Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
There will always be those who think they know better how to live our lives than we do. They simply do not understand that independence is the result of making our own individual choices and that independence is the lifestyle we choose.

Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #16
2005 28' International CCD
houseless we remain

We realize that there are those who have been traveling full time in their airstreams much longer than we, and we realize there are those who live in their airstreams fulltime

but we travel on...not campers, not tourists...just travelers moving restlessly to see what can be seen.

And with that we have finished the first leg of our journey...a six month treck in search of the elusive hot air balloon....

we are now in Texas so dw can go to doctor for routine maintenance, to see family and friends

we are situated in the beautiful state park at inks lake and have the place almost to ourselvs...planning the next adventure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2272.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	112530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2286.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	112531  

and the Four P's(Paula, Phoenix and Peabody II and Pearl)…Peabody is here…..
2013 GMC sierra denali
WBCCI 2541

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
I don't think a person is 'homeless' if his/her home is mobile. A person who lives under a bridge without shelter is homeless. The rest of us claiming to be so are just slumming.
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Kathleenh (above) expressed my sentiments exactly.
Airstream of Consciousness
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1971 25' Tradewind
Louisville , Kentucky
I full time in an airstream, and yes I consider myself a high functioning homeless person. Just one perspective from inside.
70s guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #20
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
I think we should not be too caught up in a term like homeless. Many folks think negatively about the label, some wear it proudly. We don't think about the label one way or the other but are very very happy to be without our 3k sf former home.

Last summer in Osoyoos BC we had a fine visit with a bicyclist who very carefully explained to us, she and many folks like her she encounters are without a house per choice. She has not had a permanent residence in over thirty years and it suits her, she told us, perfectly.

We had been driving/towing along highway 3 through Crows Nest pass westward and every couple of days we would pass this same bicyclist. Finally, in Osoyoos, we had pulled off the highway into a siding while we reconnoitered for a glass shop to repair our drivers side glass. (

She pulled her bicycle over with us and we talked half an hour about our respective lifestyles. She has no house, not much of a tent nor bag, carries a change of clothes, some water, and little food. She lightly complained people often try to give her food but they don't realize a bicyclist's sensitivity to cargo weight.

Anyway, she has, for over thirty years, bicycled between Toronto and Vancouver. She house sits and works various short-time jobs to afford her one luxury -- annual snowbird trek to southern hemisphere, where she again will sometimes do sorts of odd jobs to help pay her ticket back to Canada for our summer weathers.

A much simpler version of our plan. And she's far fitter than we although our senior by ten years.

And yes, she calls herself homeless. She says she is proud of her self-sustaining low-impact lifestyle. She meets interesting people all over the world, every day is different, and she goes where and when she wants.

Homeless is must a label. As always, there's another story beneath.

regards, Jim
Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
I consider myself "HAPPILY HOUSE-FREE" !!!!!! YAY!!!!!

bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Having a house is highly overrated. I am house poor, and couldn't get rid of it if I wanted to - but I don't really want to - not yet, anyway. But it's nice to dream...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #23
Georgetown , Texas
The following is one legal definition of, homeless, no doubt there are more.

To be homeless is to be:

"an individual who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence or a person who resides in a shelter, welfare hotel, transitional program or place not ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations, such as streets, cars, movie theatres, adandoned buildings, etc. People in jail are not homeless."

Clearly living in an Airstream, or most any other kind of RV (unless of course that RV is upside down in a land-fill), does not qualify one as being homeless.

Also, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines, homeless, as:

"having no home or permanent place of residence"

Permanent as used above does not reference a brick and mortar dwelling, but rather a repeatable place of residence, like say an Airstream, that you might sleep in often no matter its location.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #24
2005 28' International CCD

To not own tangible, fixed real property, in america, in "our society" it places one, in the eyes of our "financial" appratus" as suspect at best....when one only has a post office box; no "street address", the officials look at you as suspect and a transient......... with no "legal" domicile.

and then there is the question...if one lives in an airstream or SOB and does not move or only moves that different in the concept of "fulltime" versus....a continous traveler that rarely stays in one place for more than a week
and the Four P's(Paula, Phoenix and Peabody II and Pearl)…Peabody is here…..
2013 GMC sierra denali
WBCCI 2541

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Livingston , Texas
I have an address and am regsister voter by the law, I have a legal domicile!
Look at how many members of congress do the same thing. Papa Bush legal domicile was a hotel suite in Houston when he was president. Tell that to any offical who want to question you!

I am a "Livingston Texan."
Living the fulltime RV dream in a Airstream Classic 325 motorhome.
Rv-Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Originally Posted by Kathleenh View Post
I don't think a person is 'homeless' if his/her home is mobile. A person who lives under a bridge without shelter is homeless. The rest of us claiming to be so are just slumming.
Definitely agree. Do you want a fixed address? Or do you not own a house because you can't afford it / it burned down / you were thrown out by the landlord. Intent has a lot to do with placing yourself in the homeless category.

We consider the Airstream our second home, and as soon as this summer may take a stab at it being our sole residence. I can't say for sure that we won't feel a bit homeless without a fixed address; but if we have supply, shelter, our dogs and each other - I don't imagine we'll feel homeless for very long, regardless if it's transitional or longterm.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
This is an interesting thread... I guess I would consider myself neither homless or full time adveturer, but I always joke that since I have the motorhome and the airstream that I have a summer home and a winter home...

We live in a trailer park full time and love it. We have our own address/mailbox so I have a "residence" by definition, even though all our homes have wheels...

I guess I'll have to figure out what season the 2nd Airstream I just got will be. I guess it will have to be a spring or fall home since it's vintage and doesn't have an AC unit (yet)!

Kevin & Prim Li
Bandit the Siberian Husky (RIP) & "G" the Min-Pin (RIP)
Cosmo the Custom 2008 27FB Intl CCD
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote