Old 09-16-2006, 12:43 AM   #15
1974 27' Overlander
scottsdale , Arizona
living in a airstream

I'm excited about living in my airstream, even though it will be in a park which isn't cheap. Space won't be a problem, since I will be going semi-retired and working part-time, will have a 8x10 large closet.

I want to lead a "simpler" life which to me means finding things to do outside the home with my five days off, such as volunteer work, library, ymca, any new and exciting thing, etc.

The move really was to be closer to my grandson, being able to move it to the land I bought in Colorado when he doesn't need me, almost being stung by how to get rid of a moble home in a park, hating apartments due to people being too close, etc.

kdlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
A late reply here. My wife and I just sold another house, and this time we've a trailer to live in as we renovate the next house to then sell in Dallas (purchased an orpahn vintage kin, a 1983 34' Silver Streak. We're currently at Sandy Lake RV Park in the far northwest corner of Dallas at the intersection of I-35E and the 190 tollroad. Perfect access to Dallas via tollroads (30" with light traffic to downtown) and this is a nice park with small spaces. Owner is scheduled to put in electric meters soon ($40,000 bills rumor has it; a friend owns a park south of FTW and is spending better than $80,000 annually on electric. Dallas/FTW is seven months of A/C in a house, car or trailer so be ready for bills broken down). Rent for full-time residents is nearing $600 at present, bills paid at this park (call for true numbers, we're here a week or two at a time).

Moving farther out is an option, but traffic, cents-per-mile on TV and general hassle increase. Intown RV parks are disappearing, can think of three gone just past few years in East Dallas.

For affordability, I'd look towards FTW first, then towards US-175. I'd also contact all the commercial real estate companies with signs out to call for for a "security" job at a piece of land recently optioned. More than one "resident" of some recent zoning changes was a real estate company employee voting his boss' interest. I'd also contact all the regional airports, storage facilities, etc that may have an interest in an on-site employee available evenings, nights and weekends. Contact RV repair facilities as well. Big construction sites. Ingenuity counts.

Would be curious to hear how it works (has worked) for you. Wife and I are trying to break away from big city.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Smile Neat thread - I've got a few insights

Hey there. Great thread, and lots of super thoughts!

I've been full timing in my Airstream since March 11th, 2006. From Nov 18th of 06 - December 20th I was not in the Airstream, but then popped back in. So, over a year on board easily.

I actually think full timing is possible in a 25, since I have one. The fact of the matter is that if you have a job you're not cooped up in it all day. You'll be off at work, hanging out in a larger space (unless you work inside pipes or something), and at the end of the day the Airstream is a comfy spot. As long as you're out a fair bit I don't see the issue with a small space as your home.

Location is a whole different thing. I've been through Dallas / Ft. Worth, and it gets hot there. Your AC will run all day long! That will wear on the AC for sure. And, as 2Air noted earlier, systems make break down quicker. So far in my situation everything has run well. A few loose screws here and there (me and the Airstream), and a desire for a better workspace than my dinette.

I'm willing to bet if you were 30 - 40 miles out of Dallas you'd find a decent park. But that's quite a commute in that traffic (the place really freaked me out on driving).

Oh, and on cost. My 04' 25 ft Safari ran me about $35K. Not so cheap, but better than the list price at the dealer. New ones are going up too.

Good luck, I'm heading off to check the post originator's blog now. Funny, I posted an article on living in smaller spaces on my blog today, and then I find this thread.
Rich C.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #18
Currently Looking...
Newport Beach , California
I'm Pondering Fulltiming in Los Angeles/Orange County

I'm considering fulltiming in the city as well (at least initially). My idea is to work my current position (which pays well) and take exploratory trips during the weekends. On the weekends I plan to build up my portfolio of for sale photographs (which I hope will generate income to facilitate longer weekend getaways). My goal is to transition into a fulltime and somewhat mobile lifestyle in which I am generating income through building code consulting, photography and design activities. On a related note I'm also considering the purchase of cheap property in the desert as a home base for a metal and wood shop (to produce for sale artisan furniture pieces) and RV hookups.

This wanderlust doesn't go away, but it's frightening too. I lived in my truck with a camper shell for nearly a year and hand a wide range of experiences during the time (while working), some good, some bad. The potential for isolation is what concerns me the most. At this time I'm considering an International CCD 27 FB--quite livable and if I dare say luxurious?

However, affordable space options are limited around here, this idea is not as appealing if I have to spend a fortune to park in So Cal. My budget is about $600 a month for space rent--but I don't want to live in a depressing park. Beauty is important to me, that's why I like Airstreams!

Any insight anyone may have would be appreciated.
Atomic #13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #19
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Airstream Living...

While we weren't necessarily fulltiming, I guess we were...

About 3 years ago, we lived in Tyler, Tx for about 4 years. Had the usual house for about 2 years then found some land about 3 miles outside of town - beautiful, half-acre pond, year-round creek running through it, tall pines and costal grass, close to everything that mattered.

Ended up with a 1200 sq.ft. steel building, 1/2 of which was a day room, kitchen and full bath (12" sheetrocked interior walls, built-in book cases, scored concrete floors, 15' beaded-wood ceilings, fully tiled bathrood and killer jacuzzi tub - granite counters in the kitchen). The other half was a laundry room, huge cedar lined closet (15X15) and shop (with the garage door opening. Everything, central heat and air. We poured a slab for the Airstream off the side and equiped it with full hook-ups. The Airstream was the bedroom and bedroom-living room in the evening. Great on a stormy, saturday afternoon watching old movies...

Now, we're living in central Austin, nice home but not in the country where we can simply back the truck to the Airstream and take off like we used to.

The A/S was perfect. We essentially "lived" in it for close to two years and nothing failed us. Just regular maintenance and everything worked.

In a few years, this is what we'll plan our retirement on. Been there, done that. It worked.
Bill & Kim
34 Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #20
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Forgot to mention... because it was a steel building, the county assessed it as a "barn" (didn't matter what the inside looked like). Now we had a costal grass and timber exemption (about 8 acres total from the 12 acres land) so our taxes were, when we moved back to Austin, $160 a year. They'd gone up $10 from the previous year... We had alot of metal art pinned on the building - 10' metal lizzards, cactus, suns... moons... planets... well, you get the idea.

Gonna do that again... soon.
Bill & Kim
34 Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Isn't there another website where the moderator (Hunter?) lives in a 25' Airstream? I have a 25" Classic and I think that one person could probably full time in it.There's no doubt it would be tight though.I think my first house cost less than the Airstream. A good used 25' would be about $15,000.00 and I wouldn't even consider anything older than say a 94-95, and a 1996 widebody would be even better. You can do most anything you put your mind to.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I checked out the original poster's website, but he hasn't updated it since September. Too bad, I was interested to hear how his experiment would go, even if he never did get an AS to live in.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
miami , Florida
I have a Friend here in south miami within city limits. He parks his RV(not an AS btw) in his driveway well into his yard. He and a Plumber Buddy dug up the sewer line from his house and cut the 4" PVC and put a T Fitting into the line. From this he ran a short length of Pipe with a Threaded connection at just above ground level. He connects his sewage hose from the RV directly to his city sewage pipe. When its not connected, he simply screws the Cap into the line. Works like a Champ and never had a problem with Zoning, Inspectors ect.Cost of marterials less then $20 plus a $100 Bill to his plumber buddy. Find a person who is willing to do this and offer them $300 per month for rent. Here in Miami this would greatly help with Homeowner's insurance and Property taxes.I'm sure there are others who would take an offer like this; be creative....

Mikeinmiami is offline   Reply With Quote