Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
She's a beauty Ryan. Sounds like a great plan.

Oh yes and Welcome to the fourm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Ryan
Thanks for the advice! I plan to downsize a lot of junk I have so I won't need much storage. I have never had a trailer before, so I doubt I will miss what I don't know about or have expierence with.
I went and did the walk-though on the trailer today. Now I am really excited to get into it! I bought the extended wty for 7 years, it was an additional $2175 but I felt it was worth it after all I have heard from others.
Wish me luck! I start moving friday, and then I will have the trailer delivered next week sometime.
I can hardly wait!!!
PICS:

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi and welcome to the forums. You have a cool looking 28 footer to rough it in with your boston terrier. I have a rat terrier and as soon as I start to hook up he knows he gets to go somewhere. Hope you will be able to travel some while you build up your new business and Good Luck.
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Auburn , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
Hi and welcome to the forums. You have a cool looking 28 footer to rough it in with your boston terrier. I have a rat terrier and as soon as I start to hook up he knows he gets to go somewhere. Hope you will be able to travel some while you build up your new business and Good Luck.
Yea, I hope to travel aswell. I will need to buy a truck to tow the AS with as I only have 2 BMW's now, neither of which are an X5....
I am going to vegas in 5 weeks, and then to Italy in September, but hopefully I can take the trailer for a weekend or 2 between now and then aswell.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em comming!
M3 Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
That's a good looking rig! Congratulations, I like the accent color.

There are 3 things you should do immediately after getting it (IMO).
  1. Pull the floor register and tape some window screen to the bottom around the edges. It will keep a lot of stuff from dropping down into the ductwork.
  2. Get a small tube of clear caulk and do the corners of the shower. There is a 99.44% certainty that it will leak.
  3. Enjoy!
Make that 99.999999999999% - we own the 2005 version of the same model and it is on it's second door (the first was installed upside down) and both leaked. The leak WILL occur in the corner by the hinge - you'll notice that the aluminum track doesn't terminate with a lip and water that drips on the track runs right off.

Best of luck -I hope you love yours as much as we do ours!!!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , California
Just an update...

I wanted to update this thread. I have been living in the airstream for almost 3 weeks now and I love it. Granted, I am going a little stir crazy but thats because the weather was bad, I have no phone/internet/cable and my DVD selection is rather small. I got my 26" Toshiba Regza LCD TV installed and put a car DVD/MP3/CD/AM/FM radio in place of the factory stereo.
I have the sewer hooked into the septic system so it makes for easy draining of the tanks. I also hooked up my city-water hose so I don't have to listen to that loud waterpump anymore.
I got the electrical wired up aswell. I had to trench up 500' of my property, (250 in each direction) to get all my underground utilities in place, but its all done and it looks much cleaner now.
The trailer is sitting on a leveled gravel pad and I will be installing an aluminum 18'x21' canopy over the trailer with room for parking my car next to it.
Anyhow, here are some pics of how it looks. These are a week or 2 old and its looking more settled now that it does in these.

The airstream matches my M3 quite well I think...

Next week I am building a deck around the side of the trailer to make a patio area that incorporates my spa aswell. This will give me a nice place to relax in the evening that is outside the trailer and for BBQ's/entertaining company.
Thanks for the advice guys, you were all right- the shower leaks at the corners (I fixed it) and the floor register gets crap down it. I am trying to see how long I can make a bottle of propane last, current bottle is on day 10 and is almost empty.
I would enjoy a bit more hot water from the water heater, so once this one goes bad I will probably get an instant tankless water heater instead so I can take a longer shower than 3min. Other than that, its comfortable for a single young guy like myself!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Looks great!
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
That is all kinds of hot. Congratulations so far! Post pics when you start to put up the canopy, deck & spa; would love to see the progress.
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Cool!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Ryan - Looks great - both trailer and the E30.
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My Favorite CCD

Is that 28 with that color scheme. I think I prefer the black wood to the 2008 dark brown.

About the shower, if you're going tankless be very careful to get one that is specifically designed for installation inside an RV or boat. Most are designed for residential clearances and would be a fire hazard in an RV. I did see a tankless heater designed to be hung on an RV Ladder or even a tree for an outside shower - which with your setup would probably be fine. It was in the latest Camping World I got. I was looking at it and wondering if it would be possible to put a "Y" on the input side of the conventional heater, tap in the exterior tankless and "power shower" inside (at least during winter). I've adjusted to having six gallons - and I too like long showers. If you've got an inflatable hot tub/spa to use outside then do the Japanese thing - a quick wash and rinse, then a long hot soak.

