Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #1

los angeles , California
Smile Hollywood Couple Moving to Austin in Brand new '09 A/S. Need Advice

My wife and I Live on Hollywood Blvd. in the most exciting area of Los Angeles. WE ARE SICK OF IT! Today we purchased a Brand new A/S 28' International CCD. We are having it custom built and expect delivery in 3-5 weeks. We are getting rid of everything we own and moving into it Full-Time. We are currently looking for property near Austin Texas. Until then we are looking for a temporary rv park we can live in for a few months until me make a land purchase. I need help finding the right place to live, where we can park it and live. any suggestions?
jamin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
No suggestions, just a welcome to the forums! I'm sure some of our Texas members will have lots of helpful information for you.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hey fellow Angelino!

I lived in Laurel Canyon for years and then went nuts and moved to the Suburban ghetto.

What part of the world do you want to stay in while you look for dirt?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #4

los angeles , California
sorry, we are looking for a good temporary rv park in the Austin area while searching for property. A place that would allow us to stay for 2-3 months.
jamin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin242 View Post
sorry, we are looking for a good temporary rv park in the Austin area while searching for property. A place that would allow us to stay for 2-3 months.
I don't know if this will be close enough for you:http://www.airforums.com/reviews/sho...oduct=8&cat=33
If not, there are a couple more in Texas that may be closer to where you want to go.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Your are undertaking quite an adventure, best of luck.

I'm not personally familiar with any campgrounds in the Austin area. I would start with RV and Tent Camping, RV Rentals, Campground Directories - Woodall's and querry RV campgrounds within 25 miles of Austin.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
How did you settle on Austin? Do you have to be in commuting distance? That was my favorite small city of 90,000 when I was growing up in S.A. Time has done a lot -- including greatly increasing interest in rural acreage.

In May I drove 290 west of Austin and then southwest down FM-165 toward Blanco. By looks there is a mighty nice private campground on the river as you near Blanco. Seemed to be the type of place snowbirds would be attracted to. Don't know anything about it though.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
One of the most interesting camp grounds in America is right in Downtown AUSTIN, along the river. It's the PECAN GROVE, doing their bit to Help Keep Austin Weird.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
jamin242,

we are a bit ahead of you. we moved here (austin) from santa cruz about three years ago. we bought land and built our home our way. we have a blog that tracked the progress of our home build but has sort of morphed into a day to day life of life in austin and living in a modern/green home w/ it's bohemian inhabitants; also our airstream habit.

Austin ModHouse

pics of our home here (first 21 are ours)
Austin Energy Green Build Program Residential Projects

as noted above, pecan grove is THE place to stay. BUT, it's not easy to get into. my mom has been on the waiting list for two years. you will have better luck getting a short term spot there. otherwise, just about your only option will be

Austin Lonestar RV Park | Main

feel free to contact me if I can help in any way.

paul AT austinmodhouse DOT com
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
btw, it can be a myth that the living is cheaper in tx. new CA arrivals every day buy a huge home far out. but RE here close to the things that make living in austin great (live music, restaurants, art galleries etc) can cost just as much or more than most CA locations. cost of building custom is $200 per sq ft and up, and a a teardown in a good location can be 500k. of course, the prices fall fast the further you get from downtown. some beautiful land in hays county (dripping springs/wimberley/ hamilton pool) can still be attained at sane prices... anyhow, give me a call if you want to talk RE.
512-587-7310
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
There's a new RV park on Hudson Bend Rd at Lake Travis (west of Austin) which has all the amenities.

La Hacienda RV Resort

Austin is no longer cheap (actually it hasn't been in a long time) - the great influx of international money here has sent the cost of everything way up (except wages).
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #12

2007 25' International CCD
Angwin , California
CK out Horseshoe Bay on lake LBJ. It is near Marble Falls. 45min from Austin. A great place on the Lake, worth a look! Lake LBJ is the only constant level lake in the series of lakes flowing through Austin.
Horseshoe Bay is a resort area with Country Club, with 3 out of the top 5 golf courses in Texas. Good Luck

Daniel Sereni
dsereni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wonder how Austin did in Hurricane Ike...?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's too bad that Austin hasn't been part of Texas since the late 1970's. That said, one may need to scout an hour or more out from the city (non rush hour) to find a campground that is amenable, and to keep in mind that traffic in the metro area is terrible as there are few main roads that flow well (I'd rather drive in Dallas or Houston any day so far as commuting is concerned; assuming that one lives IN the city). It may be that a park waaay out is best, but that one has a decent breakfast place to start the day closer in to the worksite (the sort of choice I made in re-doing some houses in Dallas).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
No problems here - it was a swing and a miss for Ike in Austin.

A large jet of hot, low humidity air came shooting over Austin from the north yesterday and that helped to push the hurricane away as well as prevent any feeder bands from developing over the area. Too bad really because we needed the rain.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
What a jump! Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy the change.

Best Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!!
I have never been to Hollywood but I'll bet it's a little different than Austin. If you really like rural life, I've got a beautiful 54 acre horse farm for sale in the rolling bluegrass of SouthCentral Kentucky and I'll bet it's cheaper than Austin. We want to see pictures of the new Stream. Best of luck!!

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
quarantine period

For planning purposes, please be advised that there's a mandatory Texas quarantine period for Kalifornicians moving into Texas. It's usually about 90 days, but being from Hollywood adds a month to that. You can test out of it depending on attitude, how fast you wean off of frapaccino lattes, and a wardrobe replacement. Actually, since you're talking Austin you'll be able to keep the frapaccino lattes.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Welcome

Nice to see that you are choosing Austin. Here in Texas we like to keep all of the weirdness in one place.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #20
Airdreamer

1999 30' Excella 1000
Canyon Lake , Texas
Another vote for Austin

Austin is a great oasis in Texas. Completely different politically and much more of a close-knit community than Houston or Dallas (lived in Houston for over 30 years). If you're a little weird yourself, or don't mind it in others, you'll love Austin.

It's also an oasis when it comes to home prices. We've shopped for homes close in, and I think they compare pretty well to west coast prices. We actually live at Canyon Lake, about midway between Austin and San Antonio, and prices are much more reasonable here--even if you're on the lake itself. And you can visit Austin one weekend and San Antonio the next.
Dreamnair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
austin, rv parks, texas