Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Talking House sold - one step closer to fulltiming

Well, it's official. Since Cosmo had a home in South Austin, we decided to "test the market" and put our home up for sale last month. I expected it to sell in 3-6 months, not have multiple offers in 3 days...ergo my departure from the forums for a while....

Anyways, our "daydream" of living in groovy south Austin full timing in Cosmo is now reality. We closed on the sale of our home today!

Prim and I will still work in Austin, so our dream of full timing on the road has not come true just yet... but we are one step closer....

The act of purging a home and it's furnishings gave us a nice "cleansing" feeling. Live small, keep only what we really want or need.

Selling our home has now given us so many options... we can still work, and if one day the high tech market crashes again and we loose our jobs, we won't be in a panic to pay the mortgage, or...if we get fed up with work, we can walk away, and hit the road to find a new place and re-invent ourselves again.

One step closer to being on the road and following our dreams and passions....

Those in Austin are welcome to stop by and say hi and introduce yourselves to us. Upcoming celebration party is in the works.....

See ya in the trailer park!!!
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Congratulations man! Cutting loose from the 'stuff' is really liberating. Keep us posted on how things progress.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations! Small and less is good.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
Sounds like you guys have a great plan....
blueiwahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'm glad I have an eye exam scheduled...I thought the title had something to do with waste products from a horse.
We fulltimed for about a year and a half, it was a freeing experience.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
We're very happy for you. I can't imagine the feeling....Someday maybe..!!! Someday.
stufarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Congratulations

We are happy the two of you are closer to your dream.

Best thing we did, but with one caveat- we stuffed our stuff into storage. We regret not getting rid of everything right away. We have now dedicated this year to getting rid of it all. Its going to kids or Goodwill.

Of course we could be having more fun at the HOTC campouts, but if we keep putting it off til next time that time never comes.

Best wishes to both of you.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Wow! Congrats! Got for it and live the dream. Life is too short not to.

See you down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
WoW, Kid's!!! Good for you... Was at the mother ship getting parts for DaRitz!!! Had to go eat at the pinnacle all by my lonesome... Now, Im thinking about going wild with a Interior like yours going with blacks and graphite and reds and aluminium walls, rubber floor.. I don't know!! DIMMER
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We full time and enjoy it a whole lot...you will never go back cause you will be too busy going anywhere you want from now on with your house...your just a hitch a way.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Houseless

Congratulations on your cleansing! We have just begun the process and it feel great. What in the world were we thinking when we acquired all of this stuff! We are looking to find a place to call home in Austin or nearby for a part-time home. Are you staying in a RV park? Can you recommend one to consider? Hope you continue to have great luck in your quest.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Congrats! I am soooo jealous! I just typed a message to a good friend in Canada and said how I wish I could move into my Silver Olive. But I am having so much fun camping right now that I can't find "the want" to do the work to get my home back on the market.
Please give us the details on how you're purging: what is going where, what you will keep, etc. It does sound liberating but I think I'd have some trouble with particular items ....
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
great---hope for me

We put the sign in the front yard a week ago, had an open house and good traffic...but no cigar yet...as groucho would say.... we can't wait to "have no house" and hit the road...there are so many places to go and things to see....and cooler places, temp wise..also...
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
That's liberating! Less is more, less is more . . .
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Know the feeling guy's!

I've been homeless since 2000 and have never looked back!

See ya in a Laramie in a few days!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Lander , Wyoming
My husband and I just went houseless and its been sort of stressful because it's and airstream we are "borrowing" and it was a little run down and we couldn't get hardly anythign to work at first-- but now we have a working stove and fridge, and hot water and our black tank finally emptied (what a scare that was).

We think it needs new batteries because although it says the batteries are charged if we unplug it from both the truck and the the rv park every thing died including the fridge. We had to throw quite a bit of food out in the beginning. I think there wasn't even enough juice to run the controller to tell it to use gas.
minamyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #17

1978 31' Excella 500
Woodward , Oklahoma
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. My first post on this forum, I am currently "cleansing" myself. Down to two rooms and about to make the final purge and move into my (new to me) 31'er. Working in the oilfields means the constant threat of layoffs, this way I am free to go anywhere to look for work.

Was amazed to learn that I overbought big-time on my pulling rig, a one-ton Dodge/Cummins is overkill with these beauties. Always heard Airstreams pulled like a dream but this is incredible!
electracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Did the same - I had two houses, put them up for sale with hopes of selling one. Both were under contract in 2 to 3 days. Now! Where do I go? I moved into my AS that was/ and is still under complete renovation. Junk in storage locker - biggest mistake I ever made. Paying $ every month for stuff I don't ever need again. Better that you keek only what you need - get rid of everything. When you need it again, go and buy it. Cheaper in the long run. Smartest move I've made in years. Loving living in the AS. Enjoy.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
springfield , Massachusetts
wonderful! what a wonderful way to live! being a minimalist myself, i could handle living this way, but situational stuff prevents it. however, it's just great KNOWING that people are doing it!
i can never get that Cyndy Lauper video[ title: 'time to time'?] out of my mind wherein she lives in a tiny airstream. it truly captured my imagination.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #20

Raleigh , North Carolina
I have many questions for those who have gone "houseless" and live FT in an Airstream. I couldn't find the link to post a new thread.

Here are my questions:

a) Are you always on the go? How long do you stay in one place?
b) If you are still working at a job, where do you park? Aren't campsites expensive in the long term? What other options are there?
c) For those who have downsized, I think I can get rid of everything except antiques handed down in the family AND a lot of family photos. Isn't it difficult to get rid of sentimental items? I think I'd regret it the rest of my life because they all bring back memories. Do you have any regrets? What have you kept that you didn't really NEED, but you WANTED?
d) How is your mail handled? Do you rent a local PO box? What if you move around a lot?
e) For those who travel, do you just keep out of the North and Midwest during the winter?
f) What about Internet connections? How are they in campgrounds?
g) Does anyone work remotely from an Airstream via computer? Is your connection stable enough?
h) Is there any way to easily "boondock" and have Internet connection? How about through your cellphone? What about cellphone reception? Advice?

Thanks!

Mrs. Romance
mrs.romance is offline   Reply With Quote