Old 11-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Homeless, No cardboard sign

Hi, Need experienced advice. We are very close to retirement. We have not found our retirement home yet and at this point will more than likely sell our existing home and put our belongings in storage. We will be technically homeless. Although living in our trailer, we will not have a home address. This leads to my questions.
1. How do we pay our bills? Cell phone, credit cards Etc.
2. Get pulled over by a cop and asked, "Is this your correct address on your license?" If not why didn't you change it?
3. Can we still have a valid driver's license without a home address?
4. How do we handle banking?
5. What will the effect of my insurance be without a home address?
6. Mail, How will I get my Trailer life, Motor Trend, And Hot Rod magazines.
7. Any other questions I should ask to help us servive while being homeless, while looking for our retirement home?

Thank You, For Any Help You May Have To Help Us If And When We Become Homeless.

ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Bob,

Will you have access to a laptop/computer?..if so, I would suggest a solution for #1 and #4, if you hadn't considered it: how 'bout paying your bills online to your bank or credit union?..I do that now, and it cuts down on envelopes, could also get an ATM card to get cash or use a bank debit card for purchases.

codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1971 29' Ambassador
Merritt , British Columbia
Check out the Escapees RV Club. This is a club that's made up of mostly fulltimers. They have a great mail forwarding service, and have a number of campgrounds you can use as a home base.

Another option is to buy into a campground co-op - there are number of them around the USA, especially in California. If you want to really experience freedom, you can also shop around for a new state to base yourself.

When my wife and I first started fulltiming, we had a relative "rent" us a room, and that became our home address. Our relative would then forward our mail to us. This also became our address for our drivers licences, etc.

We're now thinking of buying a lot at an RV park. Although we'll spend probably less than 4 months a year in it, it will be a good home base for us, and settle residency requirements for moving back and forth between Canada and the USA (Trying to cross the border when you're fulltiming can sometimes be an adventure if the border guard thinks you're a "gypsy".)
ayresdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our daughter's inlaws full timed in a motor home for 4-5 years. They placed their belongings in storage, sold much of everything including their home and took off. They signed up with the Good Sam Club and took advantage of their address for car and motorhome registration and mail forwarding service. A laptop kept them in touch with friends and family. We heard from them more than any other time. They now live in a cottage in Carmel, Ca. and very happy with all the travels they did. They traveled the whole country including Alaska. You have a very Happy Retirement now!
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1996 34' Excella
Sanford , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
I have a web link that I think can be of service for you and anyone thinking of going full time. Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!!
These guys have the whole thing wired pretty much complete with budgets. Hope this helps.
There are two types of people in this world. Those that have an Airstream and those that wish they did. I feel sorry for the have-nots. HEE HEE
Folkie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Bob -

I took early retirement 6 years ago, and although my wife and I aren't homeless and although we only spend 4-5 months on the road in the summer and fall, we do have some of the same needs/issues that you'll have.

I believe the best solution to your banking, bill paying, etc. needs is to do as much as possible electronically and on-line. Get a good computer with WiFi capability, and the best internet provider you can find, consistent with your budget and where you'll be travelling to.

As others have already said, get yourself a bank that has a good online bill paying system, have your sources of income (like pensions and social security) electronically deposited in that account, use credit cards to charge anything and every possible expense that you incur, and pay all of your bills online.

You won't get every nickel and dime handled that way but you should be able to eliminate 99% of your paper and mail forwarding needs, have better overall control of your money and record keeping.

I have an account at Fidelity Investments ( that I'm very satisfied with. I earn almost 5% on my idle cash at the moment, get great service and recordkeeping, and I really like their online bill paying function, which is free (so I like it even better!).

Most fulltimers pick a state of residency that best suits their individual needs, such as those states where thay can minimize their overall expenses and taxes. South Dakota or Texas (historically) have been 2 such states. Many RVers with expensive RV's also establish corporations in Montana to avoid paying state sales taxes on their RV purchases. As far as I know, you'd get your driver's license in the same state that you pick for your legal residence.

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings Bob-

Check out the Good Sams magazine and some of the other magazines out there that deal with SOB's. There are a lot of companies, especially in Florida that deal with full timers needs including providing an address for permanent residence.
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
We use our son for a forwarding agent. He lives in the same town we did before moving into our trailer. All our bills are paid electronicly, mostly automaticly. Our income $$ is direct deposited and we keep track of it via the internet with our laptop. Really quit simple once it's all set up. We use our sons mailing address and about once a month ,or sooner if I call him, he drops it in a pre paid postage box and sends it to us where ever that happens to be.----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Northern Illinois , Illinois
The Escapees site is dedicated specifically to fulltimers. The attached link should have threads that answer all you quetions.

Escapees Discussion Forum - Powered by eve community

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
springfield , Massachusetts
thankyou, Folkie53, for that link. i saved it to my favorites.

for myself, were i ever to 'go off the grid' vis a vis living fulltime in a RV vehicle, i would get one of those internet packages for my cellphone. i'd pay my bills that way and read my email and shop, too. [as far as answering email, i'd find a library and use their pc's for this task]. for me, this would be cheaper than having to pay for an icp and connection. at&T offers internet for 15.00 which includes everything. i'd called them about this and i was told that kbs would be included. my cellphone plan without 'net connection costs 45.00 or so a month [with taxes and fees], so an addition of 15 bux would make it 60. probably the cheapest way to go...

as for regular/physical mail, if the RV park is located near a post office, one could get a PO box...
snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
tell me more..

not to hijack...but, tell me how your making 5% on idle cash. Is it a Madoff company?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Workampers site

Here's a picture of the page from the 'workampers website...thanks to yall's input we signed up to it this morning...a one year subscription costs 39.00 and you get it online and everything...! We went thru all the pages listing ads and saw many many many situations that involved working in trade for lot rent...but you will have to see for yourself...they have a 1-800 no# and the ladys' name is Kathy...she signed us up right then and there...I think you all will like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1617.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	595.7 KB
ID:	76872  
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Married to Soldiermedic
San Antonio , Texas
Get a P.O box somewhere. That would solve the address problem on the lisence.
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
Check the date of the post

Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
not to hijack...but, tell me how your making 5% on idle cash. Is it a Madoff company?
That was in 2007................before our big crash. pj

Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
Bandit our Boxer
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote