Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 06:13 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, and retirement is about choosing what to do with your time, which is huge.

One of the best decisions we ever made was to take that early retirement leap.

Maggie
Old 02-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Yep, and retirement is about choosing what to do with your time, which is huge.

One of the best decisions we ever made was to take that early retirement leap.

Maggie
I agree.
Now if I could only convince my DW that we should downsize.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On the other hand, I retired, learned a new certification, and because of that, got dragged back to work at a dream computer geek’s job.

You just don’t know what will happen, but hey, I’m staying busy...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
You MUST read this book: "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo. It is a game changer, and will make deciding what to keep and what to get rid of, so much easier!
So I did read this book at your recommendation. Very good book with good advice and easy to read in a few hours.

I'm listing the 4,000 sq ft home with a realtor in two weeks. I've bought a 1,500 sq ft home and have been getting it ready to move into. It feels like a tiny house compared to the current one.

As I pack, I'm taking the author's advice - pull everything out and put them in groups together. I have soooooooo many towels, way too many tools, duplicates and triplicates of seemingly everything I own. How did I ever get to this point? I'm trying like crazy to sell furniture, donate clothes, throw away trash. I've gotten rid of a LOT, but there is still a LOT that remains. The deadline is a couple of weeks away, and I seriously don't know how I'm going to have time to get rid of the rest. I wanted to have a garage sale, but the weather just will not cooperate. I have one more free weekend before moving day, so I'm hoping I can have the garage sale then.

It has been very enlightening, however. I have this dream of having only 4 coffee cups, 4 plates, 4 bowls, 4 towels, etc. But every time I turn around, I find 6 more of everything. It's as if it multiplies in the cupboard when I'm not looking. hahahaha

Keep me in your thoughts, though. I will get through this purging process eventually.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you!

I raised two children in about a 1200 square foot house. they are now grown with families of their own, and husband has died...me and the dog find the small space a great plenty, and easy to maintain.

I predict that you will be glad.

If you aren’t able to have a garage sale, there should be places locally that will take all your excess household stuff in good condition, and some will even come and pick it up...call around to local social service agencies, ask questions, and I guarantee you will find willing recipients.

Although not the same as bringing in a little cash, better than having to leave useful items at the curb, and your donation would be tax deductible.

Some places will re-sell your items, others will store them to give to people starting over for whatever reason.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 02-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Good luck!

Maggie
Thanks, Maggie! And yes, the 'backup plan' is to donate the excess stuff to an agency that will come and get it.

I am soooooo looking forward to having a smaller house, less stuff, and a simpler existence. My goal is to have my little house still look rather empty!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Upon my divorce, I went from a 4K sq ft waterfront home to a 400 sq ft 1-bedroom apartment. It took a lot of time disposing of all my "treasures collected over the decades," but when I finally got my head around living so simply in 400 sq ft, it was a HUGE relief. My best wishes to you with the process --- "this, too, shall pass."
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:27 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
May I suggest checking out a way to get all your excess stuff to the Texas Gulf Coast? Lots of less fortunate folks starting over with nothing after last years hurricane Harvey flooding.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
I loved my job for 15 years. Disliked it for 5, but a mortgage and kids in high school kept me there. For the last 12 years, I neither liked it nor disliked it. It paid the bills and set up retirement which I took at 55. I spent those last years thinking about all the things I wanted to put energy into that were not work. Hiking, biking, paddling, fishing, etc. When I quit, these became my job, with time dedicated to them and goals set. We camped a lot before retirement and for the last 8 years have managed to spend 4 months a year in the camper. The time isn't one of the goals, but seems like a pretty good amount for my wife and me. I don't think either of us would want to full time. Perhaps like other things in life, I want a little more and she wants a little less. So we are where we are.

Simply staying in campgrounds would get old pretty fast for us so we target our activities. Hiking, biking, paddling, and fishing. We travel with 1 or 2 canoes and 4 bicycles.

If there is a point, its this: Living in the camper is a means and not an end.

Our idea of travel is 200 miles followed by 2 nights somewhere nice (not a roadside RV park or a Walmart). We don't get anywhere fast this way, but I have found that outside of Texas, there are pretty places within 200 miles of each other that deserve exploring. Whats the rush anyway.

When we get where we are going, we stay two to six weeks, depending on lots of things.

State parks are better and cheaper, but require lots of planning. They fill up within days of when reservations open. Driveways are great. We boondock very little, but I would like to change that. My wife not so much. So we compromise and don't boondock.

Hiking, biking, and paddling are cheap. Fishing is not. We spend less money per day on everything (including the homestead) than we do when we are home.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:27 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
May I suggest checking out a way to get all your excess stuff to the Texas Gulf Coast? Lots of less fortunate folks starting over with nothing after last years hurricane Harvey flooding.
I wish I could, but I just don't have the time to drive to Texas.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:29 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelk View Post
Hiking, biking, and paddling are cheap. Fishing is not. We spend less money per day on everything (including the homestead) than we do when we are home.
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if daily expenses would be more while traveling than while staying at home. I know it depends on what activities I like and campground fees, but it's good to know that it can be done for less than just staying at home!
Old 02-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
I wish I could, but I just don't have the time to drive to Texas.
The large charities that take household donations have distribution systems in place, and can/do route items to disaster zones.

When we retired and began extensive travel, we found it much less expensive than we feared.

Although travel can be very expensive, that is largely dependent on individual choices....several threads here on that subject, full of tips from seasoned travelers on how to keep costs down if that’s what you want or need to do.

Maggie