Paula
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #31
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Tim Shepard, host of the VAP, installed a TwinTemp tankless hot water heater in his 1960 Ambassador. Unlimited hot water for unlimited showers. Sounds like just what you need.

PrecisionTemp.com: For Recreational Vehicles and Boats
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Ryan
Hey all-
This is my first post. I am changing my lifestyle (a lot!) and decided to buy 2 acres of land for my new airstream, I quit my job, opened my own business, and now I can start to enjoy life!!
I just bought a new, 2007 28' International CCD with the dark (black) wood and turquoise accent interior. I have never owned a trailer before nor have I lived in one for more than a weekend. I still need a tow vehicle for it, I am having it delivered to me next week.

I am setting up a pad on my land that will have water/power/sewer hook-ups so I will be able to comfortably stay in the airstream full-time. I will be building a house over the next 2 years but I will be working on my new business first (bmw service/custom fab shop).

Is there anything I just have to know/do to make my experience as fun as possible? I am 25yrs old, single and I have an 11lb Boston Terrier who will be "roughing" it with me.
Thoughts?
Concerns?
Tid-Bits of knowledge I can't live without?
Congrats M3....Listen I'm new to this forum and i see you are too. I am thinking about going the route also, and ditching the home/apartment and living full time in a Airstream...How do you like it thus far? When traveling what type of vehicle will you be using to tow it? What can you tell me about the security features of your Airstream? Are the doors secure?
What about water? where do you get more when you run out?
I know, I know, alot of questions...
NYPANAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPANAMA
Congrats M3....Listen I'm new to this forum and i see you are too. I am thinking about going the route also, and ditching the home/apartment and living full time in a Airstream...How do you like it thus far? When traveling what type of vehicle will you be using to tow it? What can you tell me about the security features of your Airstream? Are the doors secure?
What about water? where do you get more when you run out?
I know, I know, alot of questions...
Water: I am hooked up full-time to my city water source (hose to side of trailer, constant pressure/supply)
Doors: very secure, I live on 2 acres in a fairly remote and totally safe area, but it IS secure. Handle locks aswell as a deadbolt (but I never use the deadbolt). All windows are secure as they can be but are tempered glass so you *could* easily break into it... Just hope it never happens and thank goodness for homeowners insurance should this occur.
Likes: convienent- everything is in here (minus a microwave/toaster/computer, supply your own) Comfortable- plenty of seating, VERY comfortable bed (I had a memory foam mattress I love, this bed rivals it and I'm a VERY picky sleeper!)
Dislikes: propane everything- I use a bottle per week so that means taking one in to the gas station every weekend which is a bit of a hastle and is $21 per fill-up, I will probably get a 250gal tank for my shop anyhow so this issue may be over soon.... Cabin temperature fluxuates a lot in the evening as the heater is either ON or OFF and not the best climate control. Bundle up in the winter, not that big of an issue.
Tow Vehicle: both of my cars are BMW E30's- the M3 pictured above, and this convertible as featured in eurotuner last month: 1992 BMW 325i - The Technician's Touch - Eurotuner Magazine
In order for me to tow this baby, I will need a truck of some kind. I plan to buy a Diesel truck sometime this year, but I don't know what I will get yet. I just bought a 5000lb capacity forklift today (gotta have toys for work right?) so a truck would be handy to have now anyhow. I am sure others will comment on what they use, but its 5300lbs DRY, call it 6k with fluids and no luggage. Just find a truck/van with 6k towing capacity and you should be just fine.
All in all, I am very happy with my decision on the airstream. I will have time to build my dream home now and not be rushed into anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya001
Ryan - Looks great - both trailer and the E30.
Ah, wasn't sure if any airstreamers would know what an E30 was, Thanks!! I am a BMW tech, so cars are my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockLives
That is all kinds of hot. Congratulations so far! Post pics when you start to put up the canopy, deck & spa; would love to see the progress.
I will keep this thread updated as I get things more settled. I am starting on the deck tomorrow so hopefully by next week it will be finished and the hot tub will be full of water. This will lower my issue with the short showers too since I can take a nice long soak in the tub.

RoverOwner- Thanks for the link on that heater. I read all the info, but there isn't a cost for the unit. Do you know the price? It sounds like the perfect solution!!