Old 01-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
However, also consider your chassis lube... many times that is overlooked... but, it can be done within a few minutes without a lot of attention... once you know where the zerks are...
Yup. I've got a rechargeable Green Filter on the Ram.

I think before we take off I'm going to get a second one, and switch back and forth between them. I've been on road trips out west where the filter gets filthy long before it's service interval.

Towing, especially a lot of it, if you're a full timer actually speeds up some of the intervals. On the Ram, it's recommended to replace the diff fluid every 18K if towing regularly.

So I expect, Oil, Air Filter and probably the diff twice a year. Depends on how much driving we do.

I've got a Mag-Hytec diff cover on the rear that has a dip stick so I can keep track of it.

I personally am going to do all the big stuff before we hit the road.

The Ram being a 4x4 I can crawl front to back without jacking the vehicle to change the oil.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How do you handle your vehicle maintenance on the road?

I'm not in favor of non paper engine air filters. Oil analysis tends to steer one away. That said, a build up is not necessarily a problem when pressure can be measured. Some types flow best with a half inch build up. Verify with manufacturer.

Look to see if you can add a band of pre filter material to service instead.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I only favor paper in one place, turbo's with MAF sensors. Actually I hate MAF sensors, wish I had all the money back wasted on blown ones and LSX engines.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I asked this question on Instagram without much input unfortunately: Instagram

Background:

I've been changing my oil myself since I was 16yrs old. And if you've followed my feed long enough you know I'm a DIYer and car guy. A matter of fact, I just serviced my front transfer case, rotated my tires and changed my oil this weekend. Next weekend I'm doing a complete coolant flush since my truck is now 5yrs old.

Question"

This is the one thing I can't solve outside of Jiffy Lube type places and Costco. Is that just what full-time folks on the road do? Take their rigs to shops or dealers for all service? Do I need to budget for over priced oil changes?

Are there others who get by with the AutoZone/Walmart parking lot redneck style oil change?

Tips, advice, thoughts? Really curious. As much as I see budgets floating around, vehicle maintenance almost never seems mentioned. Let alone where the money went in regards to DIY vs Paid work.

Another take is the penalty weight of tools. 300-lbs would hardly be considered a full complement. Much of that is a question of frequency of use, thus why I tend to focus more on the TT. Diagnostic tools aren't cheap, but they weigh less and save more than would spring compressors and pickle forks.

The space requirements, the dirt & grease, and mainly the weight when looking at how to be most effective in choosing tools plus supplies has to be figured.

A fluid change or two isn't enough of a savings compared to the tools needed to diagnose then fix or have repaired three-way reefer unit electronic controls and the savings therein. Weight, dollars and space.

In the last house I had an old A/C compressor nearing its end. I went through seven contractors lying to me before I found one willing to make my correctly diagnosed repair needed. (My diagnosis not revealed beforehand). $5000 or about $200.

RV service seems predicated on people being unaware, impatient, and being willing to hand over the card.

Thus a complement of books and manuals. I wouldn't trust that the Net is always available. Space, protection from climate, and weight also figure. Knowledge of the problems is worth more than minor savings per some services.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I used to do my own oil changes and still do on my cars, but my F-150 is just too much of a pain. The filter is up under the air cleaner intake and is best reached from the top, but when it is loosened the oil drains down all over parts of the suspension and is a mess to clean up. I could get a remote filter mount, but it is over $150, so I have been taking it to the dealer. A couple of changes ago they didn't put in enough oil when they refilled it. I found it when I checked it (unfortunately on the road). I went back and they re-did the oil change and gave me a coupon for another free change. Recently I paid for a transmission service, but I think they didn't change the filter. On a trip to NC the truck lost power and started making noises, even though the temperature gauge was normal. As a preventative measure I took it in to my mechanic (whom I trust implicitly) for a transmission service when we got back. The fluid was slightly discolored and the original filter was still in the transmission and very dirty. No more dealer service for me! I'll have my mechanic do the oil changes from now on, even if he is a little more expensive.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Another take is the penalty weight of tools. 300-lbs would hardly be considered a full complement. Much of that is a question of frequency of use, thus why I tend to focus more on the TT. Diagnostic tools aren't cheap, but they weigh less and save more than would spring compressors and pickle forks.

The space requirements, the dirt & grease, and mainly the weight when looking at how to be most effective in choosing tools plus supplies has to be figured.

In my experience there are other things that fail long before most electronics fail. Light bulbs being the exception to that rule. During my overland days, I built a tool kit with only the tools that worked on our Trailblazer, with a focus of tools needed to repair the things most likely to break. This involved sockets and wrench for known sizes on the suspension, alternator, battery, etc.

So rather than taking a full mechanics toolbox of sizes I may never need, I had only the sizes found on my truck, and tools specific to certain tasks. It lightened the tool load by a lot.

I plan on doing something similar, I have the sizes figured out for the truck. For the Airstream I still have to decided on a few basic pieces, some of the truck stuff crosses over with the Airstream for doing things like fixing the brakes and repacking the axle bearings.

But the intent of this thread is just to discuss Tow Vehicle Maintenance.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
On the road I go to a Dodge dealer or a quick oil station and get it done. Have had several of the bigger scheduled service things like differential lube changes and transmission band adjustment done on the road too. I trust my local dealer more but so far have managed to pick good places. Been to Dodge dealers and oil change shops in Alaska, British Columbia, Washington., Montana, NewFoundland, Florida, Tennessee, and probably some more. I do carry 75 lbs or so of tools but do not often need them. I go to my local dealer when at home and try to get most of my need repair work there.