Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus

Way back in the olden days (late '70s)...I was very interested in the silver trailers, Airstream, Silver Streak and Avion. Then I got busy with life. In the early '90s, I thought I had a new career offer which led me to renew my interest. To make a long story short, I decided on Airstream and began looking. Another career opportunity opened up and I planed to "full-time" while doing my traveling job. After much research, I bought a 1986 Argosy 32'. A couple of months later, I quickly downsized and moved into it temporarily. Then the economy changed, I had a couple of contracts broken and I never left town. But I "full-timed" in that Argosy for 12 years, until I bought a Nuwa Hitchhiker.

Now, I guess I am full-timing in the Hitchhiker. But amazingly, I still haven't left town towing anything. I don't even own a tow vehicle now.

i still have the '86 Argosy and am contemplating what to do. It is a great product, GVRW 7000lbs. i think I will probably be able to finally start traveling in two or three years, even periodically. Now, I'm considering selling the Argosy and later, when i am ready to travel, buying a 17' Casita, fiberglass and light weight.

The Argosy is in good condition but has middle-age problems. Probably could use a new upgraded AC on top. Then there are furnace problems and refer problems and general maintainance issues. A few thousand could put it in great shape, but then I would have to store it...then buy a big ole 3/4 ton when i wanted to take a trip or go on the road.

Ya know, 14 years ago, life was different. I was still in my 40s. I wanted to travel around and see the country, teaching my music seminar or doing whatever I could with that big ole Argosy. I was single then and i am single now. Times have changed and I have changed. But somehow, part of that enthusiasm has mellowed where i am looking for more convenience than struggle with a 7000 pound trailer on the road.

Currently, I am in the pondering mode, pondering my dilemma, trying to decide if I should sell it or not. It's gonna be at least 2 or 3 more years before I can travel with a trailer. So...hmmm...I'm still thinking...and moving very slow in my decisions.

But I call myself a full-timer, since I have lived full-time in an RV for 14 years, making plans to hit the road in an RV and have no plans to buy a house in the near future.

Life is too short. Do it NOW!!!
The Don Pod

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote