Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
How do you define 'full time'?

How do most of you define "full time?"

Is it when the AS is your only residence (you no longer own a stationary home)?

Or do you consider spending extended periods of time (i.e. months) in the AS to be "full-timing?"
JakeSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
That's a real good question. Some insurance companies consider you to be a full-timer if you use the rig more than 60 days in a year - or at least they charge you the higher rate...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
the former.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
full timer

Insurance really does not define full timining in my experience...one's insurance for a tow vehicle can cover the rv while in motion...it is when the rv is parked that different insurance is put into play///then a "homeowners" type policy covers the rv in liability and other situations and the policy then can cover the rv while in motion...or be covered by the tow vehicles insurance just as a matter of being towed....there again your mileage may vary...but investigation thru the escapees club information and experience will bear this out....

certainly a classic definition of full timining would clearly be that the rv was your only domicile....end of story

of course one can define full timing as one wishes ...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I use this Airstream to live in and work out of like a contractor that parks his office at the work site.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Common question. One answer would be that fulltiming is the amount of time most RV forums spend discussing the definition of fulltiming... :-)

Even people who own no other residence occasionally visit relatives or travel without their traylah. In some cases they do so extensively. Then again there are people who own one or more stationary homes which they do not use or only use rarely.

Another definition is that fulltimers are anyone who spends at least as much time in their traylah as the person defining fulltiming :-) Many people are seasonal fulltimers alternating between a stick home in the summer and a traylah in the winter, or less often, vice versa.

Two facts to consider:
1) Most people who call themselves "fulltimers" spend a substantial amount of time -- weeks or months -- living somewhere besides their traylah every year
2) The practical problems of fulltiming tend to be the same anytime you spend more than 6 or 8 consecutive weeks in the trailer as they would be if you spent 6 or 8 months. The limited space, what to do with stuff, how to do mail, license renewals.

I myself do not understand the cachet that apparently comes from being able to call oneself a fulltimer. No doubt someone who does will be along shortly to provide a concrete definition.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
Islander

trailer trash badge of honour

most aspire to be full time...but can only move jaws and make futile "camping" type motions ...that can be called full time at the water cooler...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Islander

so consult webster

we sold our house and hit the road March 31, 2010...home is where you park it, they say..living in our 25ft safari...less than 90 days...we are traveling America..ostensibly searching for a place to shed the stream and take up residence in a different type of domicile...For now, our airstream is our domicile, ful time......the two of us, and two 35lb english cocker spaniels.....we are comfortable and having a ball...looking at new and different spots around the country, envisoning being domiciled at this location or that....

recently coming upon the idea that we may buy a house on the great lakes, close to the shore and a marina and then purchase a Nordic Tug and cruise on the great lakes and crusie the highways in our airstream.....
then to have a boat, an airstream and a shore bound house...alll pleasant dreams to while away the times looking to the future......

so possibly this is full time dreaming
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
anything over 28 hours a week is full time. over 40 hours is overtime ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
anything over 28 hours a week is full time. over 40 hours is overtime ;-)
Is that WORKING on the 'stream or Livin' in it?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
You Have Just Scratched the Surface

Oh Kingfisher you have just scratched the surface. Wait until you have seen the coast of Washington or Oregon. Traveled route 50 across the United States or traveled the trans Canada Highway. Gone Halibut fishing in Homer, Alaska. Maybe a trip through Mexico to Belize. You will fall in love with each of these place. That is the true joy of full timing and enjoying the Journey. Keep us up to date on your travels and the wonderful places you visit.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
i didn't know that they could be separated!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
As of about 6pm tonight, both! (Assuming everything fits in storage easily...)
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
san diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSpoon View Post
How do most of you define "full time?"

Is it when the AS is your only residence (you no longer own a stationary home)?

Or do you consider spending extended periods of time (i.e. months) in the AS to be "full-timing?"
the former. someone asks you where you live, and you say, "my airstream".
shinyteepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Full-timing...in one location?

Way back in the olden days (late '70s)...I was very interested in the silver trailers, Airstream, Silver Streak and Avion. Then I got busy with life. In the early '90s, I thought I had a new career offer which led me to renew my interest. To make a long story short, I decided on Airstream and began looking. Another career opportunity opened up and I planed to "full-time" while doing my traveling job. After much research, I bought a 1986 Argosy 32'. A couple of months later, I quickly downsized and moved into it temporarily. Then the economy changed, I had a couple of contracts broken and I never left town. But I "full-timed" in that Argosy for 12 years, until I bought a Nuwa Hitchhiker.

Now, I guess I am full-timing in the Hitchhiker. But amazingly, I still haven't left town towing anything. I don't even own a tow vehicle now.

i still have the '86 Argosy and am contemplating what to do. It is a great product, GVRW 7000lbs. i think I will probably be able to finally start traveling in two or three years, even periodically. Now, I'm considering selling the Argosy and later, when i am ready to travel, buying a 17' Casita, fiberglass and light weight.

The Argosy is in good condition but has middle-age problems. Probably could use a new upgraded AC on top. Then there are furnace problems and refer problems and general maintainance issues. A few thousand could put it in great shape, but then I would have to store it...then buy a big ole 3/4 ton when i wanted to take a trip or go on the road.

Ya know, 14 years ago, life was different. I was still in my 40s. I wanted to travel around and see the country, teaching my music seminar or doing whatever I could with that big ole Argosy. I was single then and i am single now. Times have changed and I have changed. But somehow, part of that enthusiasm has mellowed where i am looking for more convenience than struggle with a 7000 pound trailer on the road.

Currently, I am in the pondering mode, pondering my dilemma, trying to decide if I should sell it or not. It's gonna be at least 2 or 3 more years before I can travel with a trailer. So...hmmm...I'm still thinking...and moving very slow in my decisions.

But I call myself a full-timer, since I have lived full-time in an RV for 14 years, making plans to hit the road in an RV and have no plans to buy a house in the near future.

Don

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote