.

it's a lot like BUYING a free horse....

or deciding what to drag home for the magpie's nest.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Even if you offer the right price someone else may be willing to pay more than it is worth. Decide what you are willing to pay and make it your high. Of course you are taking your chances if it's traveling you want to do. What are you going to pull it with, it's really really big. If you are looking for a seasonal then some the condition may be easier to work with as it won't leave you on the side of the road.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A safe offer is One Dollar, American. Without seeing the trailer and the title in person, and doing an inspection, anything more would be a potential waste of money. Many trailers, and other things, on Ebay are what is known as "polished turds", that look good in photos, but when you see it in person, it is horrible.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Bank , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
Even if you offer the right price someone else may be willing to pay more than it is worth. Decide what you are willing to pay and make it your high. Of course you are taking your chances if it's traveling you want to do. What are you going to pull it with, it's really really big. If you are looking for a seasonal then some the condition may be easier to work with as it won't leave you on the side of the road.

Good luck.
Thanks- I'm not ever going to travel with it- just park it here and there for extended periods- I have no truck, but my brother does, and he'll take it where I want- Jersey for 6 months in summer, Panama City for 6 months in winter- that type usage. Vacation home with tires. Extended vacations.

I obviously understand the basics of an auction- I'm trying to buy it "locally" if I can get down to it. I'm just looking for a max number to put on it- $8K? $10K? $15K? What do they go for? I'm new just looking for some assistance- not these folks lecturing me. I'm really not THAT stupid.

Again, thanks for your help. Caroline
Old 08-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Buyer Beware - Airstream could be good or could be bad - must inspect first